or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for a pair of fat waisted powder skis, need recomendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a pair of fat waisted powder skis, need recomendations - Page 2

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

I see you guys keep suggesting these 190's and above, is it going to be too big of a jump for me to go from 178's up to the big leagues??

Maybe but maybe not. These are powder skis so you are on soft snow which makes things easier to push around. Also all the skis have rocker (some more than others) and that reduces the length of edge engaging the snow giving the effect of a shorter ski. 

FWIW my suggestions were deliberately in the 180s rather than 190s because your skiing ability is an unknown factor and 180s are a safer bet.  If you said you were an expert or strong advanced skier by Western standards (oops I just offended a whole bunch of easterners) then I would also be recommending in the 190s. Having said that to be realistic the difference between 178 and 190 is 4 3/4 inches which is only a couple of inches front and rear. Add some rocker with a real powder ski and it's not such a big deal. 


Edited by Castle Dave - 11/6/14 at 6:47pm
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

I see you guys keep suggesting these 190's and above, is it going to be too big of a jump for me to go from 178's up to the big leagues??

 

Without seeing you ski it is hard to tell but they are the "right" size.

 

I demoed two of the skis I recommended at a demo day, here are my notes to myself (I'm 3-4" shorter and 70lbs lighter than you).

 

Volkl Shiro 193
Felt really big.  Hard to manage at first on crowded groomers, glad I didn't hit anyone.  For me I needed 20+ mph before it would work then it just steam rolled everything.  Lots of fun charging soft bumps/crud on this one.

 

Blizzard Bodacious: 196
More fun & playful than the shorter Cochise.  Not as much fun charging as the Shiro but much easier to turn in tight spots.  Lacked some "personality" for me.

 

Here is a review of the 196cm Bodacious from a 5'11" 165lb tester:

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/blizzard-bodacious

post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

I see you guys keep suggesting these 190's and above, is it going to be too big of a jump for me to go from 178's up to the big leagues??

I can't imagine it would.  Rockered 190cm+ skis do not feel long to me.  Actually, they feel 'normalish' in deeper snow and downright short on groomers.  This presumes of course that you really want a big fat full on powder ski.  Speed, terrain, and skill are also factors.  So many factors....

post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post
 

I see you guys keep suggesting these 190's and above, is it going to be too big of a jump for me to go from 178's up to the big leagues??


K1, in all honesty if your approaching being an advanced skier, the 178's are to short for a guy your size.  But if you like em, ride em.  You would just be better served by a piste ski around 186 and a powder ski 192+.  Your price bracket doesn't work new, so some solid used skis is where I would go.  The Praxis suggestion is spot on.  Check these bad boys out: http://www.praxisskis.com/products/bps.html  in 193 you would crush deh pow:D  Seriously, my quantum leap in skiing pow is when I bought 190 Praxis Powder Boards and I am 5'10 / 210.  All my powder skis are 190+.  Go big or go home K1.

post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 


K1, in all honesty if your approaching being an advanced skier, the 178's are to short for a guy your size.  But if you like em, ride em.  You would just be better served by a piste ski around 186 and a powder ski 192+.  Your price bracket doesn't work new, so some solid used skis is where I would go.  The Praxis suggestion is spot on.  Check these bad boys out: http://www.praxisskis.com/products/bps.html  in 193 you would crush deh pow:D  Seriously, my quantum leap in skiing pow is when I bought 190 Praxis Powder Boards and I am 5'10 / 210.  All my powder skis are 190+.  Go big or go home K1.

 

The three skis I suggested are $370-400, add $120 for bindings, free shipping and mounting, and the whole thing fits in his price range and they are new.  They are even offering 10% off right now (it was 20% off a few days ago) making the total $441 to his door.  Can he afford hand made boutique skis and bindings for $500 new?  Come on.

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

 

The three skis I suggested are $370-400, add $120 for bindings, free shipping and mounting, and the whole thing fits in his price range and they are new.  They are even offering 10% off right now (it was 20% off a few days ago) making the total $441 to his door.  Can he afford hand made boutique skis and bindings for $500 new?  Come on.


Hey, each to their own madness.  I wouldn't buy the 3 skis you suggested:jedi:  But perhaps he will love your suggestions.  I would buy the Praxis all day long and cough up the extra $$ for the bindings, but that is me.  YYMV.  Plus Praxis allows him to pay half now and half in 30 days!!!

post #37 of 48

Isn't that like telling the guy who wants a $30,000 new car to buy the Porsche, its just so much nicer than the Subaru and you can get a 7 year loan?

post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase-1 View Post

I see you guys keep suggesting these 190's and above, is it going to be too big of a jump for me to go from 178's up to the big leagues??

No. They will feel different but you will get used to them and wonder why you stuck with little pool noodles for so long.biggrin.gif
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreBruce View Post

I can't imagine it would.  Rockered 190cm+ skis do not feel long to me.  Actually, they feel 'normalish' in deeper snow and downright short on groomers.  This presumes of course that you really want a big fat full on powder ski.  Speed, terrain, and skill are also factors.  So many factors....

The running length of my 190cm skis is 200mm (8") less than my 14yo sons 170cm older fully cambered fatties.
Ditch those noodles:D
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigr View Post


The running length of my 190cm skis is 200mm (8") less than my 14yo sons 170cm older fully cambered fatties.
Ditch those noodles:D

Exactly!  I use the ding dong rocker skis to chase my 8 and 10 year olds through the powdery tree runs.  The little cheaters are on 120 & 140cm skis.  

