or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Helps You Ski Better? - Page 3

post #61 of 70

#1 - you have to learn how to properly use your poles to initiate a turn. 

You need good fitness as mentioned, yoga is good, and a backyard trampoline is awesome.

post #62 of 70

To return to the use of concepting, which interests me entirely, and which I'd thought to be modern-ish -- I should say, contemporary-ish -- marketing lexicon, I find in the OED concept, the verb: Obs. rare. to conceive (in the womb).  See also concepted.  1643 R. O. Man's Mort. It [the Soul] is concepted in the womb through the concurrence of the seed of both sexes.

 

My spell-checker doesn't like it, but there's precedence. 

post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 

To return to the use of concepting, which interests me entirely, and which I'd thought to be modern-ish -- I should say, contemporary-ish -- marketing lexicon, I find in the OED concept, the verb: Obs. rare. to conceive (in the womb).  See also concepted.  1643 R. O. Man's Mort. It [the Soul] is concepted in the womb through the concurrence of the seed of both sexes.

 

My spell-checker doesn't like it, but there's precedence. 

 

 

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=concepting%2C+concepted&year_start=1600&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cconcepting%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cconcepted%3B%2Cc0

 

There's an interesting spike in the past participle in 1820.       As in the year John Smith had visions.   And the year we started eating tomatoes. 

It doesn't get used much between that and the end of the John Brown era.  

post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

 

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=concepting%2C+concepted&year_start=1600&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cconcepting%3B%2Cc0%3B.t1%3B%2Cconcepted%3B%2Cc0

 

There's an interesting spike in the past participle in 1820.       As in the year John Smith had visions.   And the year we started eating tomatoes. 

It doesn't get used much between that and the end of the John Brown era.  


Oh my gosh, what a cool tool!  I graphed one of my favorite obsolete substantives, elver, and the Viewer came back with a surprising spike between 1671 and 1692 -- in fact, references fell from an absolute high to zero in 1692.  Why?  A surfeit of eels?

post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 
- in fact, references fell from an absolute high to zero in 1692.  Why?  A surfeit of eels?

 

Click on the date breakdowns at the bottom and it will show you the actual references in Google Books. 

post #66 of 70
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Click on the date breakdowns at the bottom and it will show you the actual references in Google Books. 


Thanks.  Oh my gosh.  

 

This from Daniel Defoe:  Cainsham River is noted for producing Multitudes of little Eels in the Spring of the Year : these the People catch, when they are about two Inches long ; and, having boiled them, they make them into small Cakes, for Sale. These Elver-cakes they dispose of at Bath and Bristol; and, when they are fried, and eaten with Butter -- nothing is more delicious.

post #68 of 70

1)  Good Snow.  2)  Good Boots.  3)  Good Attitude.  

 

We control the last two, so let's start praying for the first!

post #69 of 70
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post

....
Oh my gosh, what a cool tool!  I graphed one of my favorite obsolete substantives, elver, and the Viewer came back with a surprising spike between 1671 and 1692 -- in fact, references fell from an absolute high to zero in 1692.  Why?  A surfeit of eels?

Picture's worth a surfeit of words.

 

post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

Picture's worth a surfeit of words.

 


Ça suffit.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion