or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Car Roof Box vs. roof rack vs. ski inside the car
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Car Roof Box vs. roof rack vs. ski inside the car - Page 4

post #91 of 122

Inside the ski bag, inside the car. 

Not putting a thousand bucks worth of equipment on top of the car. I have to drive at least 625 miles to the nearest ski resort. Too many variables outside the car for that long of trip (ten times a season).

post #92 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 


Put a lace hook or a webbing arch strap on them and they can sort of work as mud/ deep snow gaiters. 
roflmao.gif  

One dry clean leg, one dirt cold muddy leg.....Nice.

What, you claim to only have purchased *one* binding cover back in the day?   I misbelieve you, sir.      biggrin.gif


In any case you're welcome to a few of mine.
I've got a few your welcome to. A little duct tape and you'll be good to go.
post #93 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post


it came on the car?

Honestly I would sell it.

post #94 of 122

Thanks cantunamunch and slider,

 

But the wife will kill me bringing more stuff into the house, gotta be selective and bring in the good stuff like more skis ;)

post #95 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post

Thanks cantunamunch and slider,

But the wife will kill me bringing more stuff into the house, gotta be selective and bring in the good stuff like more skis wink.gif
I know your right. What's with that anyway.:-)
post #96 of 122
So who's done this? I've seen someone carry their skis on the back perpendicular to the bike on Loveland pass before, not sure if that's even legal.


post #97 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post


I know your right. What's with that anyway.:-)


That's and easy answer....leaves more room for her shoes and clothes :eek.

post #98 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post
 

Our rack is lockable and I don't think that roof box lock is any sturdier than a rack lock.  

 

Thieves take bigger risks when they know there is a payoff.  Can't tell if there are or are not skis inside a locked ski box.  I've known more than one person that had a ski rack torn off the roof of their car with the skis still in it while traveling.  Only takes about 2 minutes or less to tear off a rack and throw it in the back of a pick up truck and speed off.  Skis covered with bags is safer, unless the skis are obviously old, low value skis.  But, when all that can be seen is the box itself the temptation to steal is much lower.  And, the damage to the car from tearing the rack off far exceeds the value of the skis and rack.

post #99 of 122
Thread Starter 

talking about thieves, I got an impression that it is safer to leave your skis at home, don't use racks, box, bags.

Rent skis at the resort or even safer... stay at home

:D:irony:

post #100 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post
 

Thanks cantunamunch and slider,

 

But the wife will kill me bringing more stuff into the house, gotta be selective and bring in the good stuff like more skis ;)


You got that right!  Just before our recent move she complained I had 20 pairs of skis(mostly old school straight skis) :jedi:

I got rid of 12 pairs. Still have too many! 

post #101 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdskier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post

 
Thanks cantunamunch and slider,

But the wife will kill me bringing more stuff into the house, gotta be selective and bring in the good stuff like more skis wink.gif


You got that right!  Just before our recent move she complained I had 20 pairs of skis(mostly old school straight skis) jk.gif
I got rid of 12 pairs. Still have too many! 
Someone👰told me once-You can only ski on "1" pair @ a time. So I have out foxed her. I just get them for free. Hahahaha.
post #102 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

 

Thieves take bigger risks when they know there is a payoff.  Can't tell if there are or are not skis inside a locked ski box.  I've known more than one person that had a ski rack torn off the roof of their car with the skis still in it while traveling.  Only takes about 2 minutes or less to tear off a rack and throw it in the back of a pick up truck and speed off.  Skis covered with bags is safer, unless the skis are obviously old, low value skis.  But, when all that can be seen is the box itself the temptation to steal is much lower.  And, the damage to the car from tearing the rack off far exceeds the value of the skis and rack.

All true.  On the other hand, I think a locked rack is a sufficient deterrent.  I left my fancy skis on a locked ski rack at Squaw for most of the day on many occasions, and never had an issue.  Not that it helps, but I am sure that parking lot is also under 24hr video surveillance.  I had any of the 4-figure skis I would probably have thought differently.  But still, the fact that a ski box would not fit into the garage is a deal-breaker for us. As always YMMV.

post #103 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-bird View Post
 

Inside the ski bag, inside the car. 

Not putting a thousand bucks worth of equipment on top of the car. I have to drive at least 625 miles to the nearest ski resort. Too many variables outside the car for that long of trip (ten times a season).

Honestly, that's the best way, no argument.  However, that assumes that you have enough space in the car.  I value the security of my gear way less than happiness of my kids and for 625 miles journey with 5-6-7 people in the car the skis better go on the rooftop.  When I am by myself, or have 2 people, skis go inside in the bag, not necessarily for security, but for less noise.  

 

It's also funny how we obsess over the security of the skis on the rack, but meekly give them to an airline where they for sure will be tossed around.  We also don't think twice about jamming the tip into an icy mogul or having then run over in the lift line, but obsess with skis touching one another in the car.  Skis are tough, and to some degree expendable.  I understand taking care of your race skis, but your regular daily free ride planks- they can take some rough handling.  

post #104 of 122

Having learned something from this thread, it has gotten old the brain thinking.

 

The biggest box that you can get to hold as many skis as you can....one for her car, one for yours.  That way the wife doesn't know you have more new skis. :yahoo: 

post #105 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post
 

Having learned something from this thread, it has gotten old the brain thinking.

 

The biggest box that you can get to hold as many skis as you can....one for her car, one for yours.  That way the wife doesn't know you have more new skis. :yahoo: 


Doubles as a guest room when the in-laws visit too.:D

post #106 of 122

My ski box is full of fishing gear and camp chairs in the off season..

post #107 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg S View Post
 

I was thinking about this one

http://www.avidmaxoutfitters.com/p-8370-rossignol-r-binding-cover.aspx?CAWELAID=130003200000059669&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CPqUoZWC4sACFYqEfgodeRQA-Q

 

do you think this is a waste of money?

 

( I don't often use a roof rack, probably 3+4 per season, the rest skis are inside the bus).


I use the binding bag that you show here and found it works well.

post #108 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg S View Post
 

I was thinking about this one

http://www.avidmaxoutfitters.com/p-8370-rossignol-r-binding-cover.aspx?CAWELAID=130003200000059669&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CPqUoZWC4sACFYqEfgodeRQA-Q

 

do you think this is a waste of money?

 

( I don't often use a roof rack, probably 3+4 per season, the rest skis are inside the bus).


I use the binding bag that you show here and found it works well.

 

This is the type of binding cover slider and I were talking of further up the thread.   If you would like more like it, do let know.

post #109 of 122

Pick-up truck, with cap. Rubber bed liner. Skis inside.

 

The perfect, but expensive, solution.

 

But, hey, I'm a homeowner. I don't know how I could live without a pick-up truck.

post #110 of 122

So, I throw my skis inside most of the time, since I ski by myself more often than not. I've got open racks, which I use when I've got passengers.

 

I also use my racks when taking backcountry hitchhikers back up here...

 

post #111 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post
 

 

You should up your stunts by driving with skis in a convertible.  If you survive that trip, buy lottery tickets immediately as you must be the luckiest person alive.

Done it. Do it. Regularly.

 

2007 MINI Cooper S Convertible

 

But I bag them and belt them.

post #112 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallthus View Post
 

Done it. Do it. Regularly.

 

2007 MINI Cooper S Convertible

 

But I bag them and belt them.

 

2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback here.

Slide 'em through hatch door, then secure 'em = no problem.

The ski bag reaches as far as the dashboard and gets to sit right on the gear shift handle, but I have an automatic, so I dont care.

post #113 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladSki View Post
 

 

2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback here.

Slide 'em through hatch door, then secure 'em = no problem.

The ski bag reaches as far as the dashboard and gets to sit right on the gear shift handle, but I have an automatic, so I dont care.

 

That would work with mine if I had shorter skis. Of course, the fact that mine's a manual and an R52 (which is 3" shorter than your R56) conspire to make that more of a challenge. So the passenger seat folds down and the skis recline.

post #114 of 122

i want to buy a thule boxer 611 or the force or sonic alpine sized boxes..if you have one or know where i can find a used one please pm me

post #115 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerpow View Post

i want to buy a thule boxer 611 or the force or sonic alpine sized boxes..if you have one or know where i can find a used one please pm me

those things are hard to find used, your best bet is probably the 20% off coupled with a 10% or so cash back
post #116 of 122

Bringing up this old thread.

 

I got a verrrrry long, old school RocketBox for free (minus cost of new mounting hardware), so I'm set on my decision to use it. My question is, my skis are about as tall as I am, and the box is easily 1.5 or 2 feet longer than I am tall. How do I secure everything in there to prevent the skis from sliding front to back and slamming into the ends of the box?

post #117 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohns716 View Post
 

Bringing up this old thread.

 

I got a verrrrry long, old school RocketBox for free (minus cost of new mounting hardware), so I'm set on my decision to use it. My question is, my skis are about as tall as I am, and the box is easily 1.5 or 2 feet longer than I am tall. How do I secure everything in there to prevent the skis from sliding front to back and slamming into the ends of the box?

 

What's wrong with letting them slide? They won't get any more beat up that what skiing will do to them. My skis are more likely to roll side-to-side than slide forward. It would take a panic stop for them to slide forward.

 

If it does matter to you then you could line the bottom of the box with a rubber mat (like a yoga mat or rubber car floor mats) and that will help them stick. 

post #118 of 122

My box has straps. I also use towels to wedge the skis so they do not move around and rattle. Closed cell foam works well also.

post #119 of 122
No straps in the box? Been standard in all boxes I have seen, including my packline.
post #120 of 122

It is trivial to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsson View Post

No straps in the box? Been standard in all boxes I have seen, including my packline.

 

It's also pretty easy to add anchor points if they don't exist already.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Car Roof Box vs. roof rack vs. ski inside the car