or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Utah: Canyons vs Park City family trip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Utah: Canyons vs Park City family trip

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

we are planning possible trip to utah sometime after the holidays. we are epic local pass holders so the reason for choosing these 2 resorts which gives us the opportunity to ski w/o having to buy lift tickets during their non-blackout dates. we have 2 kids 6/5, both have skied out west and this will be there 4/3 season skiing respectively. planned trip will be probably in the 4-5 day range and revolve around them. both have taken classes in mpls where we live and out west every year. for their age both are solid intermediate skiers.

 

? is - b/w these two resorts which is a better family oriented, kid friendly for the skiing part? we usually ski breck every year w/ the occasional vail sprinkled in if time permits.

 

thanks

post #2 of 17

Why not ski both? Both would be fine.

post #3 of 17
Agree with MS, both are good choices for families with children those ages. I'd figure out lodging options and then factor in logistics in deciding which.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

skiing both is a thought we hadn't brought into the picture and will definitely consider it. ? is stemmed more since we have never been there for doing other things walking distance from hotels (we'll stay ski-in/ski-out or walking distance to lifts) to rest, shops, activities etc. is the 'town' of park city better than the 'town' of canyons sort of speak.

 

thanks again

post #5 of 17

Yes, the town of Park City is much better than the Canyons area.  Main Street, etc. is pretty nice.  It would be very easy to stay right near the base of PCMR and then take a shuttle bus over Canyons for a day or two.  The transit system is really great.

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfabs View Post
 

we are planning possible trip to utah sometime after the holidays. we are epic local pass holders so the reason for choosing these 2 resorts which gives us the opportunity to ski w/o having to buy lift tickets during their non-blackout dates. we have 2 kids 6/5, both have skied out west and this will be there 4/3 season skiing respectively. planned trip will be probably in the 4-5 day range and revolve around them. both have taken classes in mpls where we live and out west every year. for their age both are solid intermediate skiers.

 

? is - b/w these two resorts which is a better family oriented, kid friendly for the skiing part? we usually ski breck every year w/ the occasional vail sprinkled in if time permits.

 

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfabs View Post
 

skiing both is a thought we hadn't brought into the picture and will definitely consider it. ? is stemmed more since we have never been there for doing other things walking distance from hotels (we'll stay ski-in/ski-out or walking distance to lifts) to rest, shops, activities etc. is the 'town' of park city better than the 'town' of canyons sort of speak.

 

thanks again

Maybe we can get @Mr. Crab to stop by with comments about Park City for a family.

 

Here's a thread that has some useful info about Canyons for advanced beginners and intermediates.  @SportyandMisty is the EpicSki Ambassador for Canyons.  Found it in the list that is at the bottom of the Canyons Resort Page after I added the tag (link under Topics Discussed).

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/117854/first-time-in-utah-advice-requested

 

Park City is often suggested for mixed ability groups that include non-skiers because of the ability to walk around as well as the free bus system.

post #7 of 17

If the family stays in Old Town area, then there is lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Also, the town lift to PCMR.  But no grocery stores. Personally, I would recommend renting a car and staying wherever in PC area. The driving distances are close and it gives you maximum flexibility, including sights such as Olympic Park/ski museum, Gorgoza Park for tubing, and grocery/liquor stores. And typically, the cost is similar to a shuttle for 4 people anyway. That's my 2 cents.  

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Steve View Post
 

If the family stays in Old Town area, then there is lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Also, the town lift to PCMR.  But no grocery stores. Personally, I would recommend renting a car and staying wherever in PC area. The driving distances are close and it gives you maximum flexibility, including sights such as Olympic Park/ski museum, Gorgoza Park for tubing, and grocery/liquor stores. And typically, the cost is similar to a shuttle for 4 people anyway. That's my 2 cents.  

 

Agreed and if memory serves the Town Lift is downloadable.

post #9 of 17

Three trips out to Utah and my family prefers Canyons, both for skiing and accommodations. We stay at the Hyatt Escala, which is ski in ski out. My wife usually stops early and hits the outdoor hot tub (which is a must on her ski vacation list).  A must do is the zip-line over one of the canyons if you take a day off. We take the shuttle to town at night which stops right at the hotel, not a big deal to us. It is tough to describe why my family like skiing the Canyons over PCMR, We actually like how spread out the area is, some lifts seem to never have a lift line. The lift system is different, (some go up then down and over a canyon drop) but again my kids get a kick out of that. Just my 2 cents!! But with both on the Epic Pass I would definitely ski both as posted by others.

 

Oh, I agreed with Steve too, every time I price out shuttles renting a car is cheaper.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill9994 View Post
 

Three trips out to Utah and my family prefers Canyons, both for skiing and accommodations. We stay at the Hyatt Escala, which is ski in ski out. My wife usually stops early and hits the outdoor hot tub (which is a must on her ski vacation list).  A must do is the zip-line over one of the canyons if you take a day off. We take the shuttle to town at night which stops right at the hotel, not a big deal to us. It is tough to describe why my family like skiing the Canyons over PCMR, We actually like how spread out the area is, some lifts seem to never have a lift line. The lift system is different, (some go up then down and over a canyon drop) but again my kids get a kick out of that. Just my 2 cents!! But with both on the Epic Pass I would definitely ski both as posted by others.

 

Oh, I agreed with Steve too, every time I price out shuttles renting a car is cheaper.


If you don't mind me asking . . . how old are your kids?  Teens, tweens, or younger than 8?

 

My daughter and I love zip lines, but couldn't start doing them until she was a tween either due to age restrictions or not being heavy enough.  She loved Alta as an intermediate from the flatlands at age 7 but I would not have wanted to take the time to explore a spread out layout like Canyons with her at that point.

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


If you don't mind me asking . . . how old are your kids?  Teens, tweens, or younger than 8?

 

My daughter and I love zip lines, but couldn't start doing them until she was a tween either due to age restrictions or not being heavy enough.  She loved Alta as an intermediate from the flatlands at age 7 but I would not have wanted to take the time to explore a spread out layout like Canyons with her at that point.

My kids were 9 and 11 the first time we went to Utah. Here are the Canyons zip line information (which now that I read it doesn't really work for the OP):  

 

Red Pine Loop: $20
(1) ride on the demo zip line
(2) rides on Red Pine zip line

Epic Loop: $45
(1) ride on the demo zip line
(2) rides on the Red Pine zip line
(1) ride on Lookout zip line

Hours:
December 21 – 31 and Feb. 14th – Mar. 30.
Tours are available from 9:15am - 3:15pm on those days.

Zip Tour Rider Restrictions:
Age: 7 & older (Red Pine Loop) 10 & older (Epic Loop). Minors must be accompanied by legal guardian.
Weight: Must be between 50 lbs. and 260 lbs.
Height: Must be between 48 inches and 82 inches.
Individuals that are pregnant should not ride the Zip Tour

 

I spent months studying the Canyons trail map and checking it out on google earth to try to minimize the wth are we moments. I even added the lifts to a kmz file to help get the lay of the land better.

post #12 of 17

I have heard Park City's ski school ain't so great for young kids.  This was years ago though, when my kid was 4 and The canyons was called Wolf Mountain.  We stayed there and had a great time.  Easy shuttle to get you into Park City or ski other hills.

post #13 of 17
I prefer the varied terrain at the Canyons but find it frustrating to get around. The two end sections are isolated from the rest of the resort and there seem to be endless miles of subdivision access roads you have to ski on.

By comparison PCMR is very easy to navigation and broken up into convenient "zones" off the lifts. You could spend all day with the kids hitting the blues off Kong alone. The services seem to be more convenient as well.

For your sanity alone I would recommend PCMR with young (intermediate) kids. Ideally you could ski PCMR the first day, maybe Canyons the next, then pick your favorite for the last day(s). Please also note that my opinion is based on the tolerance my kids would have had at that age for tracking around the Canyons, needing to pee and wanting to eat. Now that they are teens/tweens and seek out the trees, bumps and steeps, we would go to the Canyons.

The transit system is great, but I would always get a rental for convenience. A FWD midsize if fine for Park City.
Edited by MrGolfAnalogy - 10/14/14 at 5:57pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

Yes, the town of Park City is much better than the Canyons area.  Main Street, etc. is pretty nice.  It would be very easy to stay right near the base of PCMR and then take a shuttle bus over Canyons for a day or two.  The transit system is really great.

 

I definitely agree that the town of Park City is more fun, but a 5- and 6-year-old likely aren't going to appreciate it, and you'll have to keep a closer eye on them along main street. Getting something ski-in ski-out at Canyons strikes me as the way to go this trip, then enjoy downtown Park City when they're a bit older.

post #15 of 17

I agree with MrGolfanalogy about skiing the Canyons.  Not my favorite but his suggestions to ski both and then pick favorite is the way to go.  The transit system is very so you wouldn't need a car.

post #16 of 17
Quote:
Personally, I would recommend renting a car and staying wherever in PC area.

I always recommend this in Utah.  During the holidays in slow starting seasons Park City and especially Canyons can be dependent upon man-made snow.  You'll want to have the car to go around to Brighton or Solitude (both quite family friendly IMHO) in that scenario. 

 

I agree with posts above that town of Park City is a more desirable place to be based when not skiing, but that Canyons has more ski-in ski-out lodging.  Given the early season snow risk (worse at Canyons), I'd lean toward Park City.

post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

I always recommend this in Utah.  During the holidays in slow starting seasons Park City and especially Canyons can be dependent upon man-made snow.  You'll want to have the car to go around to Brighton or Solitude (both quite family friendly IMHO) in that scenario. 

 

I agree with posts above that town of Park City is a more desirable place to be based when not skiing, but that Canyons has more ski-in ski-out lodging.  Given the early season snow risk (worse at Canyons), I'd lean toward Park City.

Good point. This year the only time we can go away as a family is Christmas week so we looked for resorts with a better early season snowfall track record. Hopefully, you will have some big dumps in Park City but if you don't you can always get in your car and hit some of the resorts that might have more snow. I am far less knowledgeable on Utah then others on here but I have learned from experience to keep my options open on where to ski each day when I'm in Utah.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Utah: Canyons vs Park City family trip