or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › It;s not a diesel, but it is a German AWD wagon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It;s not a diesel, but it is a German AWD wagon.

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

And since Audi no longer does an S4 Avant, I may just have to have one.

 

http://jalopnik.com/yes-yes-yes-the-mercedes-benz-cla45-amg-wagon-is-her-1663095454

post #2 of 28
And the price on that for us, middle income people...let me guess...it's somewhere way north of $30,000.
post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post

And the price on that for us, middle income people...let me guess...it's somewhere way north of $30,000.

AMG version?

 

Think more like $45,000 BEFORE any optional stuff.

post #4 of 28

Does not look like much clearance. So what's the point?

post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

Does not look like much clearance. So what's the point?

Gets to soccer practice quicker.

post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

And since Audi no longer does an S4 Avant, I may just have to have one.

 

http://jalopnik.com/yes-yes-yes-the-mercedes-benz-cla45-amg-wagon-is-her-1663095454

You do need one. Think of the children.

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRPufnStf View Post

AMG version?

Think more like $45,000 BEFORE any optional stuff.

Probably more like $70k. The AMG version of the GLA is is 65 w/o Bluetech.
post #8 of 28
Sweet car. The longevity of the engine is questionable with that much horsepower from a 2L power plant. So by the time it becomes affordable to me it may be a very risky proposition.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

Does not look like much clearance. So what's the point?

 

The point is that it is a wagon!  Driver's car, built for enthusiasts, but much more useful than a coupe.  As much as my SUV is easy to get around snow berms with, a driver's car it ain't. And it doesn't corner worth a sh** compared to a well balanced car. I can fly around the snow faster in any RWD sports car than I can in my SUV.  We were doing 65 out to work the other day in a blizzard in my buddies' 335i with Dunlop Winter Sport SP4's, felt like 40mph, we had to slow down not to get pulled over. Clearance is only an issue on unplowed roads.  

 

Still waiting for one of these to show up in the US.  Maybe I can get a friend to bring back a used one from Germany....hauling the kids/skis/bikes around part of the time, and ORP track days the rest of the time. 

 

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

Does not look like much clearance. So what's the point?

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

Does not look like much clearance. So what's the point?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

Does not look like much clearance. So what's the point?

 

The point is that it is a wagon!  Driver's car, built for enthusiasts, but much more useful than a coupe.  As much as my SUV is easy to get around snow berms with, a driver's car it ain't. And it doesn't corner worth a sh** compared to a well balanced car. I can fly around the snow faster in any RWD sports car than I can in my SUV.  We were doing 65 out to work the other day in a blizzard in my buddies' 335i with Dunlop Winter Sport SP4's, felt like 40mph, we had to slow down not to get pulled over. Clearance is only an issue on unplowed roads.  

 

Still waiting for one of these to show up in the US.  Maybe I can get a friend to bring back a used one from Germany....hauling the kids/skis/bikes around part of the time, and ORP track days the rest of the time. 

 

EXACTLY! Kinda like skis under 120mm underfoot, it is for people who take driving seriously. 

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
 

 

The point is that it is a wagon!  Driver's car, built for enthusiasts, but much more useful than a coupe.  As much as my SUV is easy to get around snow berms with, a driver's car it ain't. Clearance is only an issue on unplowed roads.  

 

 

Here in New England clearance definitely matters. I loved my old Audi wagon.  It was an awesome "driver's car," but way too low to the ground.  The secondary roads around here may get plowed 8+ hours into a storm, which left it swimming in snow.   And since the driveway is never plowed before my 6:30 AM work departure, I have to cross that death-cookie-snowbank from driveway to street 10 or 15 times a year.  Doing this in a low wagon really sucked, and left a lot of dents in the doors (which seem to be made of plastic.)  Around here the snowbanks get pretty crunchy with the freeze-thaw cycle.  My new X3 SUV is far better in snow.  Less fun to drive, but worth the compromise.  Better clearance and burlier.

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post


Probably more like $70k. The AMG version of the GLA is is 65 w/o Bluetech.

NO! 

 

Starts at $48300 and with tons of options came in at 61K and I mean the kitchen sink!

 

And for near that I can get a decked SQ5!!!

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

 

 

EXACTLY! Kinda like skis under 120mm underfoot, it is for people who take driving seriously. 


I guess it depends on what you mean by seriously. I define seriously as not having to break a sweat getting to the hill or driving through the snowy and deeply rutted parking lots of my local hills. Where many with low clearance vehicles end up dialing 1-800-ski-area-truck-with-tow-rope, or bottoming out in giant potholes. ;)

 

And for the record,  I am fine with skis below 120...why my daily driver is a 117!  :D 

 

I guess I see the world through rather different lenses than you and dawg and some others. Both with respect to ski design and cars... To each their own.


Edited by spindrift - 11/26/14 at 8:34pm
post #15 of 28

I like it, but I would like it more if it had 8 cylinders and made 720 HP.  That's just me though.

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
 

I like it, but I would like it more if it had 8 cylinders and made 720 HP.  That's just me though. 

 

http://www.kleemann.dk/kleemann-super-cars/kleemann-e63s-k4/

 

It's not 720 hp, but I bet they could detune one for you to get it there.

post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

 

http://www.kleemann.dk/kleemann-super-cars/kleemann-e63s-k4/

 

It's not 720 hp, but I bet they could detune one for you to get it there.


And maybe fake wood sides?

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
 

I like it, but I would like it more if it had 8 cylinders and made 720 HP.  That's just me though. 

 

http://www.kleemann.dk/kleemann-super-cars/kleemann-e63s-k4/

 

It's not 720 hp, but I bet they could detune one for you to get it there.


That's more like it!

I guess I could put up with the extra HP.  :D

post #19 of 28

...

post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 


And maybe fake wood sides?

post #21 of 28

LOL,

I once owned one of these...

With a 400 CID Engine and trailer towing gears and half the original body weight due to rusting, it would beat the brand new polution controlled Firechickens up the hill in Ft. Mc. Murray!

post #22 of 28

IMHO a better option than an AMG is a BMW X1 35i xDrive.  Lots of power, decent fuel economy, the previous gen 3-series platform, and no electrical power steering.  Also lots less $$ if you go light on the options list.

post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
 

IMHO a better option than an AMG is a BMW X1 35i xDrive.  Lots of power, decent fuel economy, the previous gen 3-series platform, and no electrical power steering.  Also lots less $$ if you go light on the options list.

Plus some actual storage space.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
 

IMHO a better option than an AMG is a BMW X1 35i xDrive.  Lots of power, decent fuel economy, the previous gen 3-series platform, and no electrical power steering.  Also lots less $$ if you go light on the options list.


The mercs are not really meant for winter, the 45s at least. Aside from the low clearance the rear wheel wells are made out of this felt sound deadening material with a fuzzy fabric surface held on by push pins, no joke.

post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 

There you guys go getting all practical. If it was practical it would have a diesel too!

post #26 of 28

this lamborghini urus looks more practical

 

post #27 of 28

Want a dream ski wagon?

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2014/06/03/volvo-plug-in-hybrid-defeats-range-woes-but-battery-capability-limited/

 

- AWD

 

- Diesel (though will be gasoline if it actually ever makes it to the US)

- Plug-in Hybrid with 30 mile electric only range, good for local commutes

- 40+ MPG in real driving conditions

- 285 combined bhp (front engine + rear electric), 472 lb ft of torque, 0-60 in 5.8 seconds

 

and it might (big might) make it to the US.

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
 

IMHO a better option than an AMG is a BMW X1 35i xDrive.  Lots of power, decent fuel economy, the previous gen 3-series platform, and no electrical power steering.  Also lots less $$ if you go light on the options list.

Agreed.  No contest.  X1 for the win in that face off.

 

I'm tired of fancy cars.  This week, I'm waiting for a WRX hatchback.  But that will change next week!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › It;s not a diesel, but it is a German AWD wagon.