or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › How is Stowe planning to handle the construction this winter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How is Stowe planning to handle the construction this winter?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I've heard that there will be no parking at Spruce this winter due to the construction over there.  

 

Has anyone here heard what their plans are for parking and getting people to the lodge there?  How about ski school drop off for little ones?

 

I wonder if this will result in crowding at the Mansfield and Midway lodges, your thoughts on this?

 

I have seen almost nothing about this on their site, does anyone know if there are plans to communicate where people should go, or should I plan on dodging lots of confused people when navigating to the lodges this season?

post #2 of 19

No parking at Spruce isn't 100% true, there is parking for the Lodge guests and there is parking for MMSC (ski club families)... but for the general public? Yeah, no parking at Spruce. It seems the plan is to have all employees and construction people to park down near the XC Center and shuttle up to the mountain. This will free up some parking in the Mansfield base area... some. It seems the plan is to have everyone park at Mansfield and take the Over Easy gondola over to Spruce and back. Factor in the new 'discounted' Lamoille County passes and the under 30 pass deal and parking at Stowe is going to be a perfect final exam for an anger management class.

post #3 of 19

There may be a dropoff loop for kid's ski school, but that is not final yet. All parking (except for lodge guests) will as Mike said, be at Mansfield. They mountain company did at least add 5 cabins to the Over Easy Gondola so hopefully lines will not be a problem there. We'll see...

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Should prove very interesting.

I liked the fact that the folks starting their day at Spruce took a while to filter across the Over Easy, will need to see what the new crowd patterns wind up being.
post #5 of 19

Is the "no general public parking at Spruce" thing a temporary thing while they finish construction over at Spruce, or is this the new permanent reality going forward?

post #6 of 19
We were @ Edgewise last week & heard several racer parents claiming their kidz would opt out of programs this year rather than fight traffic.......
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

Is the "no general public parking at Spruce" thing a temporary thing while they finish construction over at Spruce, or is this the new permanent reality going forward?

There is a three level underground parking garage being built to increase public parking at Spruce... it just won't be ready for this season.

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post

We were @ Edgewise last week & heard several racer parents claiming their kidz would opt out of programs this year rather than fight traffic.......

MMSC has their own private parking lot... no one parking at Spruce will be great for them. Anyone saying they are going to quit due to traffic is, well, I'm going to guess they inherited their wealth because that level of critical thinking doesn't allow for 'self-made'.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

Is the "no general public parking at Spruce" thing a temporary thing while they finish construction over at Spruce, or is this the new permanent reality going forward?

From what I've heard this will be permanent.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

From what I've heard this will be permanent.

 

Well, Whiteroom is saying (as of post #7 in this thread) that they're putting in a parking garage at Spruce, so it sounds like by next winter, you'll be able to park at either side.

 

I'm not sure why they'd need a parking garage over there unless they're planning on putting up a whole lot more lodging over at Spruce or if they're simply trying to save people from the horror of having to brush the snow off their cars on the snowy days.  :rolleyes

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

 

Well, Whiteroom is saying (as of post #7 in this thread) that they're putting in a parking garage at Spruce, so it sounds like by next winter, you'll be able to park at either side.

 

I'm not sure why they'd need a parking garage over there unless they're planning on putting up a whole lot more lodging over at Spruce or if they're simply trying to save people from the horror of having to brush the snow off their cars on the snowy days.  :rolleyes

The underground parking going in is for Stowe Mountain Club members only. The only chance of public parking that I've heard will be payed valet parking & that will be limited

post #12 of 19

How's this working out? I'll be up there at the end of the month. Figuring this should just add to the fun holiday madness.:rolleyes

post #13 of 19

I've been up a couple days so far this season...  so far, things haven't been crowded enough to have more than a negligible impact on the parking situation over at Mansfield.  Just drive in and park where the <sarcasm on> always smiling <sarcasm off> parking lot attendants tell you to park.  The parking areas have had huge swaths of open spots even at "peak" hours so far.  The signs on mountain road telling employees to park over at the x-country area haven't gone up yet (at least not that I've seen); looks like staff is just parking in the remote corners of the main Mansfield lot.

 

I tend to get there pretty early.  In years past, I've been able to score first or second row Mansfield parking even on powder days; now I've been getting second or third row.  I've heard some grousing (from guests and employees) regarding what a s--- show it's going to be on a holiday weekend / busy Saturday, but I'll reserve judgement until it happens.

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
 

How's this working out? I'll be up there at the end of the month. Figuring this should just add to the fun holiday madness.:rolleyes

I was only there one weekday this year so it wasn't a problem at all. They did open up the two large maintenance lots when you first make the left off 108 to public parking. I think those two lots can hold more vehicles than Spruce ever could. Of course exiting the lot in the afternoon is likely to be a shit show.

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

I was only there one weekday this year so it wasn't a problem at all. They did open up the two large maintenance lots when you first make the left off 108 to public parking. I think those two lots can hold more vehicles than Spruce ever could. Of course exiting the lot in the afternoon is likely to be a shit show.

 

The only times I've seen that leaving is an issue is if it's snowing hard enough to make the hill down to the Matterhorn bar a problem (it took me about 40 minutes to reach the Matterhorn once...  on the bright side, the skiing in the morning was "off the charts" :cool).

 

People seem to leave at varying times; i.e., I've never seen a huge outflow of people all leaving at once.

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

 

The only times I've seen that leaving is an issue is if it's snowing hard enough to make the hill down to the Matterhorn bar a problem (it took me about 40 minutes to reach the Matterhorn once...  on the bright side, the skiing in the morning was "off the charts" :cool).

 

People seem to leave at varying times; i.e., I've never seen a huge outflow of people all leaving at once.

Lol. I've seen it where it takes almost an hour to get down the access road into town or the Moscow shortcut. This on nice days too. Had absolutely nothing to do with the current parking situation.

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
So far it has not been much of an issue, I was up Thanksgiving weekend. They have done a decent job with the drop-off/pick-up area for the Adventure center.

As others have said, we will see the reality when we hit the holiday period and have a lot more people accessing the hill.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

Lol. I've seen it where it takes almost an hour to get down the access road into town or the Moscow shortcut. This on nice days too. Had absolutely nothing to do with the current parking situation.

 

Wow, ok.  I haven't seen that happen, but I guess I've been getting lucky.  I guess one of these days my luck will change for the worse.

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
 

 

The only times I've seen that leaving is an issue is if it's snowing hard enough to make the hill down to the Matterhorn bar a problem (it took me about 40 minutes to reach the Matterhorn once...  on the bright side, the skiing in the morning was "off the charts" :cool).

 

People seem to leave at varying times; i.e., I've never seen a huge outflow of people all leaving at once.


Might be, but at least you won't have to merge with many cars coming out of the Spruce lots. Maybe that will help a little.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › How is Stowe planning to handle the construction this winter?