or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too Skinny for GS Suit

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

I have an XL Spyder GS suit that I got last December—I bought it new. I'm so skinny that around my elbows, shoulders, and knees, my suit wrinkles. You see in the Olympics, or any time athletes wear the suits, it's hugging them. Not me. There are places where the suit doesn't even touch me. Anyone know if there are any, say exercises or workouts to get the shoulders or legs or arms more beefy so that I can fit into the suit better? It's technically my size for my height and weight, I'm just too slim for it. Thanks!

post #2 of 22
Are you racing in a beer league? If not, join one. That should take care of the problem.
post #3 of 22

Get a smaller suit!     You will find with spyder that the smaller sizes fit similar heights but with less volume.  i have Spyder suits in M, L and XL and they all fit.  Look at the size of most of the USST DH guys and their build.  most of them are in XL suits...

 

But, if it helps, I can give you about 10# of stomach that will help you fill it out...:D 

post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 

Well the funny thing is I tried on a L to make sure, and it was too tight ironically.

post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

Are you racing in a beer league? If not, join one. That should take care of the problem.

ok, that was good, but he said it was too big in elbows, shoulders, and knees, not belly... :-) 

post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by limemoya View Post
 

Well the funny thing is I tried on a L to make sure, and it was too tight ironically.

 probably not!   When they are new they should be pretty tight, they do stretch a bit!

 

Like I said i can get into a M at 165# as well as use an XL and an L

post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post
 

Get a smaller suit!     You will find with spyder that the smaller sizes fit similar heights but with less volume.  i have Spyder suits in M, L and XL and they all fit.  Look at the size of most of the USST DH guys and their build.  most of them are in XL suits...

 

But, if it helps, I can give you about 10# of stomach that will help you fill it out...:D 

Thumbs Up:D

post #8 of 22

Nobody sympathizes with you when you say you have trouble putting on weight.

post #9 of 22

Possible solution.  Check your Private Messages.

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post
 

Nobody sympathizes with you when you say you have trouble putting on weight.

High metabolism sucks

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Let me also clarify. For example on my shoulder, the pad that's supposed to be over my bicep is riding up my bicep to peak the shoulder, if you will, so it's higher than it should be because I have no muscle on my shoulders. I'll take a picture when I return home in a few days. In some places the pads are supposed to be molded around my body, but some of them are flat, no curving or bending from hugging my body. Again visuals will come soon
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by limemoya View Post

Well the funny thing is I tried on a L to make sure, and it was too tight ironically.

How many suits have you owned before? Given your description of how the XL fits, it is too big. A suit is supposed to be tight. If you are new to them, you may have mis-evaluated the fit on the large. Otherwise try a different brand.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post


How many suits have you owned before? Given your description of how the XL fits, it is too big. A suit is supposed to be tight. If you are new to them, you may have mis-evaluated the fit on the large. Otherwise try a different brand.

this.  A new suit should require assistance to get on and off your upper body.  Normally should not be able to get anything other than a light base layer under it.  In fact the USST suits i have are cut even smaller than the standard. e.g. an XL fits like an L in a normal Spyder

post #14 of 22

I think limemoya is a junior racer.  @limemoya , correct me if I'm wrong.

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
I've had a M DH suit that I never wore because I was injured soon after I got it. The following year, the time last December, I went shopping for a new one seeing the M wouldn't fit me. I'm 17 years old and race in high school and U18. I did have some assistance in the fitting process and the gentleman helpin me suggested the XL, maybe because he thought I would grow more, but I'm pretty much grown. I tried on both the L and XL and he strongly encouraged the XL since I'll wear warm wear underneath. I wear Hot Chillys underneath but that doesn't help with the skinniness part.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post
 

this.  A new suit should require assistance to get on and off your upper body.  Normally should not be able to get anything other than a light base layer under it.  In fact the USST suits i have are cut even smaller than the standard. e.g. an XL fits like an L in a normal Spyder

 

 

Case in point my 17 year old has one of ScotsSkiers' suits and he is 6'1"- 6'2" ~170lbs and the XL Spyder is snug on him.

post #17 of 22

You could put on some muscle mass and that should help you in the gates as well as filling out the suit.  You can start off with a beginners weightlifting program like this one: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/.  If you want you could try and get a more ski-specific workout program going by talking to your skiing coach, but a standard program to make yourself stronger will help you. 

 

Even if you have a fast metabolism and are an active person that burns a lot of calories, it still is very possible to gain weight as long as you keep track of how much you're eating.  Lots of chicken, peanut butter, avocado, milk, and oats are your friend as they are healthy foods that also have a good amount of calories to them. To figure out how many calories you need to eat a day to gain around a pound of a week, use this calorie estimator: http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html.  It may not be perfect, so after a few weeks, you could increase the amount of food you eat if you haven't gained much.  If you stick to that, you should be well filling the suit by the time ski season is here, and you'll be stronger as well which will improve your skiing.

post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
The images may make it seem like I have exaggerated what I explained but they don't really

[/IMG]


post #19 of 22
No, the suit is too big, it should be stretched out a bit, not just hanging on you
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well it kinda sucks because there's no return on this and because I'm 17 my parents still buy me this stuff. We decided this was it no buts because the guy strongly encouraged the XL over the L
post #21 of 22
If it can't be returned, fill it out. One suggestion was to start weight lifting. That will work, hut will take a bit of time.

There is nothing that says you can't wear more underneath. If you wear a base layer already, maybe add a sweatshirt or fleece? How about a padded top like the Basher top from Spyder. Do the same for your legs.

I think the key in doing this is finding a way that you fill it just enough to remove the wrinkles and hanging it does, without it being binding or restricting movement.

The silver lining in having one too big now, is that you will eventually fill it out and in the mean time you can be warm.

It also means that as ScotsSkier mentioned, a new suit should be tight and stretch out over time; well yours probably won't do that until you actually fill it out.

If you recently got the suit, you might want to check again with the store on there return policy. I bought a brand new suit and was able to return it for a different one. I think what most store's policy is really there for is people wearing and getting them sweaty and the store having to resell it as used. Just because they have a policy doesn't mean they aren't willing to work with you.

As qcanoe pointed out, different brands will fit differently. Remember this for your next purchase.

Good luck,
Ken
post #22 of 22

The good news is that once you get into the gate all the piddly stuff like this recedes into the background. In fact, you could argue that this phenomenon is one of the main things that keeps people racing. In other words, you will have fun regardless.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home