- 15,051 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Location: Whitefish
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemStowetagged by marznc, 9/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT TO JOIN THE VAIL RESORTS FAMILY Last post on 3/8/17 at 2:59pm in Skiing News
- Can Stowe in Vermont Attract The Skiing Jet Set? Last post on 1/29/17 at 9:34pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Looking to go to Stowe this year, where are the discounted lift tickets??? Last post on 1/24/17 at 11:26am in General Skiing Discussion
- Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks Last post on 10/25/16 at 10:23am in General Skiing Discussion
- 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . Last post on Today at 4:31 pm in General Skiing Discussion
A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
Last edited: 2/13/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 12/1/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15] - Page 2post #31 of 3712/22/14 at 8:18amIs it Stowe's own land or government?post #32 of 3712/22/14 at 8:26am
It's the government's land, owned by the state of Vermont (I believe) as opposed to the Feds. Stowe is officially forbidden from going in there to clean out the damage except for "official" trails (Midway and Goat itself).
Goat Woods was never officially on the trail map; it was just a well known section of trees. After some highly visible and extensive "tree cutting" occurred on Vermont's Jay Peak a few years ago... whatever Vermont state agency owns / manages the forests has been highly vocal about their negative opinion of the glade skiing that occurs.post #33 of 3712/22/14 at 1:14pm
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.post #34 of 3712/22/14 at 1:18pm
I would be shocked if there aren't any serious injuries that occur in there this season. As a result maybe Stowe could claim that leaving the area be is a liability issue, which can either be answered:
1.) ok, go in and clean it up
2.) block it off better
I'm hoping they get some sort of grant, without having anyone injured, but the chances of that are slim to none.post #35 of 3712/22/14 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by crgildart
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.
Ropes aren't the only thing. They have miniscule "danger" signs nailed to a couple still-standing trees as well.
The obvious entrances from the Nosedive side are roped off. I didn't ski Goat itself, so I don't know what it looks like from that side, but I imagine it's just more ropes and danger signs. I'm surprised they didn't string up that orange safety netting stuff all along the boundaries of Goat Woods. Perhaps they have additional blockage / signage planned; it's not very often that the boundary areas in question are skiable this early in the year.
Like you said, I'm sure somebody is going to try to ski it... God only knows how search&rescue would get them out. I've heard various people discussing routes for getting around the damage.post #36 of 3712/22/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
NH's Mt Monadnock was set on fire by farmers trying to get rid of wolves. True story.
all of that 'above tree line' is from erosion after the fire.post #37 of 3712/22/14 at 2:25pmQuote:
Hadn't heard that before. I guess that's one way to get rid of your wolf population. Damn!
- Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15]
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 13 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 15 minutes ago
- › Skis, Old vs New 16 minutes ago
- › Inside leg issue and other concerns. 23 minutes ago
- › Ski Boots - size question 28 minutes ago
- › Fat-ypus E-Motions 38 minutes ago
- › Picture of the day... 55 minutes ago
- › The Season of Pow - China, Xinjiang Trip Report 58 minutes ago
- › Quick Question on Buying First Pair of Boots 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › How fast do you ski? 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › Okemo Mountain by TRobertson
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview