or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2015-2016 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2015-2016 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion - Page 8  

post #211 of 710
Thread Starter 

4-5" new at AZ Snowbowl today. Both Snowbowl and Sunrise COULD open this weekend, they have enough snow.  I doubt either will but who knows.  Sipapu is on track to open in NM this weekend, they will be the first for that state.  Welcome to ski season.  :D

post #212 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconMeCrazy View Post
 

I plan to visit Snowbowl in late December. 

 

Take a lesson, meet up with a bear, or both? Any instructor suggestions? I haven't been to Snowbowl since 2011. Off topic - would it be worth visiting the Grand Canyon in the winter?

post #213 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconMeCrazy View PostOff topic - would it be worth visiting the Grand Canyon in the winter?

 

I visited the North rim of GC in winter and it was spectacular.  I don't know if the train or hotel are open at that time of year.

post #214 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan View Post
 

 

I visited the North rim of GC in winter and it was spectacular.  I don't know if the train or hotel are open at that time of year.

Really? How did you get there? 

post #215 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post

4-5" new at AZ Snowbowl today. Both Snowbowl and Sunrise COULD open this weekend, they have enough snow.  I doubt either will but who knows.  Sipapu is on track to open in NM this weekend, they will be the first for that state.  Welcome to ski season.  biggrin.gif


Agassiz to the top or just the lower groomers?
post #216 of 710

I set the alarm last night for 3:45 AM to get some dawn patrol action today. The coverage is so good for November. Upper Volcano was getting winch cat groomed and snowmaking was going hard all along ridge from midway down. I think they are going to try and get Agassiz up and running for opening day!

 

AppleMark

Apres breakfast beer at 7:50. 

AppleMark

post #217 of 710
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolfAnalogy View Post



Agassiz to the top or just the lower groomers?

 



I'd be surprised if they don't get the top open real early this season.
post #218 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
 

Really? How did you get there? 

 

Same way I left. No snow and no closed roads.

post #219 of 710

Early next week is looking pretty good from New Mexico. The system might get its act together a little slow, but it has a nice moisture fetch from the Pacific.

post #220 of 710
Thread Starter 
I hope this cycle of some powder every week keeps up. Things haven't looked this good going into a season in a long time!
post #221 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post

I hope this cycle of some powder every week keeps up. Things haven't looked this good going into a season in a long time!

 

Going into? 

 

I consider Wolf an honorary NM ski area because its only a few miles North of the border and everyone in Colorado wants to talk about I-70. ;)

 

I feel confident in saying that the best skiing in the country right now is in our backyard- and anyone that wants to get their season going should come on up- there were a lot of Santa Fe area day skiers at Wolf on Wednesday. :)

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/143635/wolf-creek-vets-day-11-11#post_1938081

post #222 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

I consider Wolf an honorary NM ski area because its only a few miles North of the border and everyone in Colorado wants to talk about I-70. ;)

 

Better NM than TX...  :duck:

post #223 of 710
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

 

Going into? 

 

I consider Wolf an honorary NM ski area because its only a few miles North of the border and everyone in Colorado wants to talk about I-70. wink.gif

 

I feel confident in saying that the best skiing in the country right now is in our backyard- and anyone that wants to get their season going should come on up- there were a lot of Santa Fe area day skiers at Wolf on Wednesday. smile.gif

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/143635/wolf-creek-vets-day-11-11#post_1938081

 



I'll request for this to be changed to a Four Corners thread if you'll post all your Wolf and Purg stuff in it?
post #224 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post

I'll request for this to be changed to a Four Corners thread if you'll post all your Wolf and Purg stuff in it?

 

Sure. I think that makes a lot more sense, geographically speaking. I think the front rage guys generally feel I just post in "their" thread to rub their noses in it. :)

post #225 of 710
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

 

Sure. I think that makes a lot more sense, geographically speaking. I think the front rage guys generally feel I just post in "their" thread to rub their noses in it. smile.gif

 



Lol, I made the request.
post #226 of 710

Well it's not that much and not really your typical El Nino system since it's coming out of Alaska but I sure like how we are getting cycled! 

 

https://www.facebook.com/NWSFlagstaff/photos/a.213368412026176.67489.205559556140395/1154853597877648/?type=3&theater

post #227 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

Sure. I think that makes a lot more sense, geographically speaking. I think the front rage guys generally feel I just post in "their" thread to rub their noses in it. smile.gif

Now, now we like to hear about Wolf, just like you have to put up with our April, May, and June lift served smile.gif.

But, yea, "Colorado" is a bit broad for ski region discussions.
post #228 of 710
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post

Well it's not that much and not really your typical El Nino system since it's coming out of Alaska but I sure like how we are getting cycled! 



