or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What is your daily go-to ski? WHY?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is your daily go-to ski? WHY? - Page 4

post #91 of 118

Go to ski - Nordica Fire Arrow Pro.  Holds really well.  Will make any size, shape turn. Quick and will power through anything.

post #92 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post

Volkl Kenja (163 cm, 85mm waist) if it's harder, Salomon Geisha (164 cm, 97mm waist) if it's anywhere from fresh to swampy. Me: 5'3", 150 lb. I have a pair of Temptation 88s standing against the wall still unmounted because I rediscovered my Kenja love before the Rossis made it to the shop. 😍
Oh, right you asked why:

Kenjas for their shorter turns and decent grip on the hard stuff and because although they used to ski me, nowadays I rule them. Still, I strongly suspect I'll be shopping for a new all-mountain mid-fat because there's just something missing there, though I don't know what it is. Maybe I just miss the challenge. Can you say "demo time"? smile.gif

Geishas because although my old 153s let me cheat shamelessly for years, at the new length and my current level they respond very well to anything even faintly resembling good input. They love big deep turns and short turns and everything in between, they really respond to being driven at any speed, and they blast through crud and mank and chopped up snow and variable anything. My first 164s were Shoguns (the identical men's version) I bought last spring and mounted +1 like my other skis, and I had lots of fun powering them through slush last spring. Although I always swear I don't care about looks I couldn't resist a pair of 164cm Geishas with demo bindings on eBay this fall, which I set up at the recommended line. I finally took them out yesterday, and I swear they were even more fun than the Shoguns, though I know they're exactly the same ski. Maybe it's the drills I did yesterday, but I think they just ski better with a teal topsheet than a brown one. biggrin.gif
post #93 of 118
Only got one pair, Atomic Blackeye ti from two years ago. Works for me, works for conditions here 95% of time.
post #94 of 118

Nordica Fire Arrow Pro 80 in 180. It is the perfect East Coast ski for me.

Great edge hold

Smooth, damp ride yet quick turning

Surprisingly decent in up to 10" powder

I have not found the top end

Excellent in uneven snow and heavy crud

They can be skied in a more relaxed manner too - like when skiing with the family

It is a little tough for me in tight trees - but that might be the driver and not the ski:rolleyes

post #95 of 118

My go to ski so far this season has been my Brahma. Even on extremely firm days I've chosen this over my MX78s. Just a really fun easy going ski for me. Maybe if I lost 25 lbs I wouldn't think so. Good motivation to keep sampling IPA's.;)

post #96 of 118

I've only got two pairs, Atomic Race SL 12 165 and Atomic Race GS Ti 182. I prefer GS for speed and and control. Mainly hard snow and ice...

post #97 of 118

Me: 52, 6'3", 230 lbs

Location: Squaw/Alpine

Terrain: Steeps/bumps

Conditions: Typical late winter/early spring  firm mornings, soft to mushy afternoons

 

After the demise of my 189 Scott Punishers  (144-110-132),  I'm thinking my new 187 2011 Elan Pogo Sticks (136-107-126) might fill the bill. The length, camber, profile and flex are pretty similar to the Punishers. The dealt with the firm, charged the crud, and were fun in the bumps.

 

I have a good stable of skis for other conditions. Hopefully I'll be healed and recovered enough in a few week so I can get out on the snow.

post #98 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post

Volkl Kenja (163 cm, 85mm waist) if it's harder, Salomon Geisha (164 cm, 97mm waist) if it's anywhere from fresh to swampy. Me: 5'3", 150 lb. I have a pair of Temptation 88s standing against the wall still unmounted because I rediscovered my Kenja love before the Rossis made it to the shop. 😍


are you going to part with those 88's?  that may be a nice ski for my wife:)

post #99 of 118

GOTAMAS

post #100 of 118

I use my Watea 94's more than all my other skis combined, I think. It's my narrowest ski, which probably means I should have fewer fat skis on one end of the quiver and something more hard snow-oriented on the other. But I don't. 

post #101 of 118

Midway through the Mid Atlantic season my go to ski has been a Nordica GSR rock ski.  Temps were only below freezing the first day out late November.  The rest have been in the 40s and the GSRs have good structure for warm snow.  Coverage has been generally good since resorts have still had cooler nights to make the snow.  That said, not been on anything over 80mm under foot this season, just carvers and 80mm twins.

post #102 of 118

Apache Recon the last 4 years of no snow.

post #103 of 118

187 Head Rock'n'Roll 95

 

It's a reasonably wide ski that holds pretty darn well on hard snow. it's easy to ski and more fun to goof around on when skiing with my wife than my Fischer Progressor 9+s.

 

My favorite thing about it is how well it handles variable snow. My home mountain's grooming is - shall we say - a bit inconsistent. Sometimes a run is hard, sometimes it's covered with ice cookies, sometimes it's full of soft windblown powder in depressions transitioning to hard crust almost invisibly (and that was just last weekend, sometimes there is also soft snow, esp in the trees, and bumps). The Rock'n'Roll handles everything in stride. It's stiff enough to avoid being excessively deflected by chunky stuff (either hard or soft), but not so stiff that it's taxing to ski slowly or likely to submarine when the snow gets soft. The (pretty minimal) rocker helps as well. Overall, it's a great mixed snow adventure ski.

