or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How many skiers in the world?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many skiers in the world?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I don't know if I've posted this in the correct part of the forum. Let me know if I need to change!

 

I'm doing a project in school and I need some information about it. I have Googled a lot but haven't found any good information.
So my questions are:
- How many skiers are there in the world?
- How many skis get sold each year? (In Europe, Asia and North America).
- How man fatskis get sold each year? ( Skis with more then 100 mm waist).

 

The years I'm interested in is 2011-12-13

 

 

Thanks,

August

post #2 of 28

Lets count off....

 

One. 

post #3 of 28

Two

 

(This will be a long thread...)

post #4 of 28

Three (though technically I snowboard as well so maybe I don't count full).

 

 

If you really want a semi serious answer look for SIA data & press releases and similar for Europe - ISPO probably produce some data.

post #5 of 28

Four (or is it FORE!)

post #6 of 28
I think Fore! is appropriate for the time of year.

Five
post #7 of 28

six and seven

 

skier visit and population skiing migth be obtianable by contacting ski association as mentioned above.

 

i think finding global ski sale figures is going to be tough... maybe doing it on a smaller scope though local ski shops migth be easier.

 

 

edit: some 2009 information there not sure how valid it is: http://fr.slideshare.net/siasnowshow/growing-participation-presentation


Edited by yann - 6/26/14 at 12:46pm
post #8 of 28

This is ridiculous. The answer is 27,989,763 skiers.

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

This is ridiculous. The answer is 27,989,763 skiers.

No spoiler alert????? :rules:

post #10 of 28
This will give you question 1. http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2014.pdf

You need to hone your Google skills.

I think we need to demand the name of these instructors sending us their students.
post #11 of 28

And, apparently this is what qualifies for a featured thread in the summer.   :rotflmao:

 

 

I can only imagine the editorial battle at EpicSki World Headquarters that lead to that decision :) 

 

Am I six or seven?  Have we lost count already?

post #12 of 28

You're 5 I think.

 

Every-one who responded in the meantime didn't count themselves as skiers... Maybe they're just snowboarders lurking around? Sorry guys, you're just being suspicious. ;)

post #13 of 28

The answer is 42.....................million

 

 

Seriously though I think taking the 400 million skier visits and dividing that by the average days/year the average skier skis will get you close.  If 4 times per year is average than there are roughly 100 million skiers.  If 10 times per year is the average ski days per skier than there are roughly 40 million skiers right?  So, it would appear that the rule of 42 wins again.

post #14 of 28
That report I linked to claims 115 million. Presumably they are counting people we wouldn't count as skiers because even though they think they are skiers, they haven't been actually skiing in a while.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

That report I linked to claims 115 million. Presumably they are counting people we wouldn't count as skiers because even though they think they are skiers, they haven't been actually skiing in a while.


Ya, in average days skied the answer for some would certainly be zero.  So, of the 400 million skier visits annually that works out to average 4 times a year overall roughly..

post #16 of 28

The battle only exists in my head.  Its summer and I thought.......Why not feature it for a day? 

I don't see everything on the site and will welcome input for features.  Bring it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

And, apparently this is what qualifies for a featured thread in the summer.   :rotflmao:

 

 

I can only imagine the editorial battle at EpicSki World Headquarters that lead to that decision :) 

 

Am I six or seven?  Have we lost count already?

post #17 of 28

There are only 12 skiers.

 

This is why lift tickets are so expensive.

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

That report I linked to claims 115 million. Presumably they are counting people we wouldn't count as skiers because even though they think they are skiers, they haven't been actually skiing in a while.

post #19 of 28

The report is about wintersporters (not just skiers). So snowboarders, cross-country skiers, 1 time-go-with-your-friends-and-drink-too-much skiers, winter hikers are also part of that 115 million? 

 

Besides, I think that number is based on bookings and lift ticket sales. So if you buy two lift tickets in a season, you count for 2.

post #20 of 28

10 skiers, millions of gapers. :)

post #21 of 28
Per the report
Skier: One person participating in skiing, snowboarding or other downhill sliding, independent of the rate of practice.
post #22 of 28
Anything over 100mm is fat? What? 100mm is still a carving ski. smile.gif

As for how many skiers there are, it depends what you mean by 'skier'. Someone who skied two runs on the bunny hill once in their life? Does someone who nordic skis, but has never alpine skied, count?
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggan View Post
 

I don't know if I've posted this in the correct part of the forum. Let me know if I need to change!

 

I'm doing a project in school and I need some information about it. I have Googled a lot but haven't found any good information.
So my questions are:
- How many skiers are there in the world?
- How many skis get sold each year? (In Europe, Asia and North America).
- How man fatskis get sold each year? ( Skis with more then 100 mm waist).

 

The years I'm interested in is 2011-12-13

 

 

Thanks,

August

 

 

So what makes you think this website would be a credible source for data? Do you think anyone at this site compiles this information?

 

Step one of doing research is to figure out who would know.  You will have better luck (trust me) by contacting industry associations and asking if they would be willing to share their data on the above.

 

Because nobody else has said it so far, we get a large influx of people whose first post is asking us to do their research for a school project. They make their one post, leave, and then 2 days later the next person does the same thing. Of course, nobody ever searches first to find the list of school project questions that have pestered this board for years, and nobody seems to want to identify the professor that is assigning these projects (or state whether the professor is specifically recommending that people do their research by coming here).

 

All this is me pointing out that my recommendation may be the closest you get to help here. I hope you understand.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

 

So what makes you think this website would be a credible source for data? Do you think anyone at this site compiles this information?

 

Step one of doing research is to figure out who would know.  You will have better luck (trust me) by contacting industry associations and asking if they would be willing to share their data on the above.

 

Because nobody else has said it so far, we get a large influx of people whose first post is asking us to do their research for a school project. They make their one post, leave, and then 2 days later the next person does the same thing. Of course, nobody ever searches first to find the list of school project questions that have pestered this board for years, and nobody seems to want to identify the professor that is assigning these projects (or state whether the professor is specifically recommending that people do their research by coming here).

 

All this is me pointing out that my recommendation may be the closest you get to help here. I hope you understand.

 

 

Ohh, now.  This sounds more like high school, anyway.  (I hope.)

post #25 of 28
Typical. He's had just this one post and hasn't logged in since three days after that post.
post #26 of 28

You can count me as +1 toward the skier tally.

 

Actually, on second thought, my gf snowboards, and I haven't converted her yet, so I think that reduces my +1 by 0.2-- so that's +0.8. But on third, or fourth thought, I ski better that +1, so let's say that I'm worth +1.5. Of course, figure in the -0.2 bit for the gf...

 

... so +1.3. Final answer. 

post #27 of 28


100 mm carving skis!  For those of us who spend most ski time on groomed/hard snow I would not consider a ski that wide to be a suitable ski.  Until a few years ago ski widths were only about 65-70mm and racing skis still reside in that area although shorter and with much more side cut.  We also skied powder with those narrow skis.  I know that wider skis like the Volkl Mantra do carve well but I would not consider them for an everyday hard snow ski. 

 

My current skis are Head iSupershape Rally (77mm) at 177cm for hard snow and Dynastar Outland 87 (87mm) at 178cm for softer snow and crud.  Each does a good job for what they are designed.  If I skied deep and light powder I would have something much wider and rockered to boot.  I have to laugh when I see skiers in the Midwest skiing a wide rockered ski on hard pack.

 

Just my opinion.

 

Bill

post #28 of 28

I'm  part time. Does that count. It's kind of hard to ski during the Summer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How many skiers in the world?