 



https://www.facebook.com/NWSFlagstaff/photos/a.213368412026176.67489.205559556140395/1154853597877648/?type=3&theater


 



AZ never fails to get some nukage in December and it is all going to fall on an already established base. biggrin.gif
post #229 of 710
Thread Starter 

Wonder if the early snow is hindering the lift installs at Snowbowl and Purg?  Both are supposed to be running by Christmas I believe.

post #230 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post
 

Wonder if the early snow is hindering the lift installs at Snowbowl and Purg?  Both are supposed to be running by Christmas I believe.

I doubt that it helps but we could be having worse problems right? :)

post #231 of 710
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
 

I doubt that it helps but we could be having worse problems right? :)

 

Haha yeah.  I can't wait for the new lift to hopefully suck some of the traffic off Agassiz on the pow days.  My buddy who only skis at Sunrise because of their quad is actually considering going to Snowbowl this season to ride their new lift so more people up there in general could be the negative.  Who knows.

post #232 of 710
As of yesterday, I heard they were still working on craning in the lower terminal at purg, and they were doing so in knee deep snow.
post #233 of 710
Thread Starter 

Dumping at Sunrise.

 

h

post #234 of 710
Saturday wasn't bad! It got pretty warm, 45* at the base. Some stuff started to get sun affected, but steeps and trees were still soft.

I met up with @lonewolf210 for a few runs. My boots have been giving me serious fits all season, and I quickly got to the point where I could manage 3 turns and then needed to stop. I wasn't a terribly great guide, but he's a cool guy to ski with.

After I split off from him, I had to limp to the base and get out of my boots. I reconnected with my wife and we did groomers to keep my damned feet happy, but the groomers kinda weren't really groomed- and the bunny hill had a roped off groomer right in the middle of it. roflmao.gif

Ski patrol confirmed the grooming crew broke one down and spent most of the night trying to get it going, so the only freshly groomed run off the bunny hill was tranquility. Whoops.

I came home to find my new vacuum boots waiting for me. To my surprise, they fit really well right out of the box. I go today to get them molded, and hopefully I can move on from getting screwed up feet skiing the goods like what has happened to date this year.
post #235 of 710

I found a great article on skiing Arizona from the 80's: http://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/cdm/singleitem/collection/aho/id/282/rec/61

Pages 36-43 if you download the PDF. It's got some good pics and reminders of a different time (I think I first learned to ski in 1986, the same year this came out).

 

In its lift of ski areas, it includes "Greer, also in the White Mountains, seventeen miles farther northeast [than Sunrise], is a low-key ski area. Beginner and intermediate slopes only, with poma lift and rope tow. The area has on-site equipment rental, sales, and lodging." I haven't been able to find anything else about the Greer ski area online, and I don't remember seeing any abandoned-looking slopes when I've been through Greer. I'm guessing one of the lodges up there experimented for a few years with their own little ski hill. Anyone know about this or where it was?

post #236 of 710

Neat article.

I don't know about "Greer" but there was Big Cienega before there was Sunrise. I'm guessing they are the same thing.

My dad used to ski there when we lived in Springerville prior to construction of Sunrise.

post #237 of 710
Thread Starter 
Snowbowl picked up 4-5". @raisingarizona you get up there this morning?
post #238 of 710

Wolf got 10" overnight, and I think it might still be coming down. :)

 

post #239 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post

Snowbowl picked up 4-5". @raisingarizona you get up there this morning?

No. I have to do biology homework. :(

post #240 of 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

Saturday wasn't bad! It got pretty warm, 45* at the base. Some stuff started to get sun affected, but steeps and trees were still soft.

I met up with @lonewolf210 for a few runs. My boots have been giving me serious fits all season, and I quickly got to the point where I could manage 3 turns and then needed to stop. I wasn't a terribly great guide, but he's a cool guy to ski with.

After I split off from him, I had to limp to the base and get out of my boots. I reconnected with my wife and we did groomers to keep my damned feet happy, but the groomers kinda weren't really groomed- and the bunny hill had a roped off groomer right in the middle of it. roflmao.gif

Ski patrol confirmed the grooming crew broke one down and spent most of the night trying to get it going, so the only freshly groomed run off the bunny hill was tranquility. Whoops.

I came home to find my new vacuum boots waiting for me. To my surprise, they fit really well right out of the box. I go today to get them molded, and hopefully I can move on from getting screwed up feet skiing the goods like what has happened to date this year.

 

@anachronism was great to ski with but unfortunately as he mentioned his ski boots were killing his feet. Wolf Creek was in great shape though and it was a perfect first day out for the season. Nice to not have to start on a WROD for once. With the storm today Wolf is going to be in incredible early season shape. Hopefully, the season will continue like this and here's to hoping that Taos is getting in on the action as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2015-2016 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion