or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Humour and Fun Stuff › Waxing Skis according to Playboy Magazine (SFW)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waxing Skis according to Playboy Magazine (SFW) - Page 3  

post #61 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post


Yecch. So this is what passes for funny these days? Idiotic smiles on buxom women with their assess hanging out? Frankly I'd prefer a helmet thread.


This is a tuning thread, so the  formerly popular garage calendars (before it become politically correct to stop printing them) come to mind for some of us guys.    Don't worry, ladies.  Many of  us live in a community property state,  and are constantly reminded of the real world:

 

 CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #62 of 107

I think most of (the guys) here are missing an important distinction between what is fun/tasteful/appropriate and what is offensive.  

 

The first is a matter of taste. Don't like frivolity (like the marijuana or music threads, or this one)? That's cool. Do like em? Cool. Start more of them. If those that don't like them accidentally click and get upset, we can get them some Perry Como CD's, strike that, cassettes, and a hot Lipton Iced Tea.

 

But what is offensive is a whole other matter. Spindrift and others have taken exception to the objectification and demeaning qualities of the video.  Damn right Spindrift. I don't want my daughter to see shit like this and think that all she has going for her is a pair of fake tits, a smile, and an obliging manner. 

 

Instead, I took her to see Pretty Faces in SF. If you have a daughter, picture her in that playboy video and ask yourself if you are a proud papa. That will tell you right there whether this is inherently offensive.

 

I don't really care about playboy or other such nonsense and mostly ignore them. But people have been reacting to Spindrift et al. like they are just uptight. There is a big difference. 


That said, I associate the offense with playboy and much larger social and cultural . Not philpug, not EpicSki. I actually thought it was very interesting that Playboy did this, and that, ignoring the noise, it was a reasonably good, if superficial, intro to waxing. Which doesn't make it unoffensive. 

post #63 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn View Post
 

I think most of (the guys) here are missing an important distinction between what is fun/tasteful/appropriate and what is offensive.  

 

The first is a matter of taste. Don't like frivolity (like the marijuana or music threads, or this one)? That's cool. Do like em? Cool. Start more of them. If those that don't like them accidentally click and get upset, we can get them some Perry Como CD's, strike that, cassettes, and a hot Lipton Iced Tea.

 

But what is offensive is a whole other matter. Spindrift and others have taken exception to the objectification and demeaning qualities of the video.  Damn right Spindrift. I don't want my daughter to see shit like this and think that all she has going for her is a pair of fake tits, a smile, and an obliging manner. 

 

Instead, I took her to see Pretty Faces in SF. If you have a daughter, picture her in that playboy video and ask yourself if you are a proud papa. That will tell you right there whether this is inherently offensive.

 

I don't really care about playboy or other such nonsense and mostly ignore them. But people have been reacting to Spindrift et al. like they are just uptight. There is a big difference. 


That said, I associate the offense with playboy and much larger social and cultural . Not philpug, not EpicSki. I actually thought it was very interesting that Playboy did this, and that, ignoring the noise, it was a reasonably good, if superficial, intro to waxing. Which doesn't make it unoffensive. 


How do you feel about Kim Kardashian's butt being all over the internet at her own behest?

Do you think that should be illegal?

Disclaimer...I support freedom of speech and allowing all discourse that is not libelous or slanderous.  Once you start trying to not offend instead of speaking your mind you are being intellectually dishonest  and the quality of your thought will be diminished.

post #64 of 107

I watched Scandal last night. That show in general is way more vulgar, offensive and demeaning, than anything I've ever seen on epic...or Playboy.  Scandal is on at TV.

post #65 of 107

Well, the starting quality of thought is dubious at best; for example,  isn't every bucket list thread a cheap objectification of one's own hopes of happiness?   

post #66 of 107

While it would set a dangerous precendent, I'm all of for making Kim Kardashian illegal - in any form.  Please, please go away.

post #67 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
 


How do you feel about Kim Kardashian's butt being all over the internet at her own behest?

Do you think that should be illegal?

Disclaimer...I support freedom of speech and allowing all discourse that is not libelous or slanderous.  Once you start trying to not offend instead of speaking your mind you are being intellectually dishonest  and the quality of your thought will be diminished.

Sheesh. Who said anything about illegal?  Way to build a strawman. Nobody's talking censorship here. I don't give a damn about Playboy, Kardashians, or the like. But when somebody points out how offensive something is, don't treat them like they are just uptight. You have a daughter dakine?

post #68 of 107

I don’t get it. Why is everyone getting their drawers in a bunch.

 

I have seen Jacques wax skis in his videos many times and I have never ever have thoughts about objectifying Jacques. There isn’t much difference between Jacques videos and this one. Granted that Jacques’ techniques are a bit more proficient.

 

Just think of this video as a beginner’s intro to waxing. Maybe we should steer the discussion towards MA of wax scraping in the video.    

   

You see what you want to see. Sin begins in the mind.  :cool 

post #69 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGrump View Post
 

I don’t get it. Why is everyone getting their drawers in a bunch.

 

I have seen Jacques wax skis in his videos many times and I have never ever have thoughts about objectifying Jacques. There isn’t much difference between Jacques videos and this one. Granted that Jacques’ techniques are a bit more proficient.

 

Just think of this video as a beginner’s intro to waxing. Maybe we should steer the discussion towards MA of wax scraping in the video.    

   

You see what you want to see. Sin begins in the mind.  :cool 

Assuming this is a joke, I'll laugh with you and lighten the mood :beercheer:

post #70 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by afterburn View Post

 

You have a daughter dakine?

 

This reminds me of a song from Rodney Atkins - Cleaning this Gun (Come on in Boy). 

 

The most revealing line in that song is "Well now that I’m a father, scared ti death one day my daughter is gonna find that teenage boy I used to be, that seems to have just one thing on his mind."

Those damn mirrors are scary thing. :D  

post #71 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn View Post

Assuming this is a joke, I'll laugh with you and lighten the mood :beercheer:

 

It's not a joke. I'm all serious. :rolleyes

Some people will get offended at anything if you will just give them a chance.

 

I come here to laugh and have a good time just like when I'm out skiing - This is the the Humor & Fun Stuff Forum after all.  

I too would find it objectionable if Phil posted the video in the Tuning Forum - which I hold sacred. :D

post #72 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGrump View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn View Post

Assuming this is a joke, I'll laugh with you and lighten the mood :beercheer:

 

It's not a joke. I'm all serious. :rolleyes

Some people will get offended at anything if you will just give them a chance.

 

I come here to laugh and have a good time just like when I'm out skiing - This is the the Humor & Fun Stuff Forum after all.  

I too would find it objectionable if Phil posted the video in the Tuning Forum - which I hold sacred. :D


Not that I care, but it was in tuning, then it got moved.   Actually some good advice in both of the videos on this thread.  Just the scrape off old wax deal was bad as there should never be that much wax left on any ski ever.  It was like they had a layer of wax on that puppy!  Cool overnight, good, brush, good.  Actual ski irons, good.  I'm back to my shop!  Be good all.

post #73 of 107

IIRC this started out in the regular tuning forum. Someone please correct me if I am factually wrong.

 

And even in the "humor" forum - it is,at best,  in poor taste and offensive given the supposed intent of the site. I find it quite objectionable (increasingly so as it develops as a matter of fact)  - even in the current forum.

 

OTOH, it is providing useful "data".

post #74 of 107

post #75 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joal View Post
 

Always wear proper protective gear when working on your skis.  I think she looks a bit like the girl that had skis painted on her.

 

 

 

People see what they want to see. 

 

Take the above photo for example. My initial reaction is "Damn the lighting really sucks, I can't see a thing".

Then I imported it into PhotoShop and cleaned up the lighting. So I can see what is going on. The first thing I noticed was the B&D (no, not that B&D - get your mind out of the gutter) Workmate, I haven't seen one of those in a while and how it makes for a bad tuning bench. The next thing I see is the pair of Rossi in the middle on the wall - A pair I always wanted. Then I moved onto the Dynamic - thinking Amer bought Dynamic and they don't sell them in the US anymore. After that I zoomed in on the grey pair on the left of the long Rossi and thought about all the Lacroix ski I used to see on the slope at Stratton back in the late '70 & early '80. The model was the last thing I looked at and the first thing I noticed about her was the length of the apron - too long for my taste. I like my aprons to end above my knees. Maybe I'm getting old and/or maybe I didn't come to Epic to look for porn. Ski-porn maybe but not porn-porn.

 

You see what you want to see. :cool

 

PS. Mrs.Grump just walked up while I'm typing this post with the photo on a separate screen and said "Wow, she's hot". I'm so disappointed at her due to her reaction. She didn't see either the old Workmate or the skis on the wall. What kind of skier did I really marry. :D   

post #76 of 107

I have a daughter and a grand daughter.

They understand the difference between some potty humor and serious offense.

I'm seriously offended when Wall Street crooks steal trillions of dollars and are not prosecuted.

A funny, sexist picture....not so much.

PC people that get in a wad about trivia while ignoring the swamp of corruption that the US has become have seriously twisted priorities.

Freud would have a lot to say about that.

Jail the bankers and set the tits free......that's a position more in line with my priorities.

post #77 of 107

My daughter is 13 and very good looking, enough so that I should serious considering mounting a shotgun rack in the Jetta Wagon just to let the boys know that I'm watching.

 

That said, humor is humor, if you don't get it, well get a life.

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer:  Jacques tuning was not harmed in making this statement even though its rumored he sings off key ;).....@Jacques No offense :beercheer:just a cheat shot (maybe of liquor).

post #78 of 107

Sad as it may be, plenty of women want to be to be “objects” to men.  Think about it, PLAYBOY has no shortage of wannabe playmates, cheerleading is considered a sport, and even the costumes on Dance Moms make people think twice about what the moms are trying to accomplish.  Of course, a lot of guys are banging weights in the gym to attract women, so it works both ways.  The fact is most healthy people think about sex often, and trying to ignore this is futile.  Therefore, I see nothing wrong with a little fun that is SFW (well, some workplaces).

 

If someone is going to be critical of this type of humor, then they should be consistent about their objections to any and all perceived or actual harm of women.  Specifically, I’d expect them to protest women not being able to drive a car in Saudi Arabia, women not being able to ride a bicycle in Gaza, female genital mutilation (FGM) all over the Middle East, girls and women sold into slavery by ISIS, forced marriages throughout the world, lack of voting rights for women in many countries, rape laws in certain religious countries that condemns the victims, women being forced to take home related courses in school, etc.   Unfortunately, the hypocrites don’t do this.  Instead, they complain about us watching videos starring women who were seemingly very happy to appear in a humorous situations. 

 

FWIW, I have two middle school boys who have come home from school with some offensive remarks (I assume it comes from other students) about  women.  This is not allowed in our home and is immediately stopped.  Humor is one thing, and being hurtful is another thing. 

post #79 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post
 

My daughter is 13 and very good looking, enough so that I should serious considering mounting a shotgun rack in the Jetta Wagon just to let the boys know that I'm watching.

 

That said, humor is humor, if you don't get it, well get a life.

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer:  Jacques tuning was not harmed in making this statement even though its rumored he sings off key ;).....@Jacques No offense :beercheer:just a cheat shot (maybe of liquor).


Off key!  Now you just killed me!  I don't recall singing in my tune videos though.  Hey, you might be on to something there.  A tuning video that is all singing!  Folks remember a song!  Be good.

post #80 of 107
The fact that I don't take my politics onto Epic and create threads about the lot of women makes me a hypocrite???? WTF!! A totally gratuitous remark meant to somehow shame me into taking back my irritation with supposedly "humorous" videos? I am sorry, it is all of a piece. I can let the movie pass me by, but your statement here is totally uncalled for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

Sad as it may be, plenty of women want to be to be “objects” to men.  Think about it, PLAYBOY has no shortage of wannabe playmates, cheerleading is considered a sport, and even the costumes on Dance Moms make people think twice about what the moms are trying to accomplish.  Of course, a lot of guys are banging weights in the gym to attract women, so it works both ways.  The fact is most healthy people think about sex often, and trying to ignore this is futile.  Therefore, I see nothing wrong with a little fun that is SFW (well, some workplaces).

If someone is going to be critical of this type of humor, then they should be consistent about their objections to any and all perceived or actual harm of women.  Specifically, I’d expect them to protest women not being able to drive a car in Saudi Arabia, women not being able to ride a bicycle in Gaza, female genital mutilation (FGM) all over the Middle East, girls and women sold into slavery by ISIS, forced marriages throughout the world, lack of voting rights for women in many countries, rape laws in certain religious countries that condemns the victims, women being forced to take home related courses in school, etc.   Unfortunately, the hypocrites don’t do this.  Instead, they complain about us watching videos starring women who were seemingly very happy to appear in a humorous situations. 


FWIW, I have two middle school boys who have come home from school with some offensive remarks (I assume it comes from other students) about  women.  This is not allowed in our home and is immediately stopped.  Humor is one thing, and being hurtful is another thing. 
post #81 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


Off key!  Now you just killed me!  I don't recall singing in my tune videos though.  Hey, you might be on to something there.  A tuning video that is all singing!  Folks remember a song!  Be good.


Now we are getting somewhere.

Jacques in lederhosen yodeling out a tune job with a Schwarzenegger accent.

Add the Pauli Girls for chorus in the background and give me a beer.

 

 

Note: No electrons were harmed in this thread.

post #82 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


Off key!  Now you just killed me!  I don't recall singing in my tune videos though.  Hey, you might be on to something there.  A tuning video that is all singing!  Folks remember a song!  Be good.


Now we are getting somewhere.

Jacques in lederhosen yodeling out a tune job with a Schwarzenegger accent.

Add the Pauli Girls for chorus in the background and give me a beer.

 

 

Note: No electrons were harmed in this thread.


You are funny as all get out!  That's good.  "Live long and prosper"  (From some Si-Fi movie or show)   Stressing is the killer.  Humor makes one live longer in a good way. 

Now back to the shop again.

post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post

Yecch. So this is what passes for funny these days? Idiotic smiles on buxom women with their assess hanging out? Frankly I'd prefer a helmet thread.


This is a tuning thread, so the  formerly popular garage calendars (before it become politically correct to stop printing them) come to mind for some of us guys.    Don't worry, ladies.  Many of  us live in a community property state,  and are constantly reminded of the real world:

 CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
I grew up as a woman doing the same job as men in offices and workshops decorated with girlie calendars. We didn't like it then, either.
post #84 of 107

And what did you do about it?

post #85 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzamp View Post

And what did you do about it?
This was in the 80s, and as you suggested, girlie calendars were the norm. Even mentioning them earned me things like harassment ranging from verbal abuse to getting physically cornered and groped, along with restriction from choice assignments or interesting work. Of course, at that time (the 80's) I had to deal with that shit anyway simply because I was there.

But I was damned if they were going to force me out, because I loved living in and near national parks and getting paid to work and play in the most beautiful places in the world. So what did I do? I avoided it when I could and endured it when I couldn't. I also trained myself out of acting feminine so as to present less of a target, cultivated physical and mental toughness, learned to watch my back, and kept myself as physically strong and able as anyone my size could possibly be.
post #86 of 107

In the interest of parity of objectification, perhaps Playboy could produce a similar video with men.  Would it receive the same reaction? 

 

I might not want to see it, although I would accept that it is meant in fun.

 

So,  (putting on "what if" thinking cap), what if as a result of videos like this, more people who already ski and snowboard started waxing and tuning their skis?  More product is sold, benefiting the manufacturers and retailers who sell the products; also more people are attracted to the sport so more lift tickets and passes are sold, benefiting the industry overall, and more people are skiing and boarding with better-maintained equipment, and are thus better able to feel the difference in performance, and thus willing to take lessons, and thus skiing safer in control, benefitting all of us?  

 

Of course unlikely. Objectification does not leads to positive cultural change.  

 

However the concept of "sex sells" has been used to sell cars, phones, appliances, magazines and everything else, including Lange boots.   Sometimes "family friendly" is the marketing angle, sometimes it isn't. 


Edited by DesiredUsername - 11/14/14 at 3:59pm
post #87 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post
 

In the interest of parity of objectification, perhaps Playboy could produce a similar video with men.

 

I might not want to see it, although I would accept that it is meant in fun.

 

So,  (putting on "what if" thinking cap), what if as a result of videos like this, more people who already ski and snowboard started waxing and tuning their skis?  More product is sold, benefiting the manufacturers and retailers who sell the products; also more people are attracted to the sport so more lift tickets and passes are sold, benefiting the industry overall, and more people are skiing and boarding with better-maintained equipment, and are thus better able to feel the difference in performance, and thus willing to take lessons, and thus skiing safer in control, benefitting all of us?  

 

Of course unlikely, exploitation rarely leads to positive cultural change.  However the concept of "sex sells" has been used to sell cars, phones, appliances, magazines and everything else, including Lange boots.   Sometimes "family friendly" is the marketing angle, sometimes it isn't. 


Objectification?  Absolutely.  Exploitation or offensive?  This is where the disagreements start.  A shop calendar (or waxing video) that offends any employee or customer should be taken down because it is offensive.  There is likely little argument there.  Are the women posing in the calendar sexual objects?  Sure.  Are the women  exploited?  I think not but others here will obviously disagree. Regardless, this is a skiing forum and not the workplace.  The starter of the thread was not attempting to offend anyone, and saw humor in the video.  Those who dislike his humor can simply vote with their mouse and not view the thread.  The women here certainly have the ability to begin their own objectification thread, since there are so many great looking guys skiing today.  I wish I were one of them, but I'm getting a little old for second looks.

post #88 of 107
There should be a molehills to mountains epic pass. I get both the offense and the humor. I love the look poster as it reminds me of a very particular point and time in history. Wholesome and hot. Way hotter than the playboy gurlz. Way back when we skied with several 'girls' who we certainly enjoyed looking at, but objectifying them wasn't an issue. They all ripped and were very respected as damn good skiers.
post #89 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post


Now we are getting somewhere.
Jacques in lederhosen yodeling out a tune job with a Schwarzenegger accent.
Add the Pauli Girls for chorus in the background and give me a beer.




Note: No electrons were harmed in this thread.

OMG what have I started.
post #90 of 107

This has been fun but I am going real skiing tomorrow - Loveland it is! Let the winter begin!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Humour and Fun Stuff
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Humour and Fun Stuff › Waxing Skis according to Playboy Magazine (SFW)