or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2014-2015 Pacific Northwest Weather Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014-2015 Pacific Northwest Weather Discussion thread - Page 24  

post #691 of 705
Should we have a new thread for each season or have no year in the title at all and keep using the same thread?
post #692 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

Nice catch Pete. Hi Jacques. Hope to ski with both you this coming season. Hot as hell in Hermiston, Or. I am getting some powder too.
 

You guys should try to set up a local gathering out there next season.  If I ever get to ski with Jaques I hope it is cold enough to rock my fart bag.  I'm not even kidding about that. 


Bring it!  There's a fartbag for every weather condition!   I pray for a better winter snowfall in the PNW.  Still had a good season this past with 120 something days.  Still working on getting a video person to shoot me.  Looks good for next season if we have any snow!   For now this is going to have to do!

post #693 of 705
This space reserved for Powder skiing.
post #694 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Of course the insiders have had a year to get used to it.    The title is there to frustrate the arrivistes so they're at least on something approaching a similar level.     It's almost a service to communication and emotional parity, no?

 

I don't even know what some of this means. "Emotional parity?" But in theory, we encourage "arrivistes," yes? Unless we are aiming for a wink-wink-nudge-nudge we-are-the-cool-insiders site. TGR already has us beat hollow there. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Should we have a new thread for each season or have no year in the title at all and keep using the same thread?

I guess we could split the threads, but honestly how many are going to remain vested in blather about snow from years past? IMO, the simplest solution is to update the title each season to reflect that the more recent posts are in fact about what's happening this coming season. Not rocket science, just keeping the title from being misleading. :dunno 

post #695 of 705

Well that at least should be mostly self-evident, in that the opposite is easy to point out.    An example of emotional disparity would be someone waiting in a long, long line on the main road - then being obliged to merge one each with cars merging from the uncrowded side road. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 
 

I don't even know what some of this means. "Emotional parity?" 

post #696 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

Of course the insiders have had a year to get used to it.    The title is there to frustrate the arrivistes so they're at least on something approaching a similar level.     It's almost a service to communication and emotional parity, no?

I don't even know what some of this means. "Emotional parity?" But in theory, we encourage "arrivistes," yes? Unless we are aiming for a wink-wink-nudge-nudge we-are-the-cool-insiders site. TGR already has us beat hollow there. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Should we have a new thread for each season or have no year in the title at all and keep using the same thread?
I guess we could split the threads, but honestly how many are going to remain vested in blather about snow from years past? IMO, the simplest solution is to update the title each season to reflect that the more recent posts are in fact about what's happening this coming season. Not rocket science, just keeping the title from being misleading. th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif 

Well, why not just remove the date from the title?
post #697 of 705

New Snow, new Season

 

Sort like this one here ....

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/141994/2015-16-colorado-weather-discussion#post_1895810

 

Snow in July, so that's where everything went too

post #698 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
 

OP or Moderator: Might be appropriate to update the titles of the various threads devoted to 14-15 weather. Since we're now onto 15-16, y'see....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Should we have a new thread for each season or have no year in the title at all and keep using the same thread?

 

Either way can work.  Most of the other regional threads are new each year, with the date noted in the title.  I think it may be easier for a newbie or lurker to get involved in a thread for one season instead of diving into a thread that has 20, 30, 40+ pages.  As a Mod who tries to look out for newbies, a new thread for each season is what I recommend.
 
If someone starts a 2015-16 thread, it's possible to move relevant threads from this thread and then lock it after a post that references the new thread.  Does not need to be the same OP.  That's been done for the Mid-A regional thread.
post #699 of 705

Another thing to consider is there are often threads with "weather discussion" in the title, and threads with "stoke" or "news, information, etc" in the title, both for a given year and they will overlap with pretty much the same information.  

 

One PNW thread to rule them all…….

post #700 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by near nyquist View Post

New Snow, new Season

Sort like this one here ....

http://www.epicski.com/t/141994/2015-16-colorado-weather-discussion#post_1895810

Snow in July, so that's where everything went too

That's the defacto rule. Once new snow is documented, then a new thread should be started, any remaining snow is now "base", and the prior year is now history wink.gif.
post #701 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post
 

Another thing to consider is there are often threads with "weather discussion" in the title, and threads with "stoke" or "news, information, etc" in the title, both for a given year and they will overlap with pretty much the same information.  

 

One PNW thread to rule them all…….


If you start up a PNW 2015-16 thread now, doubt there would be another started in the fall.  I do think it's good to spell out "Pacific Northwest."  Go for it and I'll take care of locking this one.

post #702 of 705
Quote:

Originally Posted by marznc View Post

 

I do think it's good to spell out "Pacific Northwest."

Kind of like people always spelling out Salt Lake City instead of using SLC?

post #703 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marznc View Post

 

I do think it's good to spell out "Pacific Northwest."

Kind of like people always spelling out Salt Lake City instead of using SLC?


Couldn't care less how people abbreviate stuff in posts.  I prefer thread titles for regional threads that are as obvious as possible for newbies and lurkers who don't live in that area but might visit.  The Mid-Atlantic thread title includes a list of states and doesn't say "Mid-A."

post #704 of 705
post #705 of 705


Well done!  2014-15 locked.  On to next season. :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2014-2015 Pacific Northwest Weather Discussion thread