or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › RACING - Seeking advice on SL skis from the experts here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RACING - Seeking advice on SL skis from the experts here - Page 2

post #31 of 53

  You might try amazon.  I just bought a new pair of Fischer world cup sl skis there for what ebay used skis where going for.

 

  Early in the year I was able to try out Technic, Elan, Solomon, Blizzard, Head and both the Fischer sc and sl ski.  All of the skis I tried where slalom skis.  I was a die hard Volkl fan till I started trying out some of the demo skis.  The ski I was on before was a 2009 Volkl SC in a 168 length 15.5 side cut.  It was a decent ski that helped me reduce my nastar times by quite a bit but was never lively.  The ski had no pop what so ever but was good in both slalom and giant slalom courses.  Last year I went to a full on giant slalom 178 fis ski and really liked it for the longer turns and the energy.  Still something was missing though I enjoy slalom corners and would always ski my gs skis like they were in a slalom course.  So flash forward this year I got to demo at least 7 major brands.  For me nothing turns like a Fischer, it doesn't matter if it is the sc or sl ski.  They both turn very crisp and do not feel like they wash in the tails.  I did enjoy the blizzard 770ti but did not get to try a slalom ski in that brand.  The reason I enjoyed the blizzard was that it had enough energy to send me into the air if I jammed into them.  So it was a toss up between the Fischer SC and the Blizzard which didn't carve as well.  Personally I wanted a ski with some energy.  Then I was then able to demo a pair of 2013 Fischer world cup slalom skis.  They turn the same in my opinion as the sc, but with a ton of energy out of every corner.  I don't know that I personally could handle them everyday.  A few runs yes but they require a lot to stay on top of them.  After three lively runs and some instructing that day I could barely walk.  I would consider myself in decent shape and could probably press over 300 lbs.  These skis are a lot to manage but are so fun.  I ordered a pair this week myself and thought I would let you know my process of deciding.  If you decide to get the sc they will turn just the same but not have the energy.  I have found a full package deal new on amazon for the sc around $480.  Of course you could always go with the world cup medium flex as well.  Any of those seem like great choices but after skiing the rest my choices would be fischer wc sl stiff, fischer wc sl medium, fischer slalom or older sc model.  Then after that maybe head, or blizzard.  I would like to try a Volkl Slalom ski but it was not available.

 

Personal thought though is that any slalom ski is going to be amazing over all.  They are so much better than any cheater ski or other side cut.  The brands are all very close in nature. The Fischer only stands out because of the energy and the way it feels in a carve.  It could be the combination of my boot and this ski.  A different boot, different person might find a different ski to be better.  The best way to decide is a demo day at your local ski area.

post #32 of 53
Thread Starter 

We do have demo days here in the southeast but they NEVER, EVER have any SLALOM race skis as demos.  Even in West Virginia @ Snowshoe they did not have any demo slalom, only a few GS.  Most were the typical "weekender" marketing "all mountain" or even power skis that were available so unless I borrow a fellow club member's slalom ski, I won't have any chance to demo a slalom prior to buying it.

 

However, as you pointed out the Fischer SC's are a pretty good compromise to Fischer's WC slalom ski and since I have been running the SC Pros for the past 5 years, I have a pretty good understanding of what to expect when moving up to the formal race ski.

post #33 of 53


It also sounds to me like you like a livelier ski.  As others have mentioned Fischer's and Blizzards are the lively ones.  If you think you can tame a Fischer SL world cup I would say go for it.  At worst you will only run them a few times in the gates and switch to the gs ski you have for the rest of the day.  Personally I absolutely loved the energy in them and have not found anything like them at all.  I am very curious about a Blizzard only because it's the only other ski I was on that had any energy in them.

 

Either way here is the link from amazon for the pair I bought just two days ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHZG64A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

(I love how they miss spelled slalom... )  This is the cheapest price I have found for them.  I also know the director at my local ski area was going to sell his to me for this price used. 

post #34 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahsaint View Post
 


It also sounds to me like you like a livelier ski.  As others have mentioned Fischer's and Blizzards are the lively ones.  If you think you can tame a Fischer SL world cup I would say go for it.  At worst you will only run them a few times in the gates and switch to the gs ski you have for the rest of the day.  Personally I absolutely loved the energy in them and have not found anything like them at all.  I am very curious about a Blizzard only because it's the only other ski I was on that had any energy in them.

 

Either way here is the link from amazon for the pair I bought just two days ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHZG64A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

(I love how they miss spelled slalom... )  This is the cheapest price I have found for them.  I also know the director at my local ski area was going to sell his to me for this price used. 

Yep, I saw that Ski Yard (heard good things) had those for that price but you still have to add the binding and since they are race skis you will probably want to add the Z17 binding so by the time you are done you will have spent over $600 for a pair of 2013 sticks.  Not bad considering 2015 sticks (with bindings) are running $800 but still above what I was trying to do.  I do have a race shop that discounts race skis for our club that can do the Blizzards for $699 with bindings but your deal would still save about a C-note

post #35 of 53


Yes I know its expensive... Other than that you can try to win a pair on ebay but as I stated they get way up there even used:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111534587300?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

This pair is at $415 with binding and has been used for a year already.  I don't know what the price will be like when it ends.  Yes after binding which you can find for $200 on amazon they reach around $600.  Its steep I know and the most I have almost ever paid for a pair.  I think its worth it though as they only changed the graphics for this year and they are one amazing set of skis.  Better yet they will be new.

post #36 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahsaint View Post
 


Yes I know its expensive... Other than that you can try to win a pair on ebay but as I stated they get way up there even used:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111534587300?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

This pair is at $415 with binding and has been used for a year already.  I don't know what the price will be like when it ends.  Yes after binding which you can find for $200 on amazon they reach around $600.  Its steep I know and the most I have almost ever paid for a pair.  I think its worth it though as they only changed the graphics for this year and they are one amazing set of skis.  Better yet they will be new.

I was the guy bidding on the EXACT same pair without bindings that went for $229.50 (or something similar) and was going to add the Z-17's I would pick up from a dealer.  By the time you add in shipping cost for the bindings and the (2 model year old) used Ski's, it was around $525 which is why I stopped bidding on that auction.

 

I can pick up a new pair like you did for $599 with z-17 bindings mounted and zero shipping from the dealer offering race team discounts (and I may still do that is nothing else pans out). I have been watching the ones you linked to over the past week as they may be the better deal since shipping is FREE!  If you run a search on previously sold Fischer WC SL 165's you will see that someone (recently) sold a pair of 2014's for $550 so that so that would have been THE deal right there!

post #37 of 53
I just know the market is out there for them. I have been looking at a lot of options for these before jumping on the new 2013 skis. They have some 2014 skis on Amazon not mounted new for 480 but those where the medium stiffness. I was not sure i would like them as much. Just as a side note I would be rather impressed if you would ski a wc rc4. We have several instructors here that have told me they where way too much for them. These will really launch you both in the air and on to the back of the ski. Although i have seen a mediocre skier race on these. Not saying you are one but they are a lot to hold down when you push them.
post #38 of 53
Thread Starter 

You may be right on the RC4's.  I could be biting off more than I could chew and not being able to get my hands on a demo makes it a tough decision.  However, if I am going to throw dollars bills at it, I want it to take me all the way to the house.  I have never skied a ski I could not master but then again, I've never skied a lot of these higher-end "race" skis.  Probably all the more reason to grab a new, old stock from somewhere.

 

One thing I literally JUST noticed on that link to the eBay '13 Fischer 165 SL's that csarubbi11 is selling is that he (apparently) already sold that EXACT SAME ski/binding combo for $250 previously .  The pictures in the thread are IDENTICAL (right down to the excess wax on the bottom of the ski).  We have all had someone "back out" on a deal or two so I am not automatically jumping to the conclusion that did not happen.  Rather, my concern is that if he was willing to let them go in that earlier (potentially failed) auction for $250 WITH bindings.... there HAS to be something else going on here and at these price levels I would rather deal with a TRUE reseller (like your guys) than to fiddle around with a guy who is trying to sell either (vaporware) and/or skis with prior problems.  Another thing is the use of the term 217 bindings in his ad as well as the reference that these were "Being sold by an Olympic athlete"... If HE is the athlete then HE should have known that these are Z-17 bindings.  Perhaps he was a Water Polo "athlete rather than a downhill ski athlete but there are just too many WARNING signs on this one for me so I may well be following in your footsteps as they appear to be the wiser approach.


