or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Switching to the dark side!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Switching to the dark side!!

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
As a good level intermediate skier I have decided that at 48 my knees can't take the heavier powder these days. I've been able to snowboard for about 5 years now but always kept loyal to skiing. My next holiday will be my first as a snowboarder. Any advice on a good pair of boots? Love the powder so would need something to aid me in that area.
G
post #2 of 15

A skiing forum might not be the best place for answers..

post #3 of 15

I would suggest switching back before it is too late for you and your soul. Just my two cents. 

post #4 of 15

I use the Burton DriverX.  As a skier, I kind of like a stiff boot.

post #5 of 15
post #6 of 15

As somebody who skis and snowboards, I have to wonder about your knee issues. Snowboarding has always put more strain on my knees than skiing, rather than vice versa. The deeper "seated" stance of snowboarding lends itself to that. I'm wondering if the problem isn't the skis, but an issue with your form. 

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geester View Post

 Any advice on a good pair of boots?

 

post #8 of 15

Get better?

 

I say that somewhat seriously. Skiing powder is so much easier on my joints than skiing anything else, from packed pistes, to cut up, etc. The powder is like a cushion, and the turns are much smoother, and the transition from weight to unweight on the muscles so much gentler. I can relax in the pow (even if it's steep... maybe even more since I'm deeper in the fall line), but I can't really relax on piste.

 

Snowboarding might limit the risk of doing an ACL, but I'd think that it might actually be harder on the knees from a wear-and-tear perspective if pow is your thing. 

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeski919 View Post
 

As somebody who skis and snowboards, I have to wonder about your knee issues. Snowboarding has always put more strain on my knees than skiing, rather than vice versa. The deeper "seated" stance of snowboarding lends itself to that. I'm wondering if the problem isn't the skis, but an issue with your form. 

This was my thought exactly.  However I am a much better skier than snowboarder so that may make the difference.  

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geester View Post

As a good level intermediate skier I have decided that at 48 my knees can't take the heavier powder these days. I've been able to snowboard for about 5 years now but always kept loyal to skiing. My next holiday will be my first as a snowboarder. Any advice on a good pair of boots? Love the powder so would need something to aid me in that area.
G


So what's wrong with your knees? What happens when you're skiing? Why do you think snowboarding will be easier on your knees?

 

48 isn't too old for powder if you're standing on your skis accurately. I'm much older than 48, and I ski in one of the better powder venues in North America.

 

I would suggest that there could be technique issues, assuming you haven't actually damaged your knees playing basketball or something.

 

Balance is my fixation of the day. If you drop your hips, you're not balanced accurately, and it's very hard on your knees. If you learn to move and balance accurately, your knees will love you.

 

Sorry about not answering your question. Snowboarding is fun, too, but if you have knee pain, you may find that it will eventually come to you as you're riding on the board.

post #11 of 15
LOL, ask a simple question…
post #12 of 15
My knees find it almost impossible to get up on a snowboard from seated. I have roll over and get up on my toe edge with my backside sticking up in the air. The test is to sit on the floor and try to stand straight up without using your hands. If you can't, skiing may be easier for your knees after all.
post #13 of 15

Another question that comes to mind is do you make a living using your hands? If so, RUN back to skiing as snowboarding is super hard and tricky on wrists, thumbs elbows and shoulders. Nothing like ridin' big pow on a board but I gave it up when I moved back East. Hard Snow + Snowboard = Pain x Age

post #14 of 15
If like so many people you are sitting way back on your skis it will be hard on the knees. do you also ram your toes into the front of your boots? This is another sign of sitting way back. I just say this as so many intermediates do sit way back. I am not being a wise guy just something to think about, i have no idea how you ski.
This is sort of a joke (not on you); I see a lot of skiers that should have got their skis for half price as they only use the back half. I can see some of these people selling a used pair of skis "Skis for sale only used the back half of them".
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Momma View Post
 

Another question that comes to mind is do you make a living using your hands? If so, RUN back to skiing as snowboarding is super hard and tricky on wrists, thumbs elbows and shoulders. Nothing like ridin' big pow on a board but I gave it up when I moved back East. Hard Snow + Snowboard = Pain x Age


Skiers hurt thumbs, riders break wrists and collarbones and have a slightly elevated risk of head inury, as a general rule.  It depends what you do with those hands; broken wrists can actually be easier to deal with for some people.  But definitely good to think about either way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Switching to the dark side!!