We will be driving from South Dakota to Montana for six days of skiing over New's Years. Any reason to check out anywhere else besides Big Sky? Whitefish is an additional 5 hours of skiing (each way!). Seems like there is enough to keep us happy at Big Sky. Any concerns about snow coverage at Big Sky. My teenage son and I prefer the steeper stuff and I worry a little about how much of the good stuff will be open and available to us. My preference is to wait last minute and chase the best snow to MT, Jackson or Steamboat but my wife is not a skier and likes the idea of having a place reserved now close to the slopes. Any thoughts? Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- Where do kids ski for free? Daily lift ticket or season-long discount for specific grade -... Last post on 3/21/17 at 7:53pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Big Sky March 2016 Last post on 5/17/16 at 3:34pm in Trip Reports
- Big Sky Spring Break - Trip Advice Needed Last post on 3/30/15 at 7:08am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Christmas 2015 Ski Trip Suggestions [first family trip out west] Last post on 2/23/15 at 3:23pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning Montana Ski vacation, need advice Last post on 10/21/15 at 6:01am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide To Bridger BowlLast edited: 9/10/13
- Money And Time Saving Tips For Parents Of Young SkiersLast edited: 4/20/11
- How To Plan A Family Ski VacationLast edited: 9/7/14
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Montana for New Years [father & son, driving from SD]
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 611/4/14 at 7:40pmpost #3 of 611/5/14 at 12:17pmQuote:Any concerns about snow coverage at Big Sky. My teenage son and I prefer the steeper stuff and I worry a little about how much of the good stuff will be open and available to us.
You are likely to get some but far from all of the steeper stuff at Big Sky open. Big Sky's snowfall is modest but very consistent, so the likelihood of a bust with nothing steep open is rare.
Both Steamboat (373) and Jackson (369) get far more snow than Big Sky (285). Steamboat does not have much steep terrain, so on the face of it Jackson looks like your best choice. However, if you're skiing during the peak holiday period (Dec. 26 - Jan. 3) Jackson's popularity has been steadily rising and its lift system is not the most efficient in terms of handling peak crowds. That's an argument for Big Sky, where liftlines are rare with the conspicuous exception of the capacity limited (15 people) Lone Peak tram.
Yes Bridger is worth checking out if you're at Big Sky. The other Montana places are too far away unless you have a lot of extra time.post #4 of 611/5/14 at 4:33pmpost #5 of 611/6/14 at 7:02am
I would say go where the best snow is though that is a crowded time and you probably have to make lodging reservations well in advance. All the consistently steep sloes at Big Sky are off the Challenger lift and the Lone Peak Tram. Also the top of Moonlight Basin which shares the ridge that Challenger accesses.
- Montana for New Years [father & son, driving from SD]
- Unofficial Guide To Bridger Bowl
- › how to get into tree skiing 14 minutes ago
- › Is it me or the skis? 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Best name for a run... 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › First Chair Introductions - Where? How often? Solo or with others? 3 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › March 2017 Image of the Month Contest 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › 178CM SALOMON QST 118 W/ AXIAL2 120 4 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 4 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Ski Boots - size question 4 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Using the ankles to maintain balance and to increase your skills 4 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Blizzard quattro rx 174 , like new condition 5 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview