or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Camelback ski resort - Page 2

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post


This is a joke? PA is the abbreviation for Pennsylvania.

If they do make it the biggest, I can't imagine how bad the lines will get.. Have they added more terrain? More lifts? The place was already a zoo ten years ago. They must be planning on siphoning off people from skiing into the water park or something.

um its not as terrible as mountain creek but its pretty bad. On the weekends that old 3 seater hidden behind the trees to the right of the bigger learning hill , most non locals dont know about that lift. 

 

 

Couldn't you theoretically ski down the back of that mountain, if they made trails? But yeah they dont really have the trail space trying to get from left to right is a nightmare on the weekend . You will probably pass 300 people on the nile mile alone. As much as I appreciate learning at camelback I am so glad i made a commitment to drive further to NY to avoid the place. 

post #32 of 49
Sounds like you're talking the Cleo lift, if it's still there.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonorchid View Post
 

I stopped going to CB before they homogenized it.

 

Was a junior member of the Wissahickon Ski Club as a teen so went there at least once a week usually twice/week during ski season. I only skied the black diamond runs, well what little terrain CB had of them, mostly Margies, the Hump and Rocket and Asp were usually closed or a ice rink!

 

Memorable moment was from the late seventies when they held a Pro Freestyle meet with respectable aerials on iirc the Hump or Rocket.

 

We most probably saw each other skiing there back in the day.

 

To bad they can't build a higher and steeper mountain!

 

I'm curious about the Wissahickon Ski Club.  I'm from the Philly area and went to Wissahickon Sr High School.

post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

 

I'm curious about the Wissahickon Ski Club.  I'm from the Philly area and went to Wissahickon Sr High School.

You must be sponsored to join, dues are on the high side, trips are affordable.

 

http://www.wissahickonskiclub.com/

 

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/02/slopes_in_good_shape_at_wissah.html

post #35 of 49

Schlepping up from northern Delaware on a Saturday night for an all-day ski on Sunday (9 am to 7 pm-ish), I find CB is worth the "extra drive" over Blue Mountain, and unless it's a holiday (MLK or President's Day), decent enough to not be bothered with the extra 45 minutes to Elk (I'm 45 minutes below Philadelphia...). 

 

Certainly, I'm grading on a curve for acceptability versus our annual trips out West, but I find on weekends, with Blue Mountain's lift layout funneling _everyone_ to either the high-speed lift on the left, or the high-speed lift on the right, the lines are unbearable.  However, at Camelback, I find most people gravitate to the high-speed quads (similar to Blue Mountain), but unlike Blue Mountain, CB has a lot of old two and three seat lifts in-between, and we're happy to jump on those -- a little longer ride to the top, but a lot less wait time in line. 

 

Again, just giving the devil its due.  I'd rather ski rather than not ski, and as I work most Saturdays, traveling farther than PA isn't in the cards, other than the one to two destination trips each season, where I'd much rather fly out West than pay stupid money to ski NY or further North.  Note also, I have school-age kids, so weekday Pocono trips are few and far between.

 

We'll drive up Saturday night (I work most Saturdays until 5), and I can usually snatch a cheap night's stay in Tannersville or Bartonsville on Hotwire or Priceline, so I'm not getting up with the chickens down in Delaware to get on the lifts first thing Sunday morning.  There's no lodging so close as that to stay at Elk.  That said, Elk can't be beat on a holiday. 

 

Now, all that said, as to the OP, I am very worried about this lodging expansion up at CB.  I can't agree more that if the terrain isn't expanded to meet the added draw, it's going to kill it.  I suspect the interest money they'll be paying on that expansion will get pretty crippling if they wind up driving everyone away to their competitors.  I'm just worried where I'll go on a Sunday, because I can't stand Blue on weekends.   Unless you're addicted to long waits in line to get on a high-speed lift at either mountain, Camelback is a lot better.

post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
 

Schlepping up from northern Delaware on a Saturday night for an all-day ski on Sunday (9 am to 7 pm-ish), I find CB is worth the "extra drive" over Blue Mountain, and unless it's a holiday (MLK or President's Day), decent enough to not be bothered with the extra 45 minutes to Elk (I'm 45 minutes below Philadelphia...). 

 

-

 

  I'm just worried where I'll go on a Sunday, because I can't stand Blue on weekends.  

Do the extra 45minute drive, you won't regret it.

post #37 of 49

If this expansion plays out the way we all suspect it will, I think Elk might see me a lot more this season.

post #38 of 49
Both CB and Blue are zoos on the weekend, but CB has such a tight weird trail layout up top. IMHO harder to get around from one side of the mountain to the other than Blue. Can't imagine it after the expansion. I'll stay with Blue myself and even Jack Frost. Elk is just too far for a day trip for me, but the best in eastern PA for sure. If you are willing to use the singles line the lift wait at Blue is not that bad.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
 

If this expansion plays out the way we all suspect it will, I think Elk might see me a lot more this season.


If you head up to Elk, I discovered last winter that the Microtel in Dickson City right off I-81 has Ski & Stay packages.  The co-owner/GM is a skier.

post #40 of 49
Elk's website lists several local hotels with package deals including the Microtel. I'm going to check one out this season.
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


If you head up to Elk, I discovered last winter that the Microtel in Dickson City right off I-81 has Ski & Stay packages.  The co-owner/GM is a skier.

 

Thanks for the heads- up.  I'll check that out.  Are you driving there from Raleigh??

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
 

If this expansion plays out the way we all suspect it will, I think Elk might see me a lot more this season.

I don't think the expansion is open until April 2015...so it shouldn't matter this year.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonorchid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
 

Schlepping up from northern Delaware on a Saturday night for an all-day ski on Sunday (9 am to 7 pm-ish), I find CB is worth the "extra drive" over Blue Mountain, and unless it's a holiday (MLK or President's Day), decent enough to not be bothered with the extra 45 minutes to Elk (I'm 45 minutes below Philadelphia...). 

Do the extra 45minute drive, you won't regret it.

I'm with Kitchener on this one...that 45min seems REALLLLLLYYYYYYY LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG. I wouldn't go to Elk unless there was a BIG storm or if I was spending the whole weekend; it's just not worth the extra drive on a normal day.

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


If you head up to Elk, I discovered last winter that the Microtel in Dickson City right off I-81 has Ski & Stay packages.  The co-owner/GM is a skier.

 

Thanks for the heads- up.  I'll check that out.  Are you driving there from Raleigh??


Yes I drive from Raleigh, but not just to ski at Elk.  My daughter is in school in Lake Placid, NY.  Since I have the luxury of being a retired ski nut, I sometimes drive up and back when she has school vacations during ski season.  It's been fun to explore new ski areas and compare them to those I've skied in the southeast (NC, VA, WV).  I liked Elk, but really liked Plattekill.  Also checked out Roundtop and Whitetail.  The irony last winter was that the two coldest ski days I had all season were in PA, meaning the high those days was about 10 degrees!  And I skied in the Adirondacks and at Stowe/Smuggs in addition to trips out west.

 

Note that I drive 4 hours one way for weekend ski trips.  Started that when my daughter was 4 and still doing it with friends who have kids who are having a great time at Massanutten learning to ski.

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

... Camelback was pretty good before they homogenized it by taking the trees out of The Hump, cutting The Asp and Margies straight down and removing all the side trail cut offs.

 

Stumbled on this thread in an unrelated search and Philpug's above description of CB caught my eye.  I go there regularly on Sundays these days when I want to avoid the extra 45 minutes to ELK and to skip the worse lift lines at Blue (aka picking the lesser of two evils).  Anyway, I'll ski Asp and Margies tomorrow and try and spot where he means.  There used to be more turns in those trails?  And "taking trees out of the Hump": it was a tree-skiing run?  When was all this cut away (and why)? 

 

I spent those same years described above at Roundtop.

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

... Camelback was pretty good before they homogenized it by taking the trees out of The Hump, cutting The Asp and Margies straight down and removing all the side trail cut offs.

 

Stumbled on this thread in an unrelated search and Philpug's above description of CB caught my eye.  I go there regularly on Sundays these days when I want to avoid the extra 45 minutes to ELK and to skip the worse lift lines at Blue (aka picking the lesser of two evils).  Anyway, I'll ski Asp and Margies tomorrow and try and spot where he means.  There used to be more turns in those trails?  And "taking trees out of the Hump": it was a tree-skiing run?  When was all this cut away (and why)? 

 

I spent those same years described above at Roundtop.

This was done in the mid 80's. At the bottom of Margies (about equal to the bridge that went over the Alpine Slide was a band of trees that made you have to go left or right. Asp had two turns at the top from the Bailey's chair and the "face" of Asp was super steep, as a kid, I once felt like I would fall over the edge on it, that face was shaped like a funnel into a narrow S turn. Above the "face" you could actually ski into Hump. Hump was shorter, it didn't start all the way at King Tut, but lower. There were two gladed sections in the middle. 

 

This is a small picture but you can see some of what I am talking about on this old map...

post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

This was done in the mid 80's. At the bottom of Margies (about equal to the bridge that went over the Alpine Slide was a band of trees that made you have to go left or right. Asp had two turns at the top from the Bailey's chair and the "face" of Asp was super steep, as a kid, I once felt like I would fall over the edge on it, that face was shaped like a funnel into a narrow S turn. Above the "face" you could actually ski into Hump. Hump was shorter, it didn't start all the way at King Tut, but lower. There were two gladed sections in the middle. 

 

This is a small picture but you can see some of what I am talking about on this old map...

LUV this thread!  keep er goin!
 

...pretty soon someone's gonna want directions to Buck Hill...

post #47 of 49

Buck Hill Ski area was my first time on skis.  

post #48 of 49
Earlier Camelback map:


post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Earlier Camelback map:


I first skied CB in 1979 and I was amazed how Asp , Hump , and Main Line all came together in one spot. Asp and Hump came together from different directions with no clear right of way. I saw a number of head on collisions at that intersection over the years.  That was one of the worst ski trail intersections I had ever seen - crazy dangerous. . I also remember people falling off the trails and sliding down into the woods due to the height of the snowmaking combined with zero snow natural snow. The twilight tickets were the worst as half the people on the mountain were drunk and/or high. I haven't been back since the early 1980s. I don't miss it at all.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel