or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Your opinion on new skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your opinion on new skis

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Okay so I'm a new member here. I've been lurking around for a while, but the time has come. I've gotten that itch again and have been looking for more skis. I've done some research, but I would like your opinions before I make any rash decisions on what to invest in for my next pair of skis. My current skis are a more all mountain/park ski (Head The Caddy 176cm) and I enjoy them for my local applications, they've skied everything I've thrown at them but they have their limitations.

 

I am from Virginia... and ski in good 'ole By God West Virginia whenever we get a good snow. I also ski more at the local hill 30+ days a season. I've skied Keystone a couple years ago, the North East at Killington, and this year I am taking a trip to J Peak. I have used the Caddy's in the 18" storm we got last season at the local hill and in the tight trees at Timberline (WV) the day after, which had much more snow. I like the Caddy's but I want to add a more off piste oriented ski to my arsenal. They just don't perform all that great in deeper snow conditions. Like I said, J Peak this winter, I'm hoping for a bunch of powder. I want a wider ski that will get the float I need in deeper snow but be nimble to ski trees and rip through the chop while still performing well on groomers to get back to the lift. Does this ski exist?

 

I'm 6'1 205ish. According to http://www.epicski.com/t/66885/explanation-of-the-9-level-ski-ability-scale I'm a level 8 skier. 

 

Thanks for any help.

post #2 of 10

love new skis!:drool

post #3 of 10

Welcome. No, that ski doesn't exist. Everything's a tradeoff. The qualities that make a ski great in soft snow and trees will work against it on ice and firm. A wide ski will love soft snow but can feel sluggish in bumps or tight places. Trees require more float than on-piste. So make a priority list. And keep it real, as in, how many days a year will you get various conditions, how often will you ski various terrain, how good are you. Then decide if your priorities are more about what you actually ski, or what you look forward to skiing. And proceed from there. Good luck. 

post #4 of 10
Remember for that surprise deep dump, you can always rent a pair of powder skis for the day.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

That's true Sibhusky, I may look into demoing a pair at J Peak. That would at least give me an idea or feel for whatever skis they have available. I am still interested in another ski though, mostly because the local places I ski storms at don't offer high quality skis for deeper snow conditions, especially my local hill, there is nothing there for me. :dunno

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 

Welcome. No, that ski doesn't exist. Everything's a tradeoff. The qualities that make a ski great in soft snow and trees will work against it on ice and firm. A wide ski will love soft snow but can feel sluggish in bumps or tight places. Trees require more float than on-piste. So make a priority list. And keep it real, as in, how many days a year will you get various conditions, how often will you ski various terrain, how good are you. Then decide if your priorities are more about what you actually ski, or what you look forward to skiing. And proceed from there. Good luck. 

 

beyond, thanks for your honesty. I am looking to trade off performance in bumps, ice, and firm snow because I already have a ski that does those to the extinct I am interested in at this point. I want another ski so I can really take advantage of variable conditions and terrain when I am presented with it. I make a point to improve on something every time I touch the snow and I want this ski to handle the terrain I look forward to in all reality. My skis now are great for on piste and park, but I want a nimble off-piste tree ski because I like trees and deep snow the best.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed8 View Post
I want another ski so I can really take advantage of variable conditions and terrain when I am presented with it. I make a point to improve on something every time I touch the snow and I want this ski to handle the terrain I look forward to in all reality. My skis now are great for on piste and park, but I want a nimble off-piste tree ski because I like trees and deep snow the best.

Then buy these:  http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/283056-Praxis-GPO-Carbon-187cm-w-o-bindings

Those bindings will be great if you want to start doing a little side country skinning and the GPO kills it.  Read the reviews here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/260642-The-Official-Great-Pacific-Octopus-Thread?highlight=GPO+praxis

Besides, if they sell then I won't buy them;)  I have to many skis already.

post #7 of 10
FWIW, I bought Volkl Shiro's last March. I ski Okemo VT every weekend. Used the Shiro's 119mm under foot in the Spring time, they were awesome. Great in the early morning before it warmed up and softened the snow, easy to get on edge and do railroad tracks back to the lift, had great float when the temps got into the 40's +

Mine were new in the wrapped 2011/2012 Shiro's, I don't they have changed much.

Just remember your on a fat ski, but these didn't seem that much slower then my Volkl Kendo's edge to edge.

Go Fat
Edited by Max Capacity - 12/4/14 at 2:59pm
post #8 of 10

I talked to the guys at the ski shop at Jay Peak and he said that the Volkl Bridge was one big seller there and considered the perfect ski for Jay... That ski always intrigued me but I never had the chance ti try it...

Me, for Jay, I used to like skiing there with the Hell & Back... Now, sometimes with the FX104 but mostly with the Blizzard Brahma or the Magnum 8.5...

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post
 

That ski always intrigued me but I never had the chance ti try it...

 

Out of all the people on this forum, I figured you would have owned a pair of those at one time... :D

 

 

@Dazed8   Took a look at Jay's rentals last year.  Definitely wider skis in the group than I normally see at other resorts.  I remember seeing Mantra's, Kendo's, and E88s...  really can't remember what else.  They have others, or at least they did last year, and wider than the Mantras.  I'm sure you could probably find something to your liking.

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtViking View Post
 

 

Out of all the people on this forum, I figured you would have owned a pair of those at one time... :D

 

 

@Dazed8   Took a look at Jay's rentals last year.  Definitely wider skis in the group than I normally see at other resorts.  I remember seeing Mantra's, Kendo's, and E88s...  really can't remember what else.  They have others, or at least they did last year, and wider than the Mantras.  I'm sure you could probably find something to your liking.

It was close but (by chance) they didn't have my lenght...;)

 

One thing that always amaze me at Jay is the variety of the skis that you can see there...And also a lot of small brand skis too!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Your opinion on new skis