We will be driving from South Dakota to Montana for six days of skiing over New's Years. Any reason to check out anywhere else besides Big Sky? Whitefish is an additional 5 hours of skiing (each way!). Seems like there is enough to keep us happy at Big Sky. Any concerns about snow coverage at Big Sky. My teenage son and I prefer the steeper stuff and I worry a little about how much of the good stuff will be open and available to us. My preference is to wait last minute and chase the best snow to MT, Jackson or Steamboat but my wife is not a skier and likes the idea of having a place reserved now close to the slopes. Any thoughts? Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- Where do kids ski for free? Daily lift ticket or season-long discount for specific grade -... Last post on 10/14/16 at 5:12pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Big Sky March 2016 Last post on 5/17/16 at 3:34pm in Trip Reports
- Big Sky Spring Break - Trip Advice Needed Last post on 3/30/15 at 7:08am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Christmas 2015 Ski Trip Suggestions [first family trip out west] Last post on 2/23/15 at 3:23pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning Montana Ski vacation, need advice Last post on 10/21/15 at 6:01am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: Yesterday
- Unofficial Guide To Bridger BowlLast edited: 9/10/13
- Money And Time Saving Tips For Parents Of Young SkiersLast edited: 4/20/11
- How To Plan A Family Ski VacationLast edited: 9/7/14
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Montana for New Years [father & son, driving from SD]
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 611/4/14 at 7:40pmpost #3 of 611/5/14 at 12:17pmQuote:Any concerns about snow coverage at Big Sky. My teenage son and I prefer the steeper stuff and I worry a little about how much of the good stuff will be open and available to us.
You are likely to get some but far from all of the steeper stuff at Big Sky open. Big Sky's snowfall is modest but very consistent, so the likelihood of a bust with nothing steep open is rare.
Both Steamboat (373) and Jackson (369) get far more snow than Big Sky (285). Steamboat does not have much steep terrain, so on the face of it Jackson looks like your best choice. However, if you're skiing during the peak holiday period (Dec. 26 - Jan. 3) Jackson's popularity has been steadily rising and its lift system is not the most efficient in terms of handling peak crowds. That's an argument for Big Sky, where liftlines are rare with the conspicuous exception of the capacity limited (15 people) Lone Peak tram.
Yes Bridger is worth checking out if you're at Big Sky. The other Montana places are too far away unless you have a lot of extra time.post #4 of 611/5/14 at 4:33pmpost #5 of 611/6/14 at 7:02am
I would say go where the best snow is though that is a crowded time and you probably have to make lodging reservations well in advance. All the consistently steep sloes at Big Sky are off the Challenger lift and the Lone Peak Tram. Also the top of Moonlight Basin which shares the ridge that Challenger accesses.
- Montana for New Years [father & son, driving from SD]
- Unofficial Guide To Bridger Bowl
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 6 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 15 minutes ago
- › NOAA Winter Outlook issued 16 minutes ago
- › Are 4 Snow Tires Needed on a Front Wheel Drive Car 23 minutes ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 32 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 32 minutes ago
- › Olin MKVI Comp DH skis 38 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 43 minutes ago
- › 87 degree side edge too much for park? 55 minutes ago
- › Tuning Elan Amphibio 88xti skis 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer