- 14,645 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Location: Whitefish
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemStowetagged by marznc, 9/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks Last post on 10/25/16 at 10:23am in General Skiing Discussion
- 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . Last post on Yesterday at 6:59 pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Sugarbush--Any insider insight/Anything I should know--Also Stowe v Sugarbush--what are key... Last post on 8/1/16 at 5:18am in General Skiing Discussion
- Stowe or Sugarbush Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:14pm in General Skiing Discussion
- How to ski Paradise and Goat Last post on 2/24/16 at 8:42am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 12/1/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15] - Page 2post #31 of 3712/22/14 at 8:18amIs it Stowe's own land or government?post #32 of 3712/22/14 at 8:26am
It's the government's land, owned by the state of Vermont (I believe) as opposed to the Feds. Stowe is officially forbidden from going in there to clean out the damage except for "official" trails (Midway and Goat itself).
Goat Woods was never officially on the trail map; it was just a well known section of trees. After some highly visible and extensive "tree cutting" occurred on Vermont's Jay Peak a few years ago... whatever Vermont state agency owns / manages the forests has been highly vocal about their negative opinion of the glade skiing that occurs.post #33 of 3712/22/14 at 1:14pm
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.post #34 of 3712/22/14 at 1:18pm
I would be shocked if there aren't any serious injuries that occur in there this season. As a result maybe Stowe could claim that leaving the area be is a liability issue, which can either be answered:
1.) ok, go in and clean it up
2.) block it off better
I'm hoping they get some sort of grant, without having anyone injured, but the chances of that are slim to none.post #35 of 3712/22/14 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by crgildart
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.
Ropes aren't the only thing. They have miniscule "danger" signs nailed to a couple still-standing trees as well.
The obvious entrances from the Nosedive side are roped off. I didn't ski Goat itself, so I don't know what it looks like from that side, but I imagine it's just more ropes and danger signs. I'm surprised they didn't string up that orange safety netting stuff all along the boundaries of Goat Woods. Perhaps they have additional blockage / signage planned; it's not very often that the boundary areas in question are skiable this early in the year.
Like you said, I'm sure somebody is going to try to ski it... God only knows how search&rescue would get them out. I've heard various people discussing routes for getting around the damage.post #36 of 3712/22/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
NH's Mt Monadnock was set on fire by farmers trying to get rid of wolves. True story.
all of that 'above tree line' is from erosion after the fire.post #37 of 3712/22/14 at 2:25pmQuote:
Hadn't heard that before. I guess that's one way to get rid of your wolf population. Damn!
- Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15]
- Unofficial Guide to STOWE
- › Fischer Worldcup RC vs Dynastar Speed Course 67 10 minutes ago
- › Car Camping - Drying Gear (without power outlets) 13 minutes ago
- › Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ?? 37 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour ago
- › K2 Omni 5.5 - Should I switch, and to what? 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Jackets that fit over the helmet? Multisport too? (Vermont) 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › Best Ski Brand? 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › if you were to have just one pair of skis...which ones and why? 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › 2016: 1, 2, or 3 ski quiver? 2 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › The Barriers To Good Skiing 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues