or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Tuning - Shop Recommendation near Delaware
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tuning - Shop Recommendation near Delaware

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Hello, I'm looking to get my quiver tuned and need a good shop near Delaware.  DC, VA, PA, NJ, MD are all option but I don't want to drive 3 hrs each way.  

 

I heard Buckman’s Ski and Snowboard Shop is an option - maybe the Ardmore, PA shop. 

 

I've been skiing a long time but don't know too much about tuning and other maintenance.  

What am I looking for when I go to the shop to get my skis tuned?  

What should I ask them to do?  

I've read some threads that say a 1b/2s - is that 1 deg bevel and 2 deg edge?  A radial base grind?  Edges, Stone Grind and Wax?

 

I think I'd like to go to a shop with an automated system, especially after reading the article in Powder Mag about the Montana and Wintersteiger Robots.  The article said they are the next best thing to slice bread.  But then again they are probably only as good as the operator. 

 

Here is my TLC-needing quiver if it helps:

- Rossi Z9 (hard carving an oldie but goody) 
- Icelantic Nomad RKR (powder days)
- Blizzard Bonafide (a little bit of everything...my go to ski) 
- Black Diamond Revert, needs tips detuned (AT/BC setup with Dynafit for touring and some inbounds/side country laps)

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 18

Wicks in Exton has a pretty good machine, I would trust them. I think Steve Andrews is doing the tuning. 

post #3 of 18

Trying the tuning service at Buckman's (among others nearer the mountains) is what caused me to learn to tune myself. I never tried Wick's. There is also supposed to be a good tuner near Reading, Rick Reber, but again I have no personal experience.

post #4 of 18

Wick's just gave my GS and SL skis a nice stone grind.  This is the first time I used Wick's for such a service and I am pleased with the results.  IIIRC Phil was instrumental in getting Wicks to update their machine.  He can probably still remember the specs.  Steve moved back to VT.  There is a new guy named Greg.

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Style View Post

Wick's just gave my GS and SL skis a nice stone grind.  This is the first time I used Wick's for such a service and I am pleased with the results.  IIIRC Phil was instrumental in getting Wicks to update their machine.  He can probably still remember the specs.  Steve moved back to VT.  There is a new guy named Greg.
shame they lost Steve, he was very knowledgable. I found a great deal on that Wintersteiger for them, it has helped a lot for productivity and better results.

Johnny, call me when you get some free time, let's catch up.
post #6 of 18

Just something to think about. 

 

post #7 of 18

Here you go.  I would ask for hand tuning only!

post #8 of 18
Very interesting seeing both viedos. Thank you
post #9 of 18
I've been learning to hand tune myself. Not clear from the lower video if the machine tune is from a hand-held model or a automated machine.

Have not used it , but Blue Mountain has a Montana Challenge MAX machine for automated grinds, tuning, and waxing if that is how you want to go. Anyone with experience at this shop?

http://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/skiing-riding/retail-and-tuning/

Blue Mountain is home to the state-of-the-art Montana Challenge MAX Automated Ski & Board Tuning Machine. Blue Mountain is the first and currently, the only shop on the East Coast to operate the Challenge MAX! From race skis to a rental board, this machine provides fast & high-quality tuning services for your ride.

The Montana Challenge MAX is capable of tuning to World Cup standards and features Montana's Crystal Glide Finish and automatic HTT base beveling technology. This amazing machine has a 5 step process:

1.Repair
2.Stone Grinding
3.Side Edging
4.Base-edge Beveling
5.Waxing & Polishing
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Awesome. Lots to think about. I'll call up wicks and see what they have to offer. And I'll certainly consider the Montana machine at blue if I find the time to head that way and enjoy a fall drive thru the Pocanos.
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybum02 View Post

Awesome. Lots to think about. I'll call up wicks and see what they have to offer. And I'll certainly consider the Montana machine at blue if I find the time to head that way and enjoy a fall drive thru the Pocanos.

Maybe you can spot Eric Frein. 

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

I'll also be in DC this weekend...has anyone had any experience with the Ski Center?

 

http://www.skicenter.com/tuning.aspx

 

It looks like they have some sweet equipment too:

 

The service department at Ski Center has been revolutionized and revamped to include state of the art tuning machines with the wide stone of the Wintersteiger Micro 91, and the cup grinding capabilities of the Wintersteiger Trimjet.

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybum02 View Post
 

I'll also be in DC this weekend...has anyone had any experience with the Ski Center?

 

http://www.skicenter.com/tuning.aspx

 

It looks like they have some sweet equipment too:

 

The service department at Ski Center has been revolutionized and revamped to include state of the art tuning machines with the wide stone of the Wintersteiger Micro 91, and the cup grinding capabilities of the Wintersteiger Trimjet.

Fabulous, I have done a lot of business with them. Very knowledgeable in boot fitting, alignment and tuning. 

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTL View Post

I've been learning to hand tune myself. Not clear from the lower video if the machine tune is from a hand-held model or a automated machine.

Have not used it , but Blue Mountain has a Montana Challenge MAX machine for automated grinds, tuning, and waxing if that is how you want to go. Anyone with experience at this shop?

http://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/skiing-riding/retail-and-tuning/

Blue Mountain is home to the state-of-the-art Montana Challenge MAX Automated Ski & Board Tuning Machine. Blue Mountain is the first and currently, the only shop on the East Coast to operate the Challenge MAX! From race skis to a rental board, this machine provides fast & high-quality tuning services for your ride.

The Montana Challenge MAX is capable of tuning to World Cup standards and features Montana's Crystal Glide Finish and automatic HTT base beveling technology. This amazing machine has a 5 step process:

1.Repair
2.Stone Grinding
3.Side Edging
4.Base-edge Beveling
5.Waxing & Polishing


The machine tune from my video was from a ceramic disc machine.  Could be any super duper machine.  Why take so much life out of a ski you like.  With a true "true" hand tune you might like the skis a lot more.  Any base repair will render an extruded base.  Don't go for that squirting hot stuff all over the base of a ski if it is a sintered base.  Repair only what needs to be repaired on a base.  No giant irons to seal off so much base.  Bla bla bla.

post #15 of 18
The video in the Blue Mountain link shows the Montana machine uses belts, not discs, under wetted conditions, which I suspect would give a finer finish. And the stone grind takes off that extra material.
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybum02 View Post
 

I'll also be in DC this weekend...has anyone had any experience with the Ski Center?

 

http://www.skicenter.com/tuning.aspx

 

It looks like they have some sweet equipment too:

 

The service department at Ski Center has been revolutionized and revamped to include state of the art tuning machines with the wide stone of the Wintersteiger Micro 91, and the cup grinding capabilities of the Wintersteiger Trimjet.


Have heard good things about the Ski Center when people in the DC metro area ask about buying skis or boots.  More likely to get answers in a separate thread with "DC" in the thread title.  Or ask over on DCSki.com .

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTL View Post

I've been learning to hand tune myself. Not clear from the lower video if the machine tune is from a hand-held model or a automated machine.

Have not used it , but Blue Mountain has a Montana Challenge MAX machine for automated grinds, tuning, and waxing if that is how you want to go. Anyone with experience at this shop?

http://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/skiing-riding/retail-and-tuning/

Blue Mountain is home to the state-of-the-art Montana Challenge MAX Automated Ski & Board Tuning Machine. Blue Mountain is the first and currently, the only shop on the East Coast to operate the Challenge MAX! From race skis to a rental board, this machine provides fast & high-quality tuning services for your ride.

The Montana Challenge MAX is capable of tuning to World Cup standards and features Montana's Crystal Glide Finish and automatic HTT base beveling technology. This amazing machine has a 5 step process:

1.Repair
2.Stone Grinding
3.Side Edging
4.Base-edge Beveling
5.Waxing & Polishing

 

I am a proponent of the Blue Mountain ski tuning system, note, also, I'm the Blue Ambassador at Epic. They did a complete tune on a pair of Supershapes last season and I was very pleased. I can drop them off when done skiing, and, pick up the morning when I next ski. There are only a couple of persons who do this work, and, are not the "kids" we all fear. 

 

Many people I ski with use Blue tuning and give thumbs up!  It's not a short ride from Delaware, and, not sure when the tuning shop opens. It is a very impressive machine to observe, presently the process can be viewed via clear glass walls.

 

Edit: The Blue website indicates the Ski Tuning services are in the Valley Lodge. If so, this is a change from last season when the shop was in the Mountain (original lodge). Blue is doing a major overhaul of the Mountain Lodge and has relocated the Challenge machine to the Valley. From Blue Mtn. Facebook page:

 

Need to wax your planks or board? Tuning services are available in the Valley Sat & Sun 12-4pm! Please call for weekday hours 610.826.7700.


Edited by Living Proof - 10/22/14 at 7:38am
post #18 of 18
Good to know. Might try the Montana service when I need a stone grind on a base.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Tuning - Shop Recommendation near Delaware