or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Racing and Big Mountain Competitions › Whent to Levi, and never expected this to happen!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whent to Levi, and never expected this to happen!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I whent up to Levi to check out the WC SL opening race. Turned out my trip rappidly became worht while shortly after it started as I sat down in my seat on the hour and a half flight up north. The reason was that the seat next to mine was occupied by non less than Ted Ligety. What more could you ask for, Christmas came early...... talked technique, gear, hobbies and some personal stuff while his coach was taking a nap :). And got myself a pickture and an authograph :yahoo:!

 

TDK


Edited by tdk6 - 11/17/14 at 12:32pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post
 

I whent up to Levi to check out the WC SL opening race. Turned out my trip rappidly became worht while shortly after it started as I sat down in my seat on the hour and a half flight up north. The reason was that the seat next to mine was occupied by non less than Ted Ligerty. What more could you ask for, Christmas came early...... talked technique, gear, hobbies and some personal stuff while his coach was taking a nap :). And got myself a pickture and an authograph :yahoo:!

 

TDK


Show us the photo!  Who cares you miss spelled the last name.  We all know who he is.  You have been star struck!  :beercheer:

post #3 of 18

Yeah--photo required!

 

So, what did you learn from Ted Ligety in that hour-and-a-half, TDK? What's on Ted's mind these days? (Why did he lose by over 3 seconds?)

 

:)

 

Best regards,

Bob

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes View Post
 

Yeah--photo required!

 

So, what did you learn from Ted Ligety in that hour-and-a-half, TDK? What's on Ted's mind these days? (Why did he lose by over 3 seconds?)

 

:)

 

Best regards,

Bob

Thumbs Up  Inquiring minds want to know!

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hahaa... Bob, proof is in your PM box.

 

Ted turned out to be a really nice guy. I asked him about stuff.... skis, boots, trawelling, off season sports, powder skiing, the team, coaches, competitors and offcourse whats the GS magic all about. Since it was not an interview I will not get into the details of it all but he did not miss a chance to praise Head skis and gear. That's the best there is he said. And Shread helmets. How they are designed and made. He was really fired up on that topic.

 

I think I know one reason he did not ski that well on race day. We took the afternoon plane on Thursday. By then he had been trawelling since six in the morning. Whatever that means. Must have been a long long day for him with all those plane changes both in the US and in Europe. So he was tired. And jet-lagged. And he was flying all the way back to Colorado on Sunday after the race. He said the team was trawelling super light and that it was just an in-and-out stop and go.

 

T

post #6 of 18

Just share the photo here.  What's the problem with that?  It not like it's illegal.

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

The photo was out of focus anyway!

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post
 

The photo was out of focus anyway!


That's because he looks fast sitting down!  :beercheer:  Be good!

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post

I think I know one reason he did not ski that well on race day. We took the afternoon plane on Thursday. By then he had been trawelling since six in the morning. Whatever that means. Must have been a long long day for him with all those plane changes both in the US and in Europe. So he was tired. And jet-lagged. And he was flying all the way back to Colorado on Sunday after the race. He said the team was trawelling super light and that it was just an in-and-out stop and go.
The Universal Sports broadcast briefly showed a tweet from Ligety saying something to the effect of "21 hours of travel for 2 minutes of skiing." Sounds brutal!
post #10 of 18

Thumbs Up :beercheer:

post #11 of 18

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

I have met this guy at Mt. Bachelor.  It is his home Mt. when he is home.  He's not home too often during ski season.

post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

I have met this guy at Mt. Bachelor.  It is his home Mt. when he is home.  He's not home too often during ski season.

 

Ummmmm, help me out here.  Can I get some initials?

post #13 of 18
I'm on a tablet, so these pics are too small, but maybe they will help you..

http://usskiteam.com/athletes/all/alpine

It says Tommy Ford is from Bend, but the pics look different.
post #14 of 18

 

Some guy wearing a "Hike Breckenridge" t-shirt showed up at my local ski shop a couple weeks ago.  He wanted to get a picture holding my ski race medals from my beer-race league.

 

Or, ummmmm, something like that.  :D:rolleyes

post #15 of 18

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Barnes View Post
 

Yeah--photo required!

 

So, what did you learn from Ted Ligety in that hour-and-a-half, TDK? What's on Ted's mind these days? (Why did he lose by over 3 seconds?)

 

:)

 

Best regards,

Bob


This is a good summary.  (Love the way he uses sarcasm)

 

 

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

I have met this guy at Mt. Bachelor.  It is his home Mt. when he is home.  He's not home too often during ski season.

 

Ummmmm, help me out here.  Can I get some initials?

Clue:
S. P. he works for Universal Sports. If you watch Cup skiing you hear his voice all the time.

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

Clue:
S. P. he works for Universal Sports. If you watch Cup skiing you hear his voice all the time.

 

Steve Porino?

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

Clue:
S. P. he works for Universal Sports. If you watch Cup skiing you hear his voice all the time.

 

Steve Porino?


You win!  Congratulations!  I still have not made a turn with him, but maybe someday I will.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Racing and Big Mountain Competitions › Whent to Levi, and never expected this to happen!