or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Okemo installing new six pack lift for upcoming season
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Okemo installing new six pack lift for upcoming season - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B. View Post

Call me old-fashioned, (hmmm, maybe I am...been skiing 52 years), and knowing Eastern skiing, this thing will promote more congestion at an already crowded summit. On weekends, two lifts serve a rocky top. Lots-o-people.



Personally, I'd rather spend a few more minutes in lift line than face crowded trails on the way down. Another down-side is the steeper stuff deteriorates quicker, ( ie. earlier in the AM), by adding more skiers. Our general conditions here in the east are pretty much hard and the overnight grooming is erased early enough without increased pressure from two more folks per chair.



Man, I AM getting old!! Cranky at that!biggrin.gif

 




Well, as a veteran of New England skiing, you should know not to ski on the weekends!
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B. View Post

Call me old-fashioned, (hmmm, maybe I am...been skiing 52 years), and knowing Eastern skiing, this thing will promote more congestion at an already crowded summit. On weekends, two lifts serve a rocky top. Lots-o-people.



Personally, I'd rather spend a few more minutes in lift line than face crowded trails on the way down. Another down-side is the steeper stuff deteriorates quicker, ( ie. earlier in the AM), by adding more skiers. Our general conditions here in the east are pretty much hard and the overnight grooming is erased early enough without increased pressure from two more folks per chair.



Man, I AM getting old!! Cranky at that!biggrin.gif

 




Well, as a veteran of New England skiing, you should know not to ski on the weekends!


I certainly do! The wife is still working for one more year. I'm retired, so I do ski myself weekdays, but I endure weekend crowds to ski with her.
post #33 of 45

@Rossi Smash There was a thread about the Okemo 6 pack so I merged the two threads.  Ziggy said it was okay to make the merger happen :D

post #34 of 45
What makes the seats warm? How does it work?
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

What makes the seats warm? How does it work?

 

From what I've seen from heated lifts in Austria, when the chair/cable car has detached and is on the slow bull wheel, an electric current is fed to it and the heating coils in the seat warm up.

 

Once the chair/cable car is reattached to the fast cable, the current stops and the seat starts to cool back down. On a cold day, I usually can't feel any extra heat after the first few towers on open chairs. The heated cable cars tend to hold onto it a bit longer since they're completely enclosed.

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post

"So it's adding gadgets to improve" ........... disagree. If you've ever been to Okemo you'd appreciate the Northstar upgrading to a 6-pack as much more than gadgetry.

 

Nope. I've been a pass holder there for more than 10 years now. This will only further slope saturation, already a BIG problem. Let the folks wait for the chair and have better SKIING, that's what we're there for!

post #37 of 45

lol.  Okemo is not the place you go to avoid crowded slopes.  A shorter, faster moving line on Northstar is a plus.  Low skier density on the slopes is the impossible dream.

post #38 of 45

I agree, I don't think this is going to change much as far as the lift lines. Trying to coordinate 6 to get on a lift is a PITA and there will be a lot of chairs going up with 4's and 3's because of poor lift line management. I will add this to that wacky carpet lift feed at the base lodge area. I would have sooner seen them replace the Saghem or Glades Quad or even the Green Ridge Triple with high speeds to disperse the skiers. Also, what happened to the plans to put a Gondola from Jackson Gore to the Summit? 

post #39 of 45

1. As mentioned in the thread, the 6 pack is only adding a minimal increase in uphill capacity. This is not going to jam up the slopes.

 

2. Stratton has 4 HS6 chairs. They have no problem getting them filled when there is a line. The only time the lifts go up with less than 6 is when the corrals are empty. If Stratton can figure out on 4 HS6 lifts I am sure Okemo will figure it out too.

post #40 of 45

Stratton indeed loads their HS6 chairs pretty well. They have a liftie matches different groups of skier into sets of 6 prior to the march to the 'race' gate set up. The gates also opens in sequence. They open in sets of 2. The gates at the inside of the chair swing arc opens earlier. This sequential release appears to eliminate most of the lateral jostling that occurs on a single mass release.

 

OTOH, Breck's HS6 loads out from two distinct and separate sets of gates. That set up appears to be better for is the more mellow skier population of the west but consumes a tremendous amount of space at the bottom of the hill. A luxury most eastern resorts do not enjoy.       

 

So as x10003q said, they'll figure it out or the New Yorkers will tell them how. :D

post #41 of 45

Jiminy's HS sixer eats lines like crazy.  Not that hard to load.

post #42 of 45
Quote:
1. As mentioned in the thread, the 6 pack is only adding a minimal increase in uphill capacity. This is not going to jam up the slopes.-x1000q

So how are lines reduced so much if the capacity to move people up is the same? If lines are mot reduced it becomes a 7 million $ face and butt warmer as mentioned above.
I suspect it's that people feel better about being in a "long" line if the ride up Is short.

As to the Jackson Gore to top of Okemo gondola, i guess the cost could not be justified for little benefit.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post


So how are lines reduced so much if the capacity to move people up is the same? If lines are mot reduced it becomes a 7 million $ face and butt warmer as mentioned above.
I suspect it's that people feel better about being in a "long" line if the ride up Is short.

 

The ride up won't be any faster .. 1000 FPM vs Northstar at 1100 FPM when maxed which was only on weekends & Holidays

Chances are good that lines will increase with this lift as everyone will want to ride it.  The majority of Okemo skiers will love this lift.
There's so much more they could have done with 7 Mil

post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizoo View Post

The ride up won't be any faster .. 1000 FPM vs Northstar at 1100 FPM when maxed which was only on weekends & Holidays

Chances are good that lines will increase with this lift as everyone will want to ride it.  The majority of Okemo skiers will love this lift.
There's so much more they could have done with 7 Mil

 




why will "everyone" want to ride it?

thankfully I only ski there mid week. completely agree that the money could have been used for many far more needed updates.

only good news is for Sunapee, the old chair will be a huge improvement where it's going. I may venture there a bit more often now.
post #45 of 45
If you want to get $30 off the price of the Okemo Four.0 college pass use the COUPON CODE "Mike Northeastern"
 
You can buy your pass here: okemo.com/thecollegepass
 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Okemo installing new six pack lift for upcoming season