 

That's why I'm shopping for a pair like these for me when I want to go straight!  http://snowbrains.com/brain-post-1300-year-old-powder-ski-found-norway/


Edited by CanmoreBruce - 11/7/14 at 8:48am
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

Isn't that like telling the guy who wants a $30,000 new car to buy the Porsche, its just so much nicer than the Subaru and you can get a 7 year loan?


Hardly, the deal I cited was 399 for the Praxis BPS (limited number via FB deal). Although after your comments, I looked around and the super binding deals (130 bucks or so for some good 13-ish DIN bindings IIRC) of a month or two ago seem to have vanished. So it could have been a true budget buster or not -  with an all in of about 550(top end 600) give or take depending on shipping and tax details. And depending on how firm your definition of budget buster is. 

 

While my ski buying is rather unrestrained, I get budgets. I think most of us do. Nothing wrong with putting something on the budget margin out there and letting someone make the call...


Edited by spindrift - 11/7/14 at 9:11am
post #42 of 48

:beercheer:

post #43 of 48

Check this out: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/281912-2013-Volkl-Kuros-NIP-199-shipped-(185cm-and-195cm)

 

I love my Praxis -- but in my experience  the Volkl Kuro can also deliver a super fun ride (different personality though). This is a tough offer to beat if you want to get on a very fun dedicated soft snow ski that'll still get you back to the lift. And that will carry a heavier/bigger skier with no problem at all. This is pretty much a no risk deal in terms of budget.... 


Edited by spindrift - 11/8/14 at 1:30pm
post #44 of 48

Kase

Bodacious in the 186 would be ideal.

 

For the non clydesdale types it is a rigid charger, burly and demanding they're for the point em down movie stars.

 

I have the original model at 186 and they nicely bend and pivot for me.  I was 240 and they never bucked me off while obedient to my input.

 

Look around, there are many pair up for grabs for a song because nobody can handle them.  Demos are great, they never saw serious use and demo bindings give you flexibility to move the foot forward a bit easing them up.

post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
 

Check this out: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/281912-2013-Volkl-Kuros-NIP-199-shipped-(185cm-and-195cm)

 

I love my Praxis -- but in my experience  the Volkl Kuro can also deliver a super fun ride (different personality though). This is a tough offer to beat if you want to get on a very fun dedicated soft snow ski that'll still get you back to the lift. And that will carry a heavier/bigger skier with no problem at all. This is pretty much a no risk deal in terms of budget.... 

You beat me to it.  Sounds like a great deal and he may have 195's.

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

Check this out: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/281912-2013-Volkl-Kuros-NIP-199-shipped-(185cm-and-195cm)

I love my Praxis -- but in my experience  the Volkl Kuro can also deliver a super fun ride (different personality though). This is a tough offer to beat if you want to get on a very fun dedicated soft snow ski that'll still get you back to the lift. And that will carry a heavier/bigger skier with no problem at all. This is pretty much a no risk deal in terms of budget.... 

Wow. Great deal, great ski
post #47 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle Dave View Post
 

Maybe but maybe not. These are powder skis so you are on soft snow which makes things easier to push around. Also all the skis have rocker (some more than others) and that reduces the length of edge engaging the snow giving the effect of a shorter ski. 

FWIW my suggestions were deliberately in the 180s rather than 190s because your skiing ability is an unknown factor and 180s are a safer bet.  If you said you were an expert or strong advanced skier by Western standards (oops I just offended a whole bunch of easterners) then I would also be recommending in the 190s. Having said that to be realistic the difference between 178 and 190 is 4 3/4 inches which is only a couple of inches front and rear. Add some rocker with a real powder ski and it's not such a big deal. 

Having gone skiing only once west of the Mississip, I cant give an honest opinion on how I stack up against you cow pokes ;)  Back in the east I have no issue skiing any trails out in VT or upstate NY, I mean the ice factor is awful but pitch and terrain is no issue for me, if that helps at all??

post #48 of 48
Yes that helps.
There have been many excellent suggestions in this thread. IMO the best ski for the job is the Blizzard Bodacious in the 186. I think it's pretty safe to say that ski fills all you powder ski requirements for someone your size but why 186 instead of 196? Three reasons  1) You want to ski trees and glades 2) you don't have a lot of mileage on big mountains out West and you won't need a mach looney charger (at least not right away) 2) unlike some of the powder skis mentioned the Bodacious has basically no tail rocker and a subtle early rise. Like my Cochises on which I have 130+ days, the Bodacious hooks up tip to tail when rolled on edge so it doesn't ski short like fully tip and tail rockered skis. The 186 feels pretty close to 186 on groomers and that's a good thing because your other skis are too short.
Budget is the next issue. I had posted these earlier
$600 new with bindings and free shipping
They are $100 over your budget and PX 12 is doable but a little light for your weight. They might upgrade to a PX14  if you ask but it's still $100 over. I see lots of Bodacious on line even a few used so you could likely come in under budget with some careful shopping or just skip the beer budget for a month (worked for me).
The way it's snowing our East you could probably use them right now.
Good luck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for a pair of fat waisted powder skis, need recomendations