or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Anyone know where to get a new blade for this scraper sharpener?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone know where to get a new blade for this scraper sharpener?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

 

Holmenkol scraper sharpener that I got used, any idea where you would find new blades for it?

post #2 of 14
There aren't any listed in my catalogue. Have you tried rotating it? You may have to take a diamond stone to it and resharpen. You might be able to make a knife from a sidewall planer work, but the holm knife is very thin compared the sidewall varieties. Be careful screwing it back in, the nut is on an angle, easy to strip the screw.
post #3 of 14

I just use a utility knife to sharpen my scraper. The scraper doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to scrape wax off.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro12 View Post
 

I just use a utility knife to sharpen my scraper. The scraper doesn't need to be perfect, just needs to scrape wax off.

Really Bro?

 

Once you go Mantac, you'll never go bac!:D

 

 

 http://www.skiscrapersharpener.com/index.htm

post #5 of 14
Haha he just joined a week ago. Go easy.

Bro12: the tuning subforum is for the obsessive. Most aren't looking for general advice unless it truly answers the question posed. You might as well have said I wash my car with dish soap in a car detailing forum
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

Haha he just joined a week ago. Go easy.

Bro12: the tuning subforum is for the obsessive. Most aren't looking for general advice unless it truly answers the question posed. You might as well have said I wash my car with dish soap in a car detailing forum

:ROTF :beercheer:

post #7 of 14

OK, now that, was funny!!! :)

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

Haha he just joined a week ago. Go easy.

Bro12: the tuning subforum is for the obsessive. Most aren't looking for general advice unless it truly answers the question posed. You might as well have said I wash my car with dish soap in a car detailing forum

Well I do wash my bike with dish soap too so I guess I ain't as obsessive as some of you guys are... :p

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post

There aren't any listed in my catalogue. Have you tried rotating it? You may have to take a diamond stone to it and resharpen. You might be able to make a knife from a sidewall planer work, but the holm knife is very thin compared the sidewall varieties. Be careful screwing it back in, the nut is on an angle, easy to strip the screw.


Rotating it was the trick.  Apparently it was a 4 sided blade and I found at least one side that seemed to be sharper.  Doesn't work quite as easily as I was imagining, but works better than the file I was using.

post #10 of 14
Found this in the 09/10 Canadian catalogue. At least you have the part number, ya might have to contact holm direct to get it.
post #11 of 14

Get the blade sharpened. Places that sharpen router bits should be able to do it if you can't yourself. Likely it's a single bevel blade? Use a diamond stone and flatten the side of the point first.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

Haha he just joined a week ago. Go easy.

Bro12: the tuning subforum is for the obsessive. Most aren't looking for general advice unless it truly answers the question posed. You might as well have said I wash my car with dish soap in a car detailing forum

funny....but...

                    I just looked into this last summer. Here's a car detailing forum. The use of Dawn dish soap is common actually for dirty cars unwaxed/sealed cars.  From AutoGeekonline.net:

 

Though this starts a "discussion" similar to rotary/non rotary on epic.

Quote:
This is the process I use for the paint in an initial detail:
1. Wash with Dawn, and then dry.
2. Clay the paint from top down, wiping excess clay lube (I use ONR) from the paint to help against spotting.
3. Use Klasse all it one. This is a cleaner sealant, and it shines up the paint a little bit. You have to work the KAIO into to paint a bit to remove environmental contaminates and leftover wax/sealant that was too strong for the Dawn to remove.
4. Sealant.
5. Carnauba if desired after the sealant has cured.

Now I would never risk washing a vehicle with Dawn after applying any wax; sealant or not. This is where good dedicated car washes are best. When your vehicle’s paint has proper protection (sealant/wax), a regular wash with a good boutique wash (like WG auto bathe; my personal favorite. Others are XMT, Pinnacle, DP, etc.) has immeasurable advantages over a Dawn wash. The boutique carwashes have great lubricants that help prevent marring and make washing a well protected car much easier and more rewarding. When I have used these washes on a waxed car, bugs seem to wash off so much easier (which may actually be a combination of the wax and the wash). I have even noticed more “pop” from a paint job after washing with them. The boutique washed even claim to recondition the existing wax on the vehicle, which may very well be the reason the paint has some extra “pop” after use. In theory, regular washing should help waxes/sealant last longer.

Of course, this is all my opinion and experience.
post #12 of 14

The analogy I was making was like if someone is asking like, "What color 8" pad do you guys use with your portercable DA polisher when doing Browguards  4step color correction technique"   And the answer of "I dunno, I just wash my car with dawn" gets thrown into the mix.  

 

Just like for us, I'm sure using a utility knife could show up in other parts of ski tuning, but the Original question was ultra-specific and way beyond that, and anybody who'd ask a question about sharpening a scraper-sharpener (duh! just use your scrapershapener-shapener), already knows about the various (homebrew) ways to sharpen a scraper.

 

 

:beercheer: 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

The analogy I was making was like if someone is asking like, "What color 8" pad do you guys use with your portercable DA polisher when doing Browguards  4step color correction technique"   And the answer of "I dunno, I just wash my car with dawn" gets thrown into the mix.  

Just like for us, I'm sure using a utility knife could show up in other parts of ski tuning, but the Original question was ultra-specific and way beyond that, and anybody who'd ask a question about sharpening a scraper-sharpener (duh! just use your scrapershapener-shapener), already knows about the various (homebrew) ways to sharpen a scraper.


beercheer.gif  
Lol i get it. But not the Broward's reference.
The new standard answer, or answer standard, appears to be " use a 12 inch draw knife on the base" From Jacques video in the other tuning thread. If you haven't seen it, it's a new classic. He didn't mean it like it came out.

edit: go to about 9:30 in the vid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post


Edited by Tog - 12/10/14 at 8:30pm
post #14 of 14
Lol I just made that up. I needed a noun as obscure as holmenkol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Anyone know where to get a new blade for this scraper sharpener?