or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › HELP! Skiing without a car [while in college]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP! Skiing without a car [while in college]

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I'm looking for some advice on skiing without a car. In about a year, I'll be heading off to college, where I won't have a car. Do you guys know how I can keep skiing during college? I've looked up some ski bus services, but it seems like none of them pick up anywhere near any college campuses, and I don't want to walk a mile with all my gear at 4:00 in the morning through downtown. Any good suggestions and ideas?

post #2 of 13
Well, step 1 is where are you going to school?
Some suggestions off the top of my head:
-Find out if your school has a ski club, if it doesn't, start one.
-see if campus recreation or residence life organizes trips
-Meet people, post on your schools facebook page and find other kids who ski and have cars
-rent a zip car
post #3 of 13
Bozeman
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymack View Post

Well, step 1 is where are you going to school?
Some suggestions off the top of my head:
-Find out if your school has a ski club, if it doesn't, start one.
-see if campus recreation or residence life organizes trips
-Meet people, post on your schools facebook page and find other kids who ski and have cars
-rent a zip car


Pretty much this.

post #5 of 13
And if you haven't picked a school yet, it's not unreasonable to ask about skiing when you go on school tours or meet with school reps. It shouldn't be a top requirement but if you are serious about skiing, there are plenty of very good schools close to skiing that it can be a consideration. Some schools that are particularly close to skiing negotiate special rates for their students beyond the regular college student rates and may even run regular shuttles to the mountain.
post #6 of 13

The info may be a little dated but this is an EpicSki Article about colleges for those wanting to ski . . . when not studying. ;)

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/college-and-skiing

post #7 of 13
post #8 of 13

Western State College (Gunnison) has a free shuttle that runs up the road to Crested Butte. You could do worse.

 

Edit- check out recent Crested Butte threads on this board. I know we have at least one guy on here that did exactly this for skiing all Winter.  It seems like he had a good experience.


Edited by anachronism - 9/22/14 at 9:31am
post #9 of 13

At Western Washington University there is a bus that goes to Mt. Baker from the Student Union building.  WWU is consistently rated highly among small western universities.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

Western State College (Gunnison) has a free shuttle that runs up the road to Crested Butte. You could do worse.

 

Worse, as in riding the RTD bus from Boulder to Eldora :rolleyes  It's better than nothing, but Eldora sucks more days than not (for Colorado).  Fortunately, there's no shortage of CU students with cars to drive to better skiing, and there is an active ski club that runs occasional trips.  

http://boulderfreeride.org/

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

 

Worse, as in riding the RTD bus from Boulder to Eldora :rolleyes  It's better than nothing, but Eldora sucks more days than not (for Colorado).  Fortunately, there's no shortage of CU students with cars to drive to better skiing, and there is an active ski club that runs occasional trips.

http://boulderfreeride.org/

 

For some reason I am reminded of the guy that came in here to post his horror at college students skiing stoned at Eldora- reefer madness revisited. I can't find the post, though...

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm still a little ways off until college, so I don't know what school I'm going to yet. I don't know how I'm going to keep skiing yet, just that I WILL keep skiing.

post #13 of 13
All about school choice, then. Don't know if you're east or West. UVM, St. Mike's, Champlain in VT, no problem skiing from there. Out West, CU is well known for skiing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › HELP! Skiing without a car [while in college]