Hi all, After getting back into skiing last season after 20 year hiatus, I'm ready to buy a set of skis (just got boots, so I'm good there). I need some recommendations.
Some facts about me:
- I'm 225lbs and 5' 10"
- I ski in the midwest (Wisconsin is the closest to me from Chicago).
- I do mostly the blue and black runs on my local hills, which are not that long either.
- I would assume I'm intermediate-advanced.
- It's all on-piste here, as there's really not much powder, but would love to try powder some day.
- I'm not super aggressive. I like some speed but also like to chill out.
- This season I plan on skiing every other week or so.
I would like to have something versatile, that will let me get better while having lots of fun. I plan on taking some clinics to correct some old habits of mine. Eventually—though not this season—I want to go out West or to other major ski mountains. My goal is to become a good solid skier and need a ski that can help me do that.
I'd like to know what are the best skis for someone like me. The guy at the local shop recommended the Volkl RTM 81. But I'm overwhelmed by so many choices!
I'd like to stick to a $500 price range (I'm cool scouring sales, buying older models, or perhaps even buying used). But if good recommendations exceed this budget, I'm ok adjusting my expectations.