or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › Mt Abram, Maine to install large solar panel array
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mt Abram, Maine to install large solar panel array

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm please to announce that MRA's prototype Mountain Playground is installing a large solar array to offset roughly 70% of their annual energy consumption. 

 

Solar Switch on for Maine Ski Area

 

Mod note: moved with permission of the Thread Starter

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

Here's an article describing the financial model used to purchase the solar panel project

 

Would you like solar panels on your home hill? Here's how

 

Teton Gravity Research, December 23, 2014 

 

 

post #3 of 12

I wonder how much less those solar cells produce in Maine than they would in my Socal desert. The transmission inefficiency might be offset by the higher insolation from the desert sun. It takes a lot of energy to create a solar cell - this should be used wisely.

 

Still, having personal control of your energy may be quite valuable. And the PR for your resort, priceless.

 

Eric

post #4 of 12

How efficient are the solar panels on a dull cloudy winter day and who and how do they shovel snow off the panels?

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

 who and how do they shovel snow off the panels?

The same way they shovel snow off the chairs?

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
 

The same way they shovel snow off the chairs?

 

I guess I'm just skeptical of a large capital investment in a part time system.

post #7 of 12

Of course other energy systems require constant, repeated capital investment around the clock - I think some folks forget that part.

 

Solar cells are efficient enough that they're a no-brainer more often than not these days.

post #8 of 12

I just want to chime in here and say that I think this is extremely cool. In particular I love the way that this direction seems to be part of a successful strategy to attract a target audience and make a small area a going concern. We get a lot of "woe is me" type comments here about the fate of the mom-and-pop area, the fate of grass roots skiing, how expensive it is to raise a skiing family, etc. Okay, here is your chance to put your money where your mouth is and ski at a place with some really fun terrain that is not over-groomed, won't cost you an arm and a leg, and typically has a crowd about as big and about as friendly as a good-sized neighborhood block party. When I can't or don't want to make the long drive to Saddelback, this place is my go-to choice on a powder day.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

Of course other energy systems require constant, repeated capital investment around the clock - I think some folks forget that part.

 

Solar cells are efficient enough that they're a no-brainer more often than not these days.

 

I guess some folks also forget that solar projects like this are feasible due to governments (read taxpayers) subsidizing 70% of the capital coasts for a system that only produces electricity when the sun shines. Not all that efficient, really.

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

I just want to chime in here and say that I think this is extremely cool. In particular I love the way that this direction seems to be part of a successful strategy to attract a target audience and make a small area a going concern. We get a lot of "woe is me" type comments here about the fate of the mom-and-pop area, the fate of grass roots skiing, how expensive it is to raise a skiing family, etc. Okay, here is your chance to put your money where your mouth is and ski at a place with some really fun terrain that is not over-groomed, won't cost you an arm and a leg, and typically has a crowd about as big and about as friendly as a good-sized neighborhood block party. When I can't or don't want to make the long drive to Saddelback, this place is my go-to choice on a powder day.

 

Thank you for that astute observation. 

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

 

I guess some folks also forget that solar projects like this are feasible due to governments (read taxpayers) subsidizing 70% of the capital coasts for a system that only produces electricity when the sun shines. Not all that efficient, really.

 

You think all of those other power sources weren't subsidized by the government as well?

post #12 of 12
We dove by a couple of small solar farms in VT yesterday. Each was a group of about 5 to 10 panels. Each panel was about 20 by 20 feet, on a central motorized pillar that keeps it pointed at the Sun. I'd never seen movable ones before.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Skiing News
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › Mt Abram, Maine to install large solar panel array