yes Tog its possible to ski out of balance too, 99% of recreational skiers are doing just exactly that at all times, and the other 1% goes out of balance plenty as well as terrain and situations force that situation occasionally. But its also possible to ski in balance, dynamically, and in balance the whole time. 99% are not doing the steps needed ever to maintain that balance or to attempt to maintain that balance as much as possible, and have no idea what they are missing.
Having a free fall phase, as you equated with walking down stairs and half pipes, means generally that pressure comes crashing into the skier suddenly at the apex or often after it. That is not smooth skiing. Is smooth skiing boring to you? You can get away with that on hero snow, but try that on ice or even in crud. On ice it will probably result in chatter or wash out. On crud it will probably result in blowing out of the bindings or going over the handlebars after the apex to the outside sooner or later.
Its not mandatory to have a free fall happen in every dynamic ski turn. And further to that, generally carving and high-C turn shaping is compromised when free fall happens. When you go into free fall mode, you have no control whatsoever, you are just falling into the fall line and skipping high-C altogether. Usually skiers even twist their skis into the fall line, making the free fall even more pronounced. No turn shaping or speed control happens in free fall mode.
Another common free fall approach is a strong extension movement starting the turn, which perhaps gives them the sensation they are maintaining some outside ski pressure, while simultaneously being out of balance to the inside. The movement takes them out of balance, but for a short time they will still have some outside ski pressure due to the extension movement, which enables the ski to start to bend and start a turn. They don't quite realize yet they are out of balance due to the temporary outside ski pressure they get from the extension. But they are out of balance and as soon as their RoM is used up they will go into free fall mode after-all and finally catch themselves after the apex with a lot of sudden pressure there. You can get away with that on hero snow, but throw it on ice or even on softer snow and all of that will result in unsmooth skiing, and quite possibly big problems when all the pressure comes crashing in after the apex.
There is no speed control until balance is regained. Why wouldn't you want to establish balance sooner and avoid the free fall altogether when its very possible to do so and actually if you carve or scarve high-c you will in many ways be even MORE dynamic then if you go through free fall first. But I promise you that while carving your turns from top to bottom can produce some of the zippiest and turniest turns with lots of centripetal forces acting on you, they will also be very smooth because they will avoid the hard edge sets and pressure spikes that typically happen to those going through free fall first.