I have been a lurker for a couple years now and never had anything to post about. Hopefully, I finally have something worth sharing and this does not blow up in my face.
I am an Assistant Professor at a smaller university in Southeast Minnesota and I developed a study abroad focused on skiing and snowboarding where students can earn 6 credits and travel to New Zealand this summer. I am not sure how many college students are on here, but, here is the information in case anyone is interested or knows someone who may be interested.
- Destination: Queenstown, New Zealand
- Course Dates: June 1 – August 7, 2015
- Travel Dates: July 6 – July 24, 2015
- The Fun Stuff: 3 days skiing / snowboarding each at Cardrona, Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, and Treble Cone (12 days total) plus meetings with local tourism officials and ski area managers/employees
- The Estimated Cost: $8,300 (includes everything but lunches – i.e. airfare with oversized bag, accommodations, transportation, lift tickets, etc.)
- The 6 Credits: Tourism Marketing and Customer Experience Design (both Marketing courses)
Things to note:
- The deadline to enroll is December 4, 2014
- All coursework (other than travel) can be completed online
- There is no transfer application fee / process – you simply fill out a form and you are a temporary WSU student
- There is no out of state tuition – the $8,300 is the cost for everyone
- Financial aid is available to cover the cost of the entire trip
- There is a $500 non-refundable deposit (you will get the deposit back if the program does not run – I need a minimum of 10 students for it to run)
- You must be a current student somewhere and have completed 60 college credits (be at least a Junior) by the start of the program to enroll
- We will be working with a local ski area to redesign their customer experience as the main part of the Customer Experience Design course
- Marketing is much more than sales and/or advertising. As a result, these courses are relevant to every major and anyone who may have a customer of some name (e.g. a patient, a client, a student, etc.)
- The inspiration behind the program is that I am sick of teaching with PowerPoint and was fortunate enough to travel to Queenstown a few years ago. So, I wanted to create a program that gives students a once-in-a-lifetime experience while also giving them something to differentiate themselves with on those first few job interviews.
More information can be found at http://www.winona.edu/travelstudy/newzealand.asp.
Feel free to send me a private message if you are interested and want more details.