Edited by ndabunka - 12/9/14 at 6:39pm
post #39 of 53
If you have skied on something that launches you in the air before I would say you should be fine. Otherwise i would suggest any other slalom ski. Even another fis ski is easier to tame. The Fischer wc sl has so much more energy. This is coming from someone who has 33 years in skiing and a lot of that in racing. I am 40 now an instructor myself and in decent shape. I had a very difficult time staying forward on those but like i said have seen intermediate skiers on them. The Fischer is the best carving though out of all the slalom skis i have been on.
post #40 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahsaint View Post

If you have skied on something that launches you in the air before I would say you should be fine. Otherwise i would suggest any other slalom ski. Even another fis ski is easier to tame. The Fischer wc sl has so much more energy. This is coming from someone who has 33 years in skiing and a lot of that in racing. I am 40 now an instructor myself and in decent shape. I had a very difficult time staying forward on those but like i said have seen intermediate skiers on them. The Fischer is the best carving though out of all the slalom skis i have been on.

I've also been skiing for 48 years now.  Never as ski patrol or instructor though so I will heed your caution.  I typed in and then deleted by verbiage about the prior mogul "fun" but I have a feeling you aren't talking about hitting moguls, doing back scratchers, Iron Crosses and 360s as "air time" like most of my teen age years were spent doing in the NC mountains.  But yes, I am looking for a ski that can give me that hard SPRING.  My legs are extremely strong from years of competitive skiing so they stand up well to rigors of practice runs or at least they have in the past.  My downfall (last year) was that I wasn't getting "low enough" in GS runs.  My Slalom technique is more punching gates across in as steep a fall line as possible versus the "carve & fly across" to the next turn but that cut and fly is necessary every once in a while and is reminescent of a water skiing turn and burn, catch it and turn again type of style so i can ski that (if needed).

 

The more spring in a ski the less time I have to stay on edge so that I can start my turns well above the gates (comes naturally from water skiing technique and translates well to the snow).  I think that the sharper sidecut may be more of a problem for me than the spring as I skied a few of the deeper side cut skis last year and noticed that I kept cutting in ABOVE the gate because I was getting too much "turn" out of them so I had to learn a bit of "patience" on the slalom gates that were farther apart.

 

I am a solid Silver-level competitor and my intent is to take advantage of the extra "quickness" of the newer skis to gain me a second or two which will put me into the Gold level rapidly.  There are typically 8 flights in our Division I and I hope to move up one or two flights per race to hopefully get into flight 2 or 3 where I expect I will run into the limit of my abilties.  At age 52, I am smart enough to realize that I will not be a pace setter but I do hope to be close to those guys by the end of this season


Edited by ndabunka - 12/9/14 at 7:22pm
post #41 of 53
Lol about the mogul skiing. What i am talking about is what they used to call jam and jet. Only difference is you don't have to really jam these to get launched in the air. My first run on them on the chair i could see every corner i was not touching the ground when out of the corner. Also agree with you on the radius on how fast they turn. That is really going to throw me off as well in the gates. I usually keep up with the pace setter or beat their time on gs courses. It's my hope that I can do the same for slalom courses.

I never caught that those skis on eBay where up for sale before. She also has two others up as well. It does seem odd. I guess that kind of scares me as well. I have had horrid luck with international people on there.
post #42 of 53
Thread Starter 
Admin - Please delete this post

Edited by ndabunka - 12/10/14 at 11:06am
post #43 of 53


The pair I picked up on amazon are the wc stiff ski.  I enjoyed the flight on them and maybe did a bit to egg them on.  I am sure in course you wouldn't get more speed by flying around and it is best to keep the ski on the snow.  It is just so much fun on a free run to push them to that point. Either way there are tons of option on Amazon including the medium wc stiffness for the ski.  Also as far as blizzards go I have seen great options for used pair on ebay or on edgewise as someone else mentioned: http://www.edgewiseskiservice.com/fis-legal/.  Lots of great slalom skis here.  As others stated I would stick to 165.

post #44 of 53
Thread Starter 

Thanks to the help of everyone on this forum I placed my order for a pair of 2014 Nordica SL's with the race plate from Peak Performance in Killington, VT.  They have a subsection called "Closeout Adult Race Skis" which is where I found these in the 165 length but they also have some '14 Atomic Redster's as well as the '14 Fischer RC4 SLs all in the 165 length as discussed on this thread.  Look them up, sharp guys and a pleasure to work with. I even had them tune and "hot box" them proir to shipping. Am I going to be FAST this year or what?

http://www.peakskishop.com/Closeout-Adult-Race-Skis_c_332.html

 

The price is a bit higher than I had original planned on spending but was worth it to get ear that I feel will work best for me.

These are my Christmas present from my lovely wife of 22 years so that helped me not worry about the costs as much.

ScotsSkier also stepped in to help with a nice pair of Marker Race bindings as well as some very solid advice.

He's a great EpicSki resource. Here's his 11th post in this thread which turns out....to be what I ended up doing after it was all said and done...

 

"...Don't rule out the 2013 Blizzard FIS if you can find it at a good deal .  Also a very good ski,  I just found the 2014 had improved further but again, it is relatively small differences, and only apparent if you ski them all.  BTW also keep an eye out for the Nordica version, basically the same ski as the Blizzard apart from the top sheet.  I skied the 2014 one on Sunday and it felt just the same as the Blizzard."

 

 I owe ya a beer one of these days Ray! 


Edited by ndabunka - 12/11/14 at 1:59pm
post #45 of 53
Ha! You got them at Peak Performance of KIllington. Good shop.
post #46 of 53

I think you made a great decision.  Those are a very comfortable ski that will help you become more aggressive in a slalom course.  The Nordica skis turn nicely without the pop of the Fischers, so its more controllable.  From what I remember of them and have read they are very comparable to the Solomon ski.  I personally liked them better but then I didn't have my boots buckled down quite as much on the Salomon's.  Either way would love to hear your first impressions and how they compare to the sc that you have.

 

On a side note I get my skis tomorrow, and just got my bindings today...  (super excited)

post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
 

Thanks to the help of everyone on this forum I placed my order for a pair of 2014 Nordica SL's with the race plate from Peak Performance in Killington, VT.  They have a subsection called "Closeout Adult Race Skis" which is where I found these in the 165 length but they also have some '14 Atomic Redster's as well as the '14 Fischer RC4 SLs all in the 165 length as discussed on this thread.  Look them up, sharp guys and a pleasure to work with. I even had them tune and "hot box" them proir to shipping. Am I going to be FAST this year or what?

http://www.peakskishop.com/Closeout-Adult-Race-Skis_c_332.html

 

The price is a bit higher than I had original planned on spending but was worth it to get ear that I feel will work best for me.

These are my Christmas present from my lovely wife of 22 years so that helped me not worry about the costs as much.

ScotsSkier also stepped in to help with a nice pair of Marker Race bindings as well as some very solid advice.

He's a great EpicSki resource. Here's his 11th post in this thread which turns out....to be what I ended up doing after it was all said and done...

 

"...Don't rule out the 2013 Blizzard FIS if you can find it at a good deal .  Also a very good ski,  I just found the 2014 had improved further but again, it is relatively small differences, and only apparent if you ski them all.  BTW also keep an eye out for the Nordica version, basically the same ski as the Blizzard apart from the top sheet.  I skied the 2014 one on Sunday and it felt just the same as the Blizzard."

 

 I owe ya a beer one of these days Ray! 


Good decision, happy to help, enjoy!     I was going to say you were a  lucky man with a lively wife but I see now she is just lovely ...:D

post #48 of 53

Good call, and you'll be happy down the line you chose Peak Performance. They have solid staff, and BTW offer very reasonable tuning packages; keeping those SL's tuned is probably more relevant than which exact model you choose. 

post #49 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahsaint View Post
 

I think you made a great decision.  Those are a very comfortable ski that will help you become more aggressive in a slalom course.  The Nordica skis turn nicely without the pop of the Fischers, so its more controllable.  From what I remember of them and have read they are very comparable to the Solomon ski.  I personally liked them better but then I didn't have my boots buckled down quite as much on the Salomon's.  Either way would love to hear your first impressions and how they compare to the sc that you have.

 

On a side note I get my skis tomorrow, and just got my bindings today...  (super excited)

 

I haven't heard of anyone racing on Salomon's (at least around here) so that comparison is a new one for me.  In general the Blizzards and the Nordica's are considered the same ski with different graphics.  They may even be made in the same factory on the same production lines (according to some).  As I understand it the Nordica/Blizzard model is similar to the Fischer/Rossignol relationship in that the products from each mirror the other and technologies found in one (titanium layers, etc) will also typically be found in the other.

 

As to aggression on the course.  That is one thing that has never been lacking in my skiing.  I was agressive each week setting the fastest time in my division pretty much every weekend even though I had been in the higher/slower flights at the beginning of the year (e.g. I would have been the SL 'pace setter' in Division II if there had been such a thing).  I would like to think that the only things slowing my down last year were my age and those delaminated skis but this year will be the telltale as I will be moving to the fastest flights this year.  I realize that I should not expect to be a pacesetter but I am hoping that I will progress to that point.

 

I learned long ago how to effeciently take out gate using my poles (Back in the day we were either too poor or didn't know that pole guards were available so I learned how to take the slalom poles down using the MIDDLE of my ski poles.  That puts the skier OVER the pole on each and every turn which isn't really the best modern-day technique.  Last year I learned to hit the poles a few inches below the grips but foud myself taking out a number of poles with my knuckles (Can you say Ouch!) so in the off season I bought the guards for me and my boy and I even moved to a competive WC glove with armour in the knuckles.

 

Notice how close (to the gate) Lindsey is in the SECOND turn where she takes the slalom pole out with the MIDDLE of her ski pole.  That was what I learned but it leaves VERY little margin for error (I hooked one tip in one run last season due to it).  Last year I "learned" how to NOT be so aggressive and to take out that pole using my hand guard (like she does in the first gate in this sequence).  My plan is to leverage this newer technology to allow me to ski MUCH faster with much less risk.  I expect that I will be aiming at 5-6 inches from each pole instead of the 1-2 inches I was aiming for last year.  It made for a steep aggressive line but was FAR more risky than necessary with this new gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09GRD0YRnYk

 

Enjoy your new planks tomorrow and report back to us on how they work out for you & I will do the same for my Blizzards...ah, er... Nordica Dobermann's  LOL!

post #50 of 53
Soloman seems to be making a comeback on the WCup. Several well placed skiers on them at Beaver Creek in speed and Gs. Don't know about slalom.
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
 

 

I haven't heard of anyone racing on Salomon's (at least around here) so that comparison is a new one for me.  In general the Blizzards and the Nordica's are considered the same ski with different graphics.  They may even be made in the same factory on the same production lines (according to some).  As I understand it the Nordica/Blizzard model is similar to the Fischer/Rossignol relationship in that the products from each mirror the other and technologies found in one (titanium layers, etc) will also typically be found in the other.

 

As to aggression on the course.  That is one thing that has never been lacking in my skiing.  I was agressive each week setting the fastest time in my division pretty much every weekend even though I had been in the higher/slower flights at the beginning of the year (e.g. I would have been the SL 'pace setter' in Division II if there had been such a thing).  I would like to think that the only things slowing my down last year were my age and those delaminated skis but this year will be the telltale as I will be moving to the fastest flights this year.  I realize that I should not expect to be a pacesetter but I am hoping that I will progress to that point.

 

I learned long ago how to effeciently take out gate using my poles (Back in the day we were either too poor or didn't know that pole guards were available so I learned how to take the slalom poles down using the MIDDLE of my ski poles.  That puts the skier OVER the pole on each and every turn which isn't really the best modern-day technique.  Last year I learned to hit the poles a few inches below the grips but foud myself taking out a number of poles with my knuckles (Can you say Ouch!) so in the off season I bought the guards for me and my boy and I even moved to a competive WC glove with armour in the knuckles.

 

Notice how close (to the gate) Lindsey is in the SECOND turn where she takes the slalom pole out with the MIDDLE of her ski pole.  That was what I learned but it leaves VERY little margin for error (I hooked one tip in one run last season due to it).  Last year I "learned" how to NOT be so aggressive and to take out that pole using my hand guard (like she does in the first gate in this sequence).  My plan is to leverage this newer technology to allow me to ski MUCH faster with much less risk.  I expect that I will be aiming at 5-6 inches from each pole instead of the 1-2 inches I was aiming for last year.  It made for a steep aggressive line but was FAR more risky than necessary with this new gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09GRD0YRnYk

 

Enjoy your new planks tomorrow and report back to us on how they work out for you & I will do the same for my Blizzards...ah, er... Nordica Dobermann's  LOL!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Soloman seems to be making a comeback on the WCup. Several well placed skiers on them at Beaver Creek in speed and Gs. Don't know about slalom.


Salomon race skis have not been imported to the US since about 2007-8.  they were still in canada for a few years but I don't think they have been brought in even to Canada in the last couple of years.  There are a very small number of the FIS race stock pairs in the US.  One of the US guys was on them at the FIS International masters at Park city last year.  When we had the world masters criterium at Mammoth in 2012 there were several of the euros on the Salomons.  They are for the most part basically the same ski as the Atomic with different graphics.  I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not they come out of the same factory.  My suspicion is they do.  They are pretty much like the Rossi/Dynastar, Blizz/Nordica, Atomic/Salomon set up.  Of course for the WC guys there matt still be variations but for the next level, FIS race stock they are pretty much the same.  I kinda like the salmon graphics tho...

 

ndabunka    Sound alike you have got sorted out with all the right protection now, definitely required!  I would encourage you though to think about getting your skis further out then 8 inches.  Give yourself a bit more room there so you can get a better angle and pressure on the ski.  At 8 inches, unless you are really boot-topping the gate or getting your hip on the snow or it is a really straight short course, you are not giving yourself enough space to get the angles that will generate more speed.  May seem counterintuitive at first but try it and you will be surprised at how much difference it makes and also stops you from getting later and lower in the gate. Take another look at the lindsay slow-mo and watch where her inside ski is.  It is about 18-24 inches out from the gate.  Best evidenced if you watch where the shinguard is hitting the gate, it is up around the knee

post #52 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post

ndabunka    Sound alike you have got sorted out with all the right protection now, definitely required!  I would encourage you though to think about getting your skis further out then 8 inches.  Give yourself a bit more room there so you can get a better angle and pressure on the ski.  At 8 inches, unless you are really boot-topping the gate or getting your hip on the snow or it is a really straight short course, you are not giving yourself enough space to get the angles that will generate more speed.  May seem counterintuitive at first but try it and you will be surprised at how much difference it makes and also stops you from getting later and lower in the gate. 

 

Thanks & yes, my intention is to do just that so that I can pick up the pace and reduce the risk.  If 8 inches is still too tight, I can leave more. As you can tell from my new Avatar, I was a slalom specialist in water skiing and "turning the bouy" was THE way you HAD to ski the shorter 35 & 38 off rope lengths so i got pretty good doing the same thing on the snow but that was back in the early 80's an with those older straight sticks they (generously) called skis  LOL.

 

I think tha hitting the slalom pole with my hand (instead of the pole) will naturally carry me further outside the gate than before.  When I did that wil my SCPro's, I would simply "scrub" speed so I HAD to take a vertical fall line with those due to their limitations.  Really looking forward to learning these new skis and skiing them the RIGHT way!  I'll let everyone know how it goes throughout the season in another thread.

 

PS - In slalom I was seldom "late" because the SC Pros were simply SO soft that I could bend them around the pole and typically put me REALLY early for each gate. My expectation is that "buffer factor" will dissappear with these TRUE slalom skis because rather than turning on a dime, they will be "launching" me out of the corners with SPEED and that may cause me to be later than last season simply because I will be carrying more speed through the gates.  My expectation is that the more extreme sidewall on these SL's will help me get FURTHER on edge and make a "cleaner" turn which will compensate for that additional speed.  I can't wait to get on a course and start practicing!


Edited by ndabunka - 12/12/14 at 7:09am
post #53 of 53
Very lucky in dead to be getting new skis and get the opportunity to put them through their paces. I have the same issue with running the gates. I have always cut them to close and need to back away. Last year in the nastar championships i got a dnf on one run just for that reason. Got too close and hooked a tip. My second run was slow because i didn't want to chance not finishing. I don't know how Solomon and Fischer would be the same. They might have some shared components but the Fischer ski has a lot of different technology. Floating bindings the holes cut on the front and those funky tails. I think Solomon should take a lesson from them. I see tons of Solomon's everywhere for cheep compared to most other slalom skis but then they might not be world cup skis. As others have stated though most all slalom skis are pretty close in feel. The important thing is to keep them tuned.

On a side note i got my Fischer Friday and was up skiing on them today. Love them so much but oh the energy in them is scary at times.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › RACING - Seeking advice on SL skis from the experts here