 

It's also not excessively heavy. I have Dukes mounted and am perfectly happy to take it on short tours.

 

At my size (6'2" 175), I could probably ski the 180, but I've had very little issue with the quickness of the 187, so I don't know if I'd want to give up the increased stability in mixed conditions and little bit of float in soft snow that I get with the 187. Maybe if it snowed enough to get nice bumps again...

post #104 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
 

GOTAMAS

 

Please don't tell me, after all the woe about Sierra snow, that this was taken recently. Because I am going to call mass BS on about a thousand posts if it was.

post #105 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJQIV View Post
 

my new 187 2011 Elan Pogo Sticks

 

I am definitely in the camp that believes Elan makes excellent skis. But seriously? I thought "Amphibio" was terrible marketing. This might be even worse. I have visions in my head of a low-budget commercial for a local shocks-and-struts chain. :nono:

post #106 of 118
My alpine daily drivers are Blizzard G-Power (72mm version). The G-Powers are blast to ski on, they rip when I push them and are easy to ski if I am taking it easy. My everyday tele skis are Nordica Steadfast. The Steadfast is a great all around ski, cuts through crud and holds pretty well on the hard stuff. I am in New England and will likely replace the Steadfast with Latigos or similar next year.

Others:
Line Influence 105 - tele
Volkl GS 17m tweener - tele
Fischer GS 23m - alpine
post #107 of 118

2015 Volkl Mantra. A true All-mountain mid-fat world-cup laminate GS ski that can really do everything exceedingly well. Carves with precision and power, floats and surfs with ease in powder, and probably excels the most in nasty mixed conditions. Great in moguls. Can smear, slarve, and make any turn shape. Super turny and nimble but with that tenacious Volkl bite and edge grip. Can drive it hard, or dial it back. It's the most versatile ski I've ever been on and has relegated my three other skis to only occasional use. Pretty close to the perfect ski.


Edited by Lemon Zest - 1/21/15 at 6:36pm
post #108 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

Please don't tell me, after all the woe about Sierra snow, that this was taken recently. Because I am going to call mass BS on about a thousand posts if it was.

no that is spring skiing at Mammoth.    Pure slush.  

post #109 of 118
Unless I break them, I can't see myself retiring my 2012 Elan Boomerangs in the foreseeable future. Disgusting graphics but fortunately covered with snow most of the time.

post #110 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post

Unless I break them, I can't see myself retiring my 2012 Elan Boomerangs in the foreseeable future. Disgusting graphics but fortunately covered with snow most of the time.

 

I loved my Boomerangs.  I should never have sold them.

 

 

 

 

 

post #111 of 118

Influence 105. Powerful without being too much of a gun. Medium turn radius, damp, and somewhat boring, no quirkiness. Precisely what I like in a daily driver.

post #112 of 118

now that i have the mx 83, it may be the one.  I'll update after i have driven.

post #113 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post

Unless I break them, I can't see myself retiring my 2012 Elan Boomerangs in the foreseeable future. Disgusting graphics but fortunately covered with snow most of the time.




I loved my Boomerangs.  I should never have sold them.







I hear they're coming back.
post #114 of 118


Just picked up a pair od Chrome 74's to replace my speed courses and these will be my new hard snow boards for next season. Got a pair of 178cm's and they absolutely rip. Less stiff and more playful than the speed course. Top end is not as high as the Speed course but that is okay. These shine on ice and hard pack and are very quick edge to edge.

post #115 of 118

Atomic Beta Carv 10 20s at 200 cm suit this 6'3" fat aging groomer zoomer just fine.

 

Hooning down some corduroy making big GS style turns and singing " Nobody does it better" at the top of my voice.

 

Keeping eye out for the men in white coats though.

 

I have a pair of Volkl P40 Platinum also at 200 cm  which I slightly prefer on the snow as they are just a little more stable at speed but they are noticeably heavier and wear out my damaged knee much faster so the Atomics get the nod.

post #116 of 118

My go to ski has changed over the years.

 

In my early 20's it was Fisher President 200 CM

In late 20's early 30's the Hexcel Comp 200 CM (Love the Navy Blue and Lime Green)

Late 30's Kestle RX 200 CM still in my ski collection

In my 40's Dynamic VR 27 195 CM still in my ski collection

In my 50's Volant 188 CM still in my ski collection

In my 60's back to Kestle 168 CM used these the last time out.

 

I have owned maybe a dozen more that just do not meet the "Go To" list.

post #117 of 118

My "will never part with these" are the K2 Sideshow 181cm.  They're the only ones left after clearing house this winter following 10/31/14 cervical spine surgery.  

 

Just enough tip rocker to be easy and predictable everywhere while still keeping the tips engaged.  Very light underfoot without loss of stability.  Enough high end -- pretty darn solid for such a fun & easy ski.  Thought they were lacking on hard snow but after a light grind and hand set of bevels to 1/3 it's all good.  Got a deal on the Rolling Stones graphics -- seems like the big red tongue & lips wasn't a big seller but ok by me.

post #118 of 118

2009 Atomic SX12 183cm

 

because they work everywhere, because I still have 3 pairs left, because soft snow means rocks and because hard snow means wheeee!


Edited by cantunamunch - 4/3/15 at 2:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What is your daily go-to ski? WHY?