We will be driving from South Dakota to Montana for six days of skiing over New's Years. Any reason to check out anywhere else besides Big Sky? Whitefish is an additional 5 hours of skiing (each way!). Seems like there is enough to keep us happy at Big Sky. Any concerns about snow coverage at Big Sky. My teenage son and I prefer the steeper stuff and I worry a little about how much of the good stuff will be open and available to us. My preference is to wait last minute and chase the best snow to MT, Jackson or Steamboat but my wife is not a skier and likes the idea of having a place reserved now close to the slopes. Any thoughts? Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- Where do kids ski for free? Daily lift ticket or season-long discount for specific grade -... Last post on 10/14/16 at 5:12pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Big Sky March 2016 Last post on 5/17/16 at 3:34pm in Trip Reports
- Big Sky Spring Break - Trip Advice Needed Last post on 3/30/15 at 7:08am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Christmas 2015 Ski Trip Suggestions [first family trip out west] Last post on 2/23/15 at 3:23pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Planning Montana Ski vacation, need advice Last post on 10/21/15 at 6:01am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide To Bridger BowlLast edited: 9/10/13
- Money And Time Saving Tips For Parents Of Young SkiersLast edited: 4/20/11
- How To Plan A Family Ski VacationLast edited: 9/7/14
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
Montana for New Years [father & son, driving from SD]
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 611/4/14 at 7:40pmpost #3 of 611/5/14 at 12:17pmQuote:Any concerns about snow coverage at Big Sky. My teenage son and I prefer the steeper stuff and I worry a little about how much of the good stuff will be open and available to us.
You are likely to get some but far from all of the steeper stuff at Big Sky open. Big Sky's snowfall is modest but very consistent, so the likelihood of a bust with nothing steep open is rare.
Both Steamboat (373) and Jackson (369) get far more snow than Big Sky (285). Steamboat does not have much steep terrain, so on the face of it Jackson looks like your best choice. However, if you're skiing during the peak holiday period (Dec. 26 - Jan. 3) Jackson's popularity has been steadily rising and its lift system is not the most efficient in terms of handling peak crowds. That's an argument for Big Sky, where liftlines are rare with the conspicuous exception of the capacity limited (15 people) Lone Peak tram.
Yes Bridger is worth checking out if you're at Big Sky. The other Montana places are too far away unless you have a lot of extra time.post #4 of 611/5/14 at 4:33pmpost #5 of 611/6/14 at 7:02am
I would say go where the best snow is though that is a crowded time and you probably have to make lodging reservations well in advance. All the consistently steep sloes at Big Sky are off the Challenger lift and the Lone Peak Tram. Also the top of Moonlight Basin which shares the ridge that Challenger accesses.
- Montana for New Years [father & son, driving from SD]
- Unofficial Guide To Bridger Bowl
- › Smith Chromapop thoughts. 1 minute ago
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review 1 minute ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 6 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 12 minutes ago
- › How can I help her? 15 minutes ago
- › Resource list discussion thread 1 - books. 20 minutes ago
- › Tuning while travelling - tuning side edges, bases up? 22 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 24 minutes ago
- › Do police target skiers in your area? 32 minutes ago
- › what is a reasonable car service form Salt Lake City airport to... 33 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues