or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Northern Michigan skiing is off to a stupid good start.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Northern Michigan skiing is off to a stupid good start.

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Free first day last weekend at Boyne Highlands with 6-8" of powder.

Nubs opening next weekend with more snow than I have ever seen at this time of year.

Downtown Nauganee last Thursday before this current storm.

 

I'm getting the feeling we will be talking about this one for a long time..........

My biggest problem will be getting out of my driveway and to the areas.

Now for a little blowing session in 20 degrees with a 30 mph west wind.

post #2 of 8

Very nice.

 

Thanks for the photo and have fun!

post #3 of 8

Unless the kids get slammed with homework this weekend, we'll be at Nub's or the Highlands.

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
 

Free first day last weekend at Boyne Highlands with 6-8" of powder.

Nubs opening next weekend with more snow than I have ever seen at this time of year.

Downtown Nauganee last Thursday before this current storm.

 

I'm getting the feeling we will be talking about this one for a long time..........

My biggest problem will be getting out of my driveway and to the areas.

Now for a little blowing session in 20 degrees with a 30 mph west wind.

Pic reminds me of my days in the Soo. By the end of the winter they had to cut down the banks to dig out the buried stop signs.

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr40 View Post
 

Unless the kids get slammed with homework this weekend, we'll be at Nub's or the Highlands.

 

I plan to ski Nubs on Saturday, I may go to the  Hghlands on Sunday. I should be fairly easy to find.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
 

 

I plan to ski Nubs on Saturday, I may go to the  Hghlands on Sunday. I should be fairly easy to find.

 

I'll have them page you. :)

 

I suspect we'll just be skiing Sunday.  If I had to guess, I'd say we'll be skiing the Highlands...a little more variety for my wife and kids.  My wife needs a little arm twisting at this point...a little pre-holiday worrying, I guess.

post #7 of 8

From the Nub's website:

 

Quote:
WE WILL BE OPEN THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!
Winter has come early and in a big way again this year!  We started making snow early last week and have been running every minute we can since then.  We've also received over 26" of snow in the last 5 days and more is in the forecast! OPENING DAY IS THIS SATURDAY! 32 RUNS OPEN including 9 on Nub's South!

 

32 runs is a lot for opening weekend.

 

 

The Highlands says this:
 

Quote:

 

We will be open from 9am-4:30pm today (friday) through Sunday, closing Monday-Wednesday, and then opening for the season on Thanksgiving Day! We'll have 13 trails from North Camelot over to North Challenger, with four chairs spinning, including the Heather Express high speed lift.  This equates to 125 skiable acres and an average base depth of 20-36" of snow...all before Thanksgiving!  We'll be opening additional terrain just as soon as we can, so stay tuned for updates throughout the weekend.

 

A temporary terrain park will also be setup on Upper Heather with four features, two boxes and two rails.

post #8 of 8

Sure wish it was going to be colder this weekend.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Northern Michigan skiing is off to a stupid good start.