Im looking at buying a supplemental pass to go with our RMSP+. Im looking at either a Loveland or Abasin pass. Ive yet to ski Abasin but its reputation proceeds it and we hit Loveland 4-5 times last year. I really like the ridge cat and the skiing on the north side of the highway. Im more of an open bowl/steeps type of skier but need options for the family as well. my wife is a blue groomer cruiser and my young son (7) is a single black/bumps boarder....let em rip. Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- Summit County 2/26-2/28 Last post on 3/2/17 at 3:35pm in Trip Reports
- Must ski lines in CO? [traveler staying at Breckenridge] Last post on 2/1/17 at 2:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Winter Park or Loveland Week Before Christmas? Last post on 8/30/16 at 8:03pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Banff or A-basin in Late April/Early May!! Last post on 5/3/16 at 3:11pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Skiing near Denver Last post on 2/28/16 at 5:17pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the April
Last edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/5/16
- Top 5 Fridays - Resort Updates, Skiing in Colorado, Drone Avalanche...Last edited: 10/30/15
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
supplemental pass [Colorado family]post #1 of 88/27/14 at 9:00amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 88/27/14 at 3:05pm
I find Loveland is more friendly to intermediates / cruising, and also tends to have more "wide open" terrain.
A-basin has gnarlier trees, steeps, and bumps, with more limited blue cruising options.
Loveland and A-Basin open at near the same time, but A-basin stays open later than Loveland.
Loveland is also closer to Denver, and (I think) less affected by pass/tunnel closings.post #3 of 88/27/14 at 3:15pm
I usually get a A-basin 4 pack to go with my RMSP to carry me into May. This year I'm going to hold out and buy a 2014-2015 A-basin season pass when they go on sale in late March or early April. That will allow me to ski the rest of this year and all of next year for about the cost of two four packs.
I'll probably also get an Aspen Classic 4 pack as I usually do, but with the Crested Butte days on the RMSP+ I'm tempted to head down there instead. Not sure if I can pull off both Aspen and CB this year with family constraints.
The best labor day non-Vail pass deals:post #4 of 88/27/14 at 5:29pmI bought an A-Basin pass this Spring, used it 5 or 6 times, and it's good for the entire 14/15 season. That is a no brainer in terms of cost.
Both are great. A-Basin is, IMO, a more perfect union to the RMSP+. You don't really want to miss a month or more of Spring skiing for more money, do you?
Loveland has the cheaper day rates, you need a lot more days to justify the pass price there.
Edited by NayBreak - 8/27/14 at 5:57pmpost #5 of 88/27/14 at 6:44pmThread Starter
i think im going to go with the Loveland pass card to get us through, then in the spring pick up the Abasin pass. It carries discounted tickets for the family and first day free along with every fifth after that being free. not a bad deal as we will probably see it 4-5 times in the early season then a few more for variety during the year. Then come spring time ill pick up an Abasin pass to finish out the spring and jump start next year.post #6 of 88/27/14 at 6:56pm
That's definitely a tough call, Loveland has some nice blues but not too many steeps, and A-Basin has some nice steeps but not a lot of blues. I think you made the right choice with Loveland though, they don't have as many steeps, but the stuff off of lift one is pretty good, not to mention it's even less crowded than A-Basin.post #7 of 88/27/14 at 7:56pmThread Starter
i dont really care about the blue cruising but if momma aint happy no ones happy. the good thing about her though is she could ski the same run all day as long as the scenery is nice and shes having a good day...its all good.
- supplemental pass [Colorado family]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- In Praise of the Anti-Resorts
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 9 minutes ago
- › 105-110 powder ski that can handle ice 12 minutes ago
- › First Chair Introductions - Where? How often? Solo or with others? 30 minutes ago
- › FS: Brand New Sweet Protection Trooper MIPS Helmet. Size L/XL 37 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 44 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 49 minutes ago
- › Post Your Ski Videos Here! 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Spring vacation trip ideas, for a family with beginners,... 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Waxing tips and removing rust from leaving in roof box too wet? 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Okemo Mountain by TRobertson
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview