or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Looking for Colorado Resort Experts!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for Colorado Resort Experts!

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

So I just got done developing a mobile application called SkiGenius. It is an app that helps people navigate ski resorts better. Think Yelp or Pandora but for ski trails. I reached out to a few ambassadors individually but wanted to post something here as well.

 

Now comes the hard part, I need help to populate this puppy with solid information from local experts. I'm not looking for people to give away their hidden powder stashes. I'm looking for people to give me solid insight on the best and worst of each resort, best cruisers, bumps, trees all that good stuff. Wheres the best place for an intermediate or beginner skier? Where should I take my kids?

 

I live in Denver and am very flexible in regards to my schedule. I am looking to gather a few people for each resort here in Colorado as skiGenius ambassadors.

 

What will you guys get in return?

Well first and foremost this will be an awesome opportunity to share your unique knowledge to help grow this amazing sport. I think sometimes big resorts can be intimidating and I want to make it easier for newbies and advanced alike to get more enjoyment out of their ski vacations and keep on skiing in the future. I will also happily buy beers and snacks for our "focus groups" both on and off the mountain throughout the season.

 

If this sounds like something you would be interested shoot me a PM here or e-mail me at matt@skigeni.us

 

Lets make skiing as approachable as possible to outsiders and help those in the sport get a little bit more out of resorts than they already are.

 

Thanks guys, hope to hear from some people :)

post #2 of 29

Where's the best for X or Y or Z?

 

It depends on the day.

post #3 of 29

Sometimes I have a lot of trouble controlling myself - in this case I've succeeded.

post #4 of 29
This is an Android? IPhone? App?

Thoughts. The meat of the app would be the content, not the container. What kind of money is in this for the contributer? After all, this stuff requires true effort to create, and more effort year after year to maintain. Second. Given that OnTheSnow has its own app, and we're (Epic Ski) part of that family, why would we start sharing our content with you? Of course, we're not getting paid here, either, but we've got a community we feel loyal to. We "get back" from our efforts here.

Since I'm not in Colorado, this doesn't affect me, but I feel like it's a bit much to come here asking for help in developing your tool. Sort of like all those students coming here for help with their homework.
post #5 of 29
Google "Andy's ski and ride guide" + any resort name. Then be sure to pay "Andy".
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 

This is an iPhone app. Not looking to take up hours of anyone's time to "fill this up". Just looking to grab some beers and food with a couple people pick their brain for a few hours a month. I don't think thats anything to crazy to ask :)

post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 

Im sorry if I offended anyone, that definitly was not the hope. And let me address a couple things:

 

"This is an Android? IPhone? App?"

-This is currently an iPhone app, will be migrated to Android by mid season.

 

"Where's the best for X or Y or Z? It depends on the day."

-True, but for the most part runs stay consistent in terms of if they are great tree runs, groomers, or bump runs.

 

"After all, this stuff requires true effort to create, and more effort year after year to maintain."

-Not looking for someone to maintain or create some huge database, just looking to buy some food and drinks for people and pick their brain. Would also love to ski around with them at a resort for a few days.

 

"Given that OnTheSnow has its own app, and we're (Epic Ski) part of that family, why would we start sharing our content with you?"

My tool is not a competitor of EpicSki or OnTheSnow, they do not offer what im hoping to provide to skiers. Sure EpicSki offers "guides" but I am offering a more holistic tool. This app will pull data from OpenSnow API, current weather, the time of day, the current grooming report, past likes, and other expert recomendations. This is not simply an online "guide" and as a matter of fact the content will be free for users no matter what.

 

"Of course, we're not getting paid here, either, but we've got a community we feel loyal to. We "get back" from our efforts here."

Thats fine and I respect that. However I think its important to understand that the community here on EpicSki is a very small minority of all skiers as a whole. I am hoping to reach out to those people who don't access EpicSki, or dont really use internet forums in general. Or want the information in a more easy to use manner.

 

 

"I feel like it's a bit much to come here asking for help in developing your tool. Sort of like all those students coming here for help with their homework."

I'm not asking for anything extreme, just some time to buy some skiers some beers and food and talk to them. Also just looking to ski with some people. If i am out of line in asking that then im not sure what to say.

 

post #8 of 29

Now that sibhusky's broken the ice, I've had dinner and I'm no longer grouchy, I feel like I'm ready to respond to your request:

 

I'm pretty new here too; I've asked a lot of questions, received a ton of well thought out advice on a whole raft of subjects and marveled at the lack of sarcastic, snarky answers one usually expects on an open forum like this.  I'm very good at sarcastic snarky banter and it grieves me to forgo such a valuable skill but it's worth it to preserve the Epic experience for everybody. So along the way I've tried not to press my luck with too many questions, pitch in with my limited experience when appropriate and at least attempt to be entertaining if not informative.

 

Speaking personally, I think you have a ways to go before you can have the expectation of a free "population" for your "puppy".

post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
 

Now that sibhusky's broken the ice, I've had dinner and I'm no longer grouchy, I feel like I'm ready to respond to your request:

 

I'm pretty new here too; I've asked a lot of questions, received a ton of well thought out advice on a whole raft of subjects and marveled at the lack of sarcastic, snarky answers one usually expects on an open forum like this.  I'm very good at sarcastic snarky banter and it grieves me to forgo such a valuable skill but it's worth it to preserve the Epic experience for everybody. So along the way I've tried not to press my luck with too many questions, pitch in with my limited experience when appropriate and at least attempt to be entertaining if not informative.

 

Speaking personally, I think you have a ways to go before you can have the expectation of a free "population" for your "puppy".

 

Thats fine. But personally if somebody offered to take me out for beers and food and just talk skiing at a resort that I love, I would be up for it in a hearbeat. Maybe thats just me though.

post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 

I'm not really sure where all the negativity is coming from my post but let me just put this out there. If you ski a lot here in colorado, and want to meet up and chat about your favorite resort on or off the mountain, then lets set something up. Nothing more, not looking for a long term commitment or something crazy, just a small amount of your time to chat about skiing here in Colorado. Hope that sounds appealing to someone :)

post #11 of 29

The problem is not really the free advice it's the fact that you've crossed the line from "shameless self promotion" (an internet phenomena that is at least acceptable in most forums) to "become an integral part of my new product / service" for free!" (snacks notwithstanding). 

 

Maybe I'm too old to understand why this should interest me or anyone else. Let's see where this goes, I'm always looking for an education.

post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
 

The problem is not really the free advice it's the fact that you've crossed the line from "shameless self promotion" (an internet phenomena that is at least acceptable in most forums) to "become an integral part of my new product / service" for free!" (snacks notwithstanding). 

 

Maybe I'm too old to understand why this should interest me or anyone else. Let's see where this goes, I'm always looking for an education.

The same reason people post reviews on amazon, or yelp, or give guides to epic snow on this website. Its nice to share your knowledge and experience with people, regardless of what you get in return. I could write the guides and the ranking algorithm myself for about 5 of the front range resorts, but then its just my opinion right? I am hoping to get a broad range of opinions from people of all levels to really make this meaningful to everyone.

 

If that doesn't sound appealing to you thats fine, perhaps it does to others. 

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4doyle View Post
 

I'm not really sure where all the negativity is coming from my post but let me just put this out there. If you ski a lot here in colorado, and want to meet up and chat about your favorite resort on or off the mountain, then lets set something up. Nothing more, not looking for a long term commitment or something crazy, just a small amount of your time to chat about skiing here in Colorado. Hope that sounds appealing to someone :)


The reluctance probably comes from the fact that you are not the first (or the second or the third) person to bring something like this up.  Usually, people here just are thinking (if not saying), "do a search on the site and you'll find everything you need." 

 

Also: beer & snacks for us for content (and money) for your app for you is not likely to be perceived as equal.  

post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 

I appreciate everyone's honest point of view. Sorry to offend people. Disregard my post :)

post #15 of 29

A few years ago I found myself visiting Colorado and skiing on a 7 day Vail Resorts Epic Pass. My first day was at Keystone were I came across a very active seniors group organizing free guided ski tours divided into groups by ability level. They do this at a different resort on different days so I skied with them again at A-Basin. I also went to their once a week pot luck dinner at the Seniors Centre in Dillon (I think).

 

I would suggest that the OP get in touch with this very friendly on the snow Colorado group.

post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

A few years ago I found myself visiting Colorado and skiing on a 7 day Vail Resorts Epic Pass. My first day was at Keystone were I came across a very active seniors group organizing free guided ski tours divided into groups by ability level. They do this at a different resort on different days so I skied with them again at A-Basin. I also went to their once a week pot luck dinner at the Seniors Centre in Dillon (I think).

 

I would suggest that the OP get in touch with this very friendly on the snow Colorado group.

Awesome! Thanks so much. Do you know the name of the group?

post #17 of 29
I don't see anyone getting rich from this app. I think the poor reception hasn't been warranted. For heavens sake take the guy out for some runs and let him buy you lunch!

I'd like to help but I've only gone to CO once. If you get this thing off the ground, I'd be happy to take a look for my upcoming trip this winter.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4doyle View Post
 

Awesome! Thanks so much. Do you know the name of the group?

No, I don't know the group/s name, but i would start with finding the Senior's Centre which might or might not be in Dillon.

post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

I don't see anyone getting rich from this app. I think the poor reception hasn't been warranted. For heavens sake take the guy out for some runs and let him buy you lunch!

I'd like to help but I've only gone to CO once. If you get this thing off the ground, I'd be happy to take a look for my upcoming trip this winter.

 

Thanks a lot!

post #20 of 29

I'm not so sure why everyone is so negative either.  Even the college students trying to get research done doesn't bother me.  I choose to not participate and ignore them.  Everyone who knows me knows I love free food and beer.  When you are ready to do JHMR I will take you up on it if my schedule allows.

post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

I'm not so sure why everyone is so negative either.  Even the college students trying to get research done doesn't bother me.  I choose to not participate and ignore them.  Everyone who knows me knows I love free food and beer.  When you are ready to do JHMR I will take you up on it if my schedule allows.

I'll definitly take you up on that ! 

post #22 of 29
OK, now I get your other thread...

I think there is a fair bit of competition already in the market for what you are considering. Claim My Run comes to mind-user uploaded video searchable off of a trail map interface that allows people to check out specific lines, with users voting on the best quality video. When I hear of an interesting run/line that I am not familiar with, CMR is usually my first stop.

Of course, this board is competition, as members of this board have created in depth guides for most major resorts and plenty of little ones too. I should note that guide content is copyrighted and you need to ask permission from the content creator to use this as a basis for another product. Ditto for posts...

I like reading how other people ski resorts, and geek out on this kind of thing. That's why I created my guide. I've been approached by others asking to use my content and have evaluated those on a case by case basis.

If you find your way down here, I have no problems meeting you for a few runs and/or a beer (which goes for most board members). I can steer you in the right direction and we can see whether it makes sense to grant you permission to use guide content.
post #23 of 29
post #24 of 29

"All your content are belong to us"

post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

Well, you can probably rule out competing with any of the Vail resorts.

 

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/vail-resorts-re-imagines-skiers-and-snowboarders-experience-with-epic-mix-guide.htm

 

If anything, this validates that this is a solid idea :)

post #26 of 29

Check out the iPhone app SlopeTours.  Awesome tours on this app.

post #27 of 29

I'm only here for the snark.

 

OK, seriously. Loveland; no village, dirt parking lot, very little shopping. 

The end.

 

Stay tuned for my sequel; Meh resorts of the Front Range.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Skull View Post
 

I'm only here for the snark.

 

OK, seriously. Loveland; no village, dirt parking lot, very little shopping. 

The end.

 

Stay tuned for my sequel; Meh resorts of the Front Range.


A DIRT parking lot!!?  Oh, the humanity!

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
 


A DIRT parking lot!!?  Oh, the humanity!

I actually see this as a plus. How else is anyone riding in my car in July supposed to know I skied 81 days at Loveland last season, if not by the sandbox on my floorboards?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Looking for Colorado Resort Experts!