- 15,150 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Location: Whitefish
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemStowetagged by marznc, 9/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Stowe - This Weekend Last post on 3/29/17 at 4:55pm in General Skiing Discussion
- STOWE MOUNTAIN RESORT TO JOIN THE VAIL RESORTS FAMILY Last post on 3/8/17 at 2:59pm in Skiing News
- Can Stowe in Vermont Attract The Skiing Jet Set? Last post on 1/29/17 at 9:34pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Looking to go to Stowe this year, where are the discounted lift tickets??? Last post on 1/24/17 at 11:26am in General Skiing Discussion
- Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks Last post on 10/25/16 at 10:23am in General Skiing Discussion
A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
Last edited: 2/13/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 12/1/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15] - Page 2post #31 of 3712/22/14 at 8:18amIs it Stowe's own land or government?post #32 of 3712/22/14 at 8:26am
It's the government's land, owned by the state of Vermont (I believe) as opposed to the Feds. Stowe is officially forbidden from going in there to clean out the damage except for "official" trails (Midway and Goat itself).
Goat Woods was never officially on the trail map; it was just a well known section of trees. After some highly visible and extensive "tree cutting" occurred on Vermont's Jay Peak a few years ago... whatever Vermont state agency owns / manages the forests has been highly vocal about their negative opinion of the glade skiing that occurs.post #33 of 3712/22/14 at 1:14pm
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.post #34 of 3712/22/14 at 1:18pm
I would be shocked if there aren't any serious injuries that occur in there this season. As a result maybe Stowe could claim that leaving the area be is a liability issue, which can either be answered:
1.) ok, go in and clean it up
2.) block it off better
I'm hoping they get some sort of grant, without having anyone injured, but the chances of that are slim to none.post #35 of 3712/22/14 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by crgildart
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.
Ropes aren't the only thing. They have miniscule "danger" signs nailed to a couple still-standing trees as well.
The obvious entrances from the Nosedive side are roped off. I didn't ski Goat itself, so I don't know what it looks like from that side, but I imagine it's just more ropes and danger signs. I'm surprised they didn't string up that orange safety netting stuff all along the boundaries of Goat Woods. Perhaps they have additional blockage / signage planned; it's not very often that the boundary areas in question are skiable this early in the year.
Like you said, I'm sure somebody is going to try to ski it... God only knows how search&rescue would get them out. I've heard various people discussing routes for getting around the damage.post #36 of 3712/22/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
NH's Mt Monadnock was set on fire by farmers trying to get rid of wolves. True story.
all of that 'above tree line' is from erosion after the fire.post #37 of 3712/22/14 at 2:25pmQuote:
Hadn't heard that before. I guess that's one way to get rid of your wolf population. Damn!
- Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15]
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 2 minutes ago
- › Epic Badges For Sale 7 minutes ago
- › Jackson Hole compared/contrasted(not vs) to Whistler 47 minutes ago
- › My final thank you, good by and farewell VIDEO @ EpicSki - please... 58 minutes ago
- › 2016/17 PNW thread: news, weather, anecdotes, history, gossip and... 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › How much pu$$y have you crushed in a gondola? 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Death Bed Confessions 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Morton's Neuroma, solved 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › About my post in that other thread... 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review