or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › East Coast All Mountain Ski Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

East Coast All Mountain Ski Suggestions

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hey guy, so I'm looking for a new ski for days we don't get any snow (Northeast). I’m 6’1, 210lbs. I’m not sure about my skill level. I just started doing diamond runs last year. I ski mostly Killington, Stratton, Mt.Snow and Windham. I also stick to the groomers and go fast :) I was on the Volkl RTM 73 last year (I no longer have this ski). I purchased a Fischer Motive 86 this year. I’m not sure how it’ll handle the hard packed. I would prefer a ski with a waist of 77-80 and length of 177-182. Any Suggestions?

post #2 of 15
To help with recommendations ...... what happened to the RTM 73, and what did you like/not like about it?
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

I loved the RTM 73's for the past two seasons i had them. I had a skiing accident when i went in the trees and lost both skis. Even if i did have them i would still opt for new skis. They greatly helped my confidence. I did not like that chatter they gave me when i attempted to accelerate on them. They also did not go fast. I wanted more and more speed as i got better but i felt that the RTm 73 under achieved in that dept. The float on the RTM 73's was not to my liking as well as it felt sluggish. So yea, there you have it.

post #4 of 15

For fast groomer skiing the RTM 80 or RTM 81 are good skis, the 81 is more demanding than the 80 but both are much better than the RTM 73. I'm confused about why you are asking this question AFTER you got the Motive 86, If you got the 86 for more float, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. An all mountain ski with OK float is generally around 100 under foot and a true powder ski starts at around 115.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
 

For fast groomer skiing the RTM 80 or RTM 81 are good skis, the 81 is more demanding than the 80 but both are much better than the RTM 73. I'm confused about why you are asking this question AFTER you got the Motive 86, If you got the 86 for more float, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. An all mountain ski with OK float is generally around 100 under foot and a true powder ski starts at around 115.


Thanks for the info. I've been checking out the RTM 81. Sounds like the optimal ski for me. I got the 86 because the whole motive line was on sale and i got it for $250 shipped. I was under the impression that 86 would do well in 3"-6" of snow.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamhoss1174 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post

 
For fast groomer skiing the RTM 80 or RTM 81 are good skis, the 81 is more demanding than the 80 but both are much better than the RTM 73. I'm confused about why you are asking this question AFTER you got the Motive 86, If you got the 86 for more float, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. An all mountain ski with OK float is generally around 100 under foot and a true powder ski starts at around 115.


Thanks for the info. I've been checking out the RTM 81. Sounds like the optimal ski for me. I got the 86 because the whole motive line was on sale and i got it for $250 shipped. I was under the impression that 86 would do well in 3"-6" of snow.

But you started the thread by saying you wanted a ski for "no new snow" days. Two different requirements. Which is it?

Also when you say that your old skis "did not go fast," what does that mean? Just as there is no such thing as a knife that never needs sharpening, there is no such thing as a ski that never needs waxing (or sharpening, for that matter).
post #7 of 15

I ski the Head Rally 177cm ( 6.1 185lbs) at Killington . Perfect ski for the typical  fast and firm  conditions .

 

I would try your Fischer Motive first on the fast and firm.. You may be surprised how well they perform and not need a second pair of skis.

 

 

CJ

post #8 of 15
I would think your Fischer Motive at 86 under foot should work pretty well on no new snow days, choppy stuff or a few inches new. Have read lots of good things about that ski, seems like a lot of people have them. I'm on Atomic Blackeyes with 81 under foot which work well for me but i catch myself wondering if something in the 86-90 might be a bit better. Always looking for an excuse to get another pair I suppose.
post #9 of 15

Another recommendation to try your Motive 86s.  I have been using my Motive 88s (similar to the 86) at Killington and it works very well on just about everything.  A very versatile ski. 

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamhoss1174 View Post
 

I loved the RTM 73's for the past two seasons i had them. I had a skiing accident when i went in the trees and lost both skis. Good reason to get new skis. Even if i did have them i would still opt for new skis. They greatly helped my confidence. I did not like that chatter they gave me when i attempted to accelerate on them Good reason to work on skiing better. They also did not go fast. I wanted more and more speed as i got better but i felt that the RTm 73 under achieved in that dept. The float on the RTM 73's was not to my liking as well as it felt sluggish. So yea, there you have it.

 

More than likely the reason your skis chattered at speed is because you weren't pressuring the tips.  That is a technique issue and not a ski issue.  There is a very good chance, no matter what ski you get, you'll have the same problem if it was your technique causing it.

 

Ken

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&AirC View Post
 

 

More than likely the reason your skis chattered at speed is because you weren't pressuring the tips.  That is a technique issue and not a ski issue.  There is a very good chance, no matter what ski you get, you'll have the same problem if it was your technique causing it.

 

Ken


Well, part of this is the RTM is a short radius ski.  So at higher speeds, when he applies pressures they could start overturning more than he can hold and they skid out. 

So getting a different ski with a bigger radius could raise the confidence that he can pressure at higher speeds and the ski won't just take off at 90degrees leading to a skid out.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post


Well, part of this is the RTM is a short radius ski.  So at higher speeds, when he applies pressures they could start overturning more than he can hold and they skid out. 
So getting a different ski with a bigger radius could raise the confidence that he can pressure at higher speeds and the ski won't just take off at 90degrees leading to a skid out.

My experience on short radius skis has not been the same and he stated they won't go fast so he isn't going fast enough for what you described to happen. Either way, that isn't what he described. Chattering usually is to described the tip chattering and is usually caused by having your weight too far back.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&AirC View Post

My experience on short radius skis has not been the same and he stated they won't go fast so he isn't going fast enough for what you described to happen. Either way, that isn't what he described. Chattering usually is to described the tip chattering and is usually caused by having your weight too far back.
Could be technique, could also be alignment (skis not flat on snow).
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKS View Post

Could be technique, could also be alignment (skis not flat on snow).

I can't disagree with that but I would think there would be other symptoms. Skis not being flat usually also mean there's issues turning because your edges aren't engaging and releasing together.

In full disclosures, when I had only been skiing a couple years, I thought I needed better skis because my skis were chattering. I got better skis. They didn't chatter near as much but that was because they weighed a ton (atomic metron b5). I went through a couple pairs of skis before I realized it was me and not the ski.

The more I pay attention to skis and technique and alignment, the more difficult I think it is for a ski to chatter (any ski that isn't broken and is properly tuned) that is being skied correctly. This is defining chattering as the tips vibrating as your skiing.
post #15 of 15
How about the nordica fire arrow 76ti? Should be showing up in stores soon. New model from nordica that you could put pretty much anyone on from intermediate to expert and have a blast slicing through boilerplate conditions. Fun ski, k2 amp 80 carbon would be a metal free option as well. I'd you want metal go with the amp 80ti. Still a carver but the metal is perforated to keep it light and not as aggressive as an rtm 81 or similar ski.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › East Coast All Mountain Ski Suggestions