- 14,502 Posts. Joined 7/2005
- Location: Whitefish
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemStowetagged by marznc, 9/7/14
Related Forum Threads
- Sugarbush--Any insider insight/Anything I should know--Also Stowe v Sugarbush--what are key... Last post on 8/1/16 at 5:18am in General Skiing Discussion
- Stowe or Sugarbush Last post on 2/22/16 at 6:14pm in General Skiing Discussion
- How to ski Paradise and Goat Last post on 2/24/16 at 8:42am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Stowe - Instructor recommendations needed [for MLK weekend - A Family Skiing thread] Last post on 1/12/16 at 5:50am in Family Skiing Discussions
- Any Stowe info to share Last post on 3/19/16 at 5:58pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Unofficial Guide to STOWELast edited: 6/20/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- Great Glades Almighty!Last edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15] - Page 2post #31 of 3712/22/14 at 8:18amIs it Stowe's own land or government?post #32 of 3712/22/14 at 8:26am
It's the government's land, owned by the state of Vermont (I believe) as opposed to the Feds. Stowe is officially forbidden from going in there to clean out the damage except for "official" trails (Midway and Goat itself).
Goat Woods was never officially on the trail map; it was just a well known section of trees. After some highly visible and extensive "tree cutting" occurred on Vermont's Jay Peak a few years ago... whatever Vermont state agency owns / manages the forests has been highly vocal about their negative opinion of the glade skiing that occurs.post #33 of 3712/22/14 at 1:14pm
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.post #34 of 3712/22/14 at 1:18pm
I would be shocked if there aren't any serious injuries that occur in there this season. As a result maybe Stowe could claim that leaving the area be is a liability issue, which can either be answered:
1.) ok, go in and clean it up
2.) block it off better
I'm hoping they get some sort of grant, without having anyone injured, but the chances of that are slim to none.post #35 of 3712/22/14 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by crgildart
If clearing out the obviously extremely dangerous timber is an absolute no no then I'm surprised that the area isn't blocked off better between the two headliner trails that feed those highly sought after glades. This is the east after all. Betting that there will be some carnage if a few ropes are the only thing that are blocking the path to chaos.
Ropes aren't the only thing. They have miniscule "danger" signs nailed to a couple still-standing trees as well.
The obvious entrances from the Nosedive side are roped off. I didn't ski Goat itself, so I don't know what it looks like from that side, but I imagine it's just more ropes and danger signs. I'm surprised they didn't string up that orange safety netting stuff all along the boundaries of Goat Woods. Perhaps they have additional blockage / signage planned; it's not very often that the boundary areas in question are skiable this early in the year.
Like you said, I'm sure somebody is going to try to ski it... God only knows how search&rescue would get them out. I've heard various people discussing routes for getting around the damage.post #36 of 3712/22/14 at 1:49pmQuote:
NH's Mt Monadnock was set on fire by farmers trying to get rid of wolves. True story.
all of that 'above tree line' is from erosion after the fire.post #37 of 3712/22/14 at 2:25pmQuote:
Hadn't heard that before. I guess that's one way to get rid of your wolf population. Damn!
- Stowe skiers, take note [terrain change effective 2014-15]
- Unofficial Guide to STOWE
- › FS - Nordica El Capo Skis - 185-cm 5 minutes ago
- › Seeing the whole picture 8 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 11 minutes ago
- › What Should our FEET FEEL? 13 minutes ago
- › Ski Pole length question? along with decision on what ones to buy 13 minutes ago
- › Terrain Based Instruction for Beginners - Is it new? Why is it... 26 minutes ago
- › Volkl V-Werks CODE UVO - how stiff? 48 minutes ago
- › Anybody wearing hip protection 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Travel Agent t that specializes in Europe 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer
- › 68 Days: A Story of Skiing's Life...