or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Can I trust Zeal's website on Automatic (Photochromic) Lenses?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I trust Zeal's website on Automatic (Photochromic) Lenses?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Has anyone used the Zeal Automatic/Photochromic lenses?

 

Does the view actually looks like their representation on this Zeal technology page?

http://www.zealoptics.com/technology/technology-goggles.html

 

I prefer my lenses pretty true to color (not a fan of bright orange/yellow tints) and just wanted to confirm that those pics are what I can expect to see. 

post #2 of 8

I have some Zeal photo-chromatic lenses that are about 3 years old and I wish they transition like the lenses on the website from sunny to snowy, but mine don't. Mine are on the darker side, so I use some Smith lenses on a cloudy or powder day.  I would say the color of the lens on the website matches mine on a sunny day.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

I have some Zeal photo-chromatic lenses that are about 3 years old and I wish they transition like the lenses on the website from sunny to snowy, but mine don't. Mine are on the darker side, so I use some Smith lenses on a cloudy or powder day.  I would say the color of the lens on the website matches mine on a sunny day.

 

That's interesting. I've read some reviews that say they transition perfectly within 30 seconds, and other reviews that say they don't transition at all. You think there are some duds out there?

post #4 of 8

I had a pair of Zeal Polarized Photochromic Lens which I used for about 3 years.  I loved them, they were fantastic in bright light and the transitioning could get quite dark in very sunny spring conditions and vary quite a bit in less bright conditions.  Good clarity.  However, for flat light not so good.  I had another pair of Smith goggles that had a good flat light lens which I used.  But my eyes are getting older and I don't do flat light that well, so others mileage may vary.

 

I suspect they are a bit oversold on the flat light bit, but they work very well for everything else.

 

I wouldn't trust any simulation for any lens or goggle lens from anybody.  Color accuracy from any monitor is questionable.  And since most of us haven't been on snow since April, I doubt if our memories are to be trusted either.

 

They will transition fairly quickly but be advised that ANY photochromic lens is temperature sensitive - the colder it is, the more slowly they will transition.  Still a lot faster than changing your lens or goggle though. 

 

I don't think of my Zeals as duds, they do certain things very well.

 

Unless you are buying online, go to a shop and try on a pair.  Ask them to let you walk outside with them on.

post #5 of 8

I call BS on that web demo.  How come I don't see any snow when I switch to "snowy"?

post #6 of 8

I also have to say that my Zeal's don't transition very quickly, but they do adapt to the overall brightness on the mountain where I'm skiing. I think they tend to stay a bit on the dark side and aren't the best for the flatest light conditions. For those days I have a different pair of goggles. I haven't seen or tried any goggles that really work across all of the possible conditions you can see on a mountain from bright sunlight to skiing through clouds and heavy snow. Therefore, I think you really need at least two pairs to cover the extremes and hopefully one of them will also work well on "medium" days.

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
 

I also have to say that my Zeal's don't transition very quickly, but they do adapt to the overall brightness on the mountain where I'm skiing. I think they tend to stay a bit on the dark side and aren't the best for the flatest light conditions. For those days I have a different pair of goggles. I haven't seen or tried any goggles that really work across all of the possible conditions you can see on a mountain from bright sunlight to skiing through clouds and heavy snow. Therefore, I think you really need at least two pairs to cover the extremes and hopefully one of them will also work well on "medium" days.

This is kind of how I use mine. I use them on normal days where you get both clouds and sun, and they are great for that. If it's supposed to snow or at least be cloudy all day, I use a different goggle totally. 

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

This is kind of how I use mine. I use them on normal days where you get both clouds and sun, and they are great for that. If it's supposed to snow or at least be cloudy all day, I use a different goggle totally. 


Ditto for mine, except mine work well on cloudy days for me. I find them to work very well in everything but super flat light. I also like that they don't fog like my Smith's (I think it's just the way they fit my face.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Can I trust Zeal's website on Automatic (Photochromic) Lenses?