or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Cheater GS ski: Torn between Head iSpeed and Atomic D2 3.0 XT 175cm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheater GS ski: Torn between Head iSpeed and Atomic D2 3.0 XT 175cm

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Can I ask for some input from the room? Specifically on feel and delta between the Head iSpeed and Atomic XT?

 

I'm looking for a cheater GS for my home small hill in Ontario- I sometimes run the Juniors GS gates and it's a little tiny place, so 15-17M GS gates max, plus free skiing.

 

I'm not spending much time on GS skis anymore, so would like something I can just hop on and enjoy. I'm slowing down much and more careful after some big crashes and the increasing age factor. 

 

I've skied a few runs on the Atomic XT and liked the D2, but was thinking it a bit too turny as a parallel slalom ski. Didn't have huge confidence to hang it in the fall line, but it was early season and on just a run or so. But I think it's a very turny ski and I wonder at times about a high speed ski that wants to dart back across the fall line. 

 

I switched my slalom from Redster Atomic to Head i.SL last year and LOVED the feel, response and playfulness of the Head product. Can't imagine I will find a demo of the iSpeed around. I understand it's more accessible than years past with a softer plate. 

 

 

Has anyone skied the iSpeed? Did it feel like you could bring the Radius in with a bit of pressure? Is the flex comparable to the i.SL in feel and stiffness?

 

Head 175 cm  17.1 M Radius

Atomic 175cm XT  15.5 Radius

 

As an FYI, I had a recent pair of Dynastar Speed Course 178cm and sold them as felt they were a bit boring. You could do whatever you wanted with them (except hold them outside their radius), but that Head/Atomic energy just wasn't there. I also like the more forward balance point and ramp angle of the Head and Atomic anyway.

 

Also tried the Salomon 2V which had great edge feel, but at 19M felt like a lot of ski - very stiff, not a lot of ease of access. Crazy fast, but wanted to be in the fall line all the way. Too wild a horse to risk there. I have the Atomic Redster GS 175, great ski, but the wist and wide shovel make it slow laterally, requiring lots of advanced planning. I lent it out to one of the Junior racers as his GS ski last year and probably this year.

 

All input on the two skis above would deb most appreciated!

post #2 of 10

Bump because this shouldn't be buried. 

post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by csr_jr

 View Post
...Head i.SL last year and LOVED the feel, response and playfulness of the Head product. You seem to have answered your own question, except:

 

...I had a recent pair of Dynastar Speed Course 178cm and sold them as felt they were a bit boring. This complicates things, since I don't think the iSpeeds are a lot more demanding. They will feel different, a bit more pop at the end of the turn, but not be any higher performance IMO.

 

I have the Atomic Redster GS 175, great ski, but the wist and wide shovel make it slow laterally, requiring lots of advanced planning. And this you go and say this, which problematizes what you've said earlier. The Redster GS is a markedly higher performance ski than either the iSpeed or the Speed Course. So that should take care of "boring." It doesn't have a wide waist and shovel; a mm one direction or the other won't have any measurable impact of performance. It's meant to make medium to long radius turns, though, and what you describe as "advance planning" is what any race ski, FIS or club level, expects. OTOH, you find a GS/SL hybrid (the XT) too "turny." This leaves you with no options in the race or cheater/hybrid genre, unless what you're reacting to is not actually turning radius or width, but the feel of the ski. In which case, I'd suggest just going with the i Speed. You like the feel.

 

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by csr_jr

 View Post
...Head i.SL last year and LOVED the feel, response and playfulness of the Head product. You seem to have answered your own question, except:

 

...I had a recent pair of Dynastar Speed Course 178cm and sold them as felt they were a bit boring. This complicates things, since I don't think the iSpeeds are a lot more demanding. They will feel different, a bit more pop at the end of the turn, but not be any higher performance IMO.

 

I have the Atomic Redster GS 175, great ski, but the wist and wide shovel make it slow laterally, requiring lots of advanced planning. And this you go and say this, which problematizes what you've said earlier. The Redster GS is a markedly higher performance ski than either the iSpeed or the Speed Course. So that should take care of "boring." It doesn't have a wide waist and shovel; a mm one direction or the other won't have any measurable impact of performance. It's meant to make medium to long radius turns, though, and what you describe as "advance planning" is what any race ski, FIS or club level, expects. OTOH, you find a GS/SL hybrid (the XT) too "turny." This leaves you with no options in the race or cheater/hybrid genre, unless what you're reacting to is not actually turning radius or width, but the feel of the ski. In which case, I'd suggest just going with the i Speed. You like the feel.

 

 Would like to help CSR but not been on that Atomic and some time since I have been on an iSpeed.  Beyond makes a good analysis here though and i would agree with it.  One point though, when you talk about the Redster GS having a wide shovel, sounds like you are referring to the Non-FIS version at ~ 18m.  So, not a whole lot different form the Head or the Dynastar in that respect.  But of course very different feel. Only thing I would add in to the mix, since you like the feel of the Head is to take a look art the comparable Blizzard civilian GS version - GSR perhaps??

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post
 

 Would like to help CSR but not been on that Atomic and some time since I have been on an iSpeed.  Beyond makes a good analysis here though and i would agree with it.  One point though, when you talk about the Redster GS having a wide shovel, sounds like you are referring to the Non-FIS version at ~ 18m.  So, not a whole lot different form the Head or the Dynastar in that respect.  But of course very different feel. Only thing I would add in to the mix, since you like the feel of the Head is to take a look art the comparable Blizzard civilian GS version - GSR perhaps??


Sorry for the delay getting back. Didn't get the notification. Those are great thoughts guys - Yes, I'm assuming the difference is in feel, as Beyond mentioned I'd like more "pop" on the exit. I still think the Atomic was a bit slow across, maybe just the tail getting hooked in with all the shape. 

 

I'm going to go with the iSpeed - Blizzard is very tough to find around here, certainly no demos I'd imagine. Thanks for the input guys!

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csr_jr View Post
 


Sorry for the delay getting back. Didn't get the notification. Those are great thoughts guys - Yes, I'm assuming the difference is in feel, as Beyond mentioned I'd like more "pop" on the exit. I still think the Atomic was a bit slow across, maybe just the tail getting hooked in with all the shape. 

 

I'm going to go with the iSpeed - Blizzard is very tough to find around here, certainly no demos I'd imagine. Thanks for the input guys!


Interesting, because of all the 188/30 FIS GS skis I tested the Atomic D2 had probably the sharpest hook up of them....

post #7 of 10

The Atomic was likely a bit stiffer, and a stiffer ski needs more to make it bend, especially noticeable if you are not speeding.  This could be what caused you to interpret it as "a bit slow across" and "require lots of advanced planning". 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi Gents -

We are talking different skis here on the Atomic. I'm referring to the 18M ski that was slow across and about 70cm+/- underfoot. Not the D2 or FIS versions - the recreational ski from a few years ago.

What was it called - ah, yes - Atomic Race Ti... Had both the GS and Slalom carver, both of which I have lent out.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csr_jr View Post
 

Can I ask for some input from the room? Specifically on feel and delta between the Head iSpeed and Atomic XT?

 

 

This can be addressed/adjusted with lifter. Suggestion would be a 2mm delta from heel to toe but YMMV to what you are comfortable with. 

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks Phil.

 

I'll consider that after I've had a few runs.

 

Purchased last year's iSpeed in a 175cm - thanks for the input guys!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Cheater GS ski: Torn between Head iSpeed and Atomic D2 3.0 XT 175cm