or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snow season feb-mar 2015

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

Im planning to go snowboarding between feb-26 and mar-05 and trying to decide witch side would be better in terms of snow:

- Lake Tahoe

- Colorado

- Utah

 

Im having some information that the snow in Lake tahoe haven't started so good

 

Wanted to see some opinions and if you have information to share about this locations, so they can help me to decide my trip considering:

- cost

- snow - where should be enough quality snow at beginning of march?

- atmosphere

- visual/nature

 

Tks in advance

post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renansnow View Post
 

Im planning to go snowboarding between feb-26 and mar-05 and trying to decide witch side would be better in terms of snow:

- Lake Tahoe

- Colorado

- Utah

 

Im having some information that the snow in Lake tahoe haven't started so good

 

Wanted to see some opinions and if you have information to share about this locations, so they can help me to decide my trip considering:

- cost

- snow - where should be enough quality snow at beginning of march?

- atmosphere

- visual/nature

 

Tks in advance


Welcome Renansnow!

 

Check out the various weather threads for 2014-2015 using the search function.  One thread had "Super El Nino" in the title, another "Colorado Weather," another "Tahoe Weather."  These likely have the most up-to-date information.  Good luck!

post #3 of 4

That's prime time for having enough snow at any of those places.  What makes it "good" is whether it is snowing during your trip or at least the week before you arrive.  Tahoe had a bad year last year, and is more unpredictable than the others, and also usually a little harder to get to(from the East coast).  I've only skied Tahoe once, years ago, but you can't beat the beauty of skiing and look down at the lake.  Also you have that Cali vibe there.  You have to do a little more research and be more specific with your questions.  Cost will depend on your flights and what kind of lodging you want.  You can check the lodging out yourself on orbitz or a lodging site.  Each state and resort has their own unique atmosphere.  Each one is best for different types of skiers/boarders.  If you hit good snow, you will enjoy your trip more, but that's a total crapshoot anything more than a week or two away. The current weather and conditions are meaningless for March.

post #4 of 4
Quote:
The current weather and conditions are meaningless for March.

This is mostly true.  As bad as the 2011-12 and 2013-14 seasons were, March was the one month skiing at Tahoe was fairly decent. 

 

Early March is the start of the timeframe where altitude and exposure become important for ski conditions.  Anything you plan far in advance will only have a ~15% chance of fresh snow on any given day, so you should be at least as concerned with surface conditions on the other 85% as whether there is new snow. 

 

But basically you have chosen the overall most reliable timeframe for snow conditions at the vast majority of destination resorts.  So your decision should be based more upon your other preferences.

 

More specifics to your questions would be helpful.  What level skier are you and what kind of terrain are you looking for?

 

Does atmosphere mean a compact walk-around resort town vs. a multi-resort destination like Tahoe or much of Utah where you drive to multiple areas in the same region?  Colorado has so many resorts we really don't have enough info from you yet to narrow it down.

 

Mountain scenery is subjective.  In general I'm more impressed with it in the Pacific States than in Utah and Colorado.  Telluride is the obvious exception to that sweeping generalization. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel