or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taos, NM, or Wolf Creek, CO?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Please advise which is best for December this year. Trying to decide. Price is a concern, but also quality.

Thank you!!

 

:ski 

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

Or any other (better?) resort that’s in the same geographical area. I only have personally been to these two in the area. I am driving from Texas. 

post #3 of 12

When?   As long as it's not around xmas, just wait and see who has the best conditions.    Crested Butte, Monarch, and even Summit County might be worth the extra drive.

post #4 of 12

My personal experience is that Wolf Creek gets more early season snow, but Taos is the more impressive mountain. I've done both resorts just driving into town with no reservations and found cheap lodging. That should not be a problem before xmas. Taos is several hours closer and a bit less hassle on the winter driving/mountain pass thing. If I were you I'd wait until the last minute and choose Taos if they had enough snow.

post #5 of 12

More info needed- specifically what type of skier are you and what you are looking for.

 

Wolf will almost always have superior snow to Taos. It is a rare storm that hits Taos harder- they are close enough to each other that they almost always get the same storms and Wolf has the superior microclimate.

 

The terrain is very different. Wolf has short steep sections. They can be very steep, but in almost every single line on the mountain you will have bands of flatter/flat pitches. In some places you can string together 2-3 sections of steeps.

 

Taos has steeps that go on relentlessly for thousands of vertical feet.  Taos has steeps to outclass most skiers.  There is milder terrain too, but what sets the mountain apart is really, really steep top-to-bottom terrain. Without drawing to much of a conclusion from you stating that you live in Texas, it is worth being honest with yourself as to how good you really are.

 

If you are a strong and ambitious intermediate skier that gets out ten times a year or so, Wolf Creek may be a better option- it will still have lots of terrain that will allow you to get way over your head and generally better snow.

 

If you are a very, very strong skier, Taos will have more than enough terrain that will make you reconsider that assessment.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

More info needed- specifically what type of skier are you and what you are looking for.

 

Wolf will almost always have superior snow to Taos. It is a rare storm that hits Taos harder- they are close enough to each other that they almost always get the same storms and Wolf has the superior microclimate.

 

The terrain is very different. Wolf has short steep sections. They can be very steep, but in almost every single line on the mountain you will have bands of flatter/flat pitches. In some places you can string together 2-3 sections of steeps.

 

Taos has steeps that go on relentlessly for thousands of vertical feet.  Taos has steeps to outclass most skiers.  There is milder terrain too, but what sets the mountain apart is really, really steep top-to-bottom terrain. Without drawing to much of a conclusion from you stating that you live in Texas, it is worth being honest with yourself as to how good you really are.

 

If you are a strong and ambitious intermediate skier that gets out ten times a year or so, Wolf Creek may be a better option- it will still have lots of terrain that will allow you to get way over your head and generally better snow.

 

If you are a very, very strong skier, Taos will have more than enough terrain that will make you reconsider that assessment.

 

What he said.

post #7 of 12

Why not BOTH? That's my plan as I ironically drive from Montana to Texas in a few weeks.

 

They're not that far away from each other and both have wonderful, but unique qualities.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
 

Why not BOTH? That's my plan as I ironically drive from Montana to Texas in a few weeks.

 

They're not that far away from each other and both have wonderful, but unique qualities.

 

Yeah. They are definitely close enough where skiing them both is a perfectly reasonable plan- it is about 3 hours between them, so you would want to move your hotel room too.

 

I shared a chair with a pair of guys down from Montana last season.  I am always surprised when I find guys that drove further than basically every resort in the intermountain west to come ski us, but people do it sometimes. It seems Wolf is either a mountain ones loves or hates.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

It seems Wolf is either a mountain ones loves or hates.

 

Huh. Don't know how one could possible hate WC. That place is awesome!

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
 

 

Huh. Don't know how one could possible hate WC. That place is awesome!

Let me sum it up.

 

Wolf Creek is flat, yo.

 

I have had days where I hated the mountain.  Last season I spent 3 hours bushwhacking my way back to the Alberta lift line from 150 feet off of it. Stuck on a 25* slope in chest deep upside down snow- You could not float on the snow at all because light snow fell first and got covered with denser snow. The result was the dense snow slowed you down and pushed the skis down until you were stuck stopped waist deep. Too deep to even plod forward- you had to clear the snow in front of you down to your knees so you could move the ski and kick it forward. I ended up with my first case of toe frostbite from that adventure.

 

Most days are not that. This is the favorite mountain I have ever skied, because I get to ski as much untracked as I want to go get- untracked that is available most days of the season. But, when I ski elsewhere, I come to appreciate the longer fall lines that most any other ski areas gives you. You spend a lot of time cranked in the backseat keeping your tips up in the flats in between the good stuff here.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks, all!

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaponka View Post
 

Thanks, all!


Where and when did you go?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel