or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to go?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

My wife and I are planning a ski trip out west.  We normally ski N.H.

This might be a one-shot-deal, so we would like to get the most bang for our buck.  We know the skiing will be great, but we also want to experience the local city life.

We've narrowed it downed to two.

PARK CITY, UTAH

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS CO.

Where should we go???

post #2 of 17
Park City. More variety.

You're fooling yourselves if you think it's a one shot deal. You'll be so spoiled, you'll be back West every year.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Park City. More variety.

You're fooling yourselves if you think it's a one shot deal. You'll be so spoiled, you'll be back West every year.

 

 

Seriously?

http://www.epicski.com/t/121382/this-sounds-messy-park-city-mountain-resort-receives-eviction-notice

 

I think I'd wait for the dust to settle first.

post #4 of 17
They'll still have Deer Valley and The Canyons. And my bet is on Park City being open in some way. There is bus service from town even if it's not.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

They'll still have Deer Valley and The Canyons. And my bet is on Park City being open in some way. There is bus service from town even if it's not.

 

 

It will be a complete shitshow,  if PCMR doesn't open.  Yes, it probably will open.  But why gamble on your one shot deal?

 

They'll be giving away lodging in town, if PCMR doesn't open and I see zero upside to booking PC now.

post #6 of 17

Outside of CO, I have the most days at PCMR. I know it well.

I would vote Steamboat. Higher quality / quantity snowfall, better fall line skiing (PC is alot of lateral ridges where lifts run diagonally) and ridiculously good glade terrain.

Also, PC might dismantle three quarters of the mountain this summer...

post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joncinw View Post
 

My wife and I are planning a ski trip out west.  We normally ski N.H.

This might be a one-shot-deal, so we would like to get the most bang for our buck.  We know the skiing will be great, but we also want to experience the local city life.

We've narrowed it downed to two.

PARK CITY, UTAH

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS CO.

Where should we go???

Welcome to EpicSki!  Would help a lot to know what month you are thinking of going and how long you can stay.  Do you really mean "city life" as in Boston or ski town as in Stowe.

post #8 of 17

Here's an account of the fun stuff you can do on vacation at Steamboat:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/1330

post #9 of 17
For one of the longest threads in recent memory that is about a New England skier heading out West, try this: http://www.epicski.com/t/122287/does-it-make-any-sense-for-an-intermediate-new-england-groomer-skier-to-venture-somewhere-out-west/0_10

I'm sure every resort in the West made a showing. Short version. He was talked into Steamboat. Mixed success.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Would help a lot to know what month you are thinking of going and how long you can stay.  

Also what level of skiers.

 

Steamboat in January is what I would recommend based upon the limited info the OP has provided so far. 

 

There is no reason to be nailing down this trip now.  I would expect the status of PCMR for the upcoming winter to be clarified by August/September.  So at a minimum wait until then.  If PCMR is going to be closed or status is still uncertain this fall, then you know to rule it out.

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

For one of the longest threads in recent memory that is about a New England skier heading out West, try this: http://www.epicski.com/t/122287/does-it-make-any-sense-for-an-intermediate-new-england-groomer-skier-to-venture-somewhere-out-west/0_10

I'm sure every resort in the West made a showing. Short version. He was talked into Steamboat. Mixed success.

A bump of that thread is in order....but there is some excellent, excellent advice in there.

post #12 of 17

In the interest of Park City, 

Here is the latest. 

http://fox13now.com/2014/06/19/judge-grants-eviction-of-park-city-mountain-resort/

 

According to that article, the Judge has set eviction for August 2015.  This ski season should be safe. 

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

In the interest of Park City, 

Here is the latest. 

http://fox13now.com/2014/06/19/judge-grants-eviction-of-park-city-mountain-resort/

 

According to that article, the Judge has set eviction for August 2015.  This ski season should be safe. 


Thanks for the link Trekchick.  I could be wrong, but the way I read it the eviction will be enforced on 27 Aug. 2014.  I'm not sure if that means they're evicted that day or 60 days after that.  The mediation deadline is a few week earlier 15 Aug 2014.

 

If I'm right in my reading, the season is still in question.

post #14 of 17

I agree that the season is still in question since the eviction only applies to PCMR's squatting on Talisker-owned land and has nothing do with PCMR on PCMR-owned land.  In order for the resort to remain intact, an agreement between the two parties will need to be made.  If not, the season may be lost.

post #15 of 17
Quote:


Park City Mountain Resort
(Updated: 1:30 p.m. (MT) June 19, 2014)

A Utah district court judge gave Powdr Corp. and Park City Mountain Resort a reprieve from an eviction notice until a hearing on Aug. 27, and he ordered parties in this contentious lease dispute to attempt a third-party mediation of the lawsuit by Aug. 15.

The June 19 decision by Judge Ryan Harris is seen as a short-term victory for PCMR and its parent Powdr Corp., who were facing a 60-day eviction from some 3,000 acres it has leased from neighbor Talisker/Canyon Resorts for the last 40 years. Vail Resorts, which signed a long-term operating lease with Talisker last year, is handling the litigation.

“Park City Mountain Resort is gratified that Judge Harris stayed Vail Resort's eviction order at least until another hearing now scheduled for late August and directed the parties to mediate disputed issues,” said Powdr’s attorney Alan Sullivan in a statement sent to SnoCountry.com. “These rulings will help ensure minimal disruption to the Park City community while the parties try to resolve the case and surrounding issues so that the 2014-2015 season will proceed business as usual.”

Vail Resorts’ attorney has not yet responded to SnoCountry’s request for a comment.

This delay in any decision on an eviction – plus Powdr Corp.’s insistence upon an appeal of any adverse ruling – appears to assure that the 2014-2015 winter season at the Wasatch Mountain resort will go forth as planned.


http://www.snocountry.com/snonews/ski-resort-news/snonews-featured-stories/entry/judge-signs-eviction-notice-for-park-city-mountain-resort-but-orders-mediation
post #16 of 17
Quote:
According to that article, the Judge has set eviction for August 2015.  This ski season should be safe. 

No, the eviction notice has been stayed to Aug. 27, 2014 with mediation required by August 15.  If the mediation fails, the uncertainty for the 2014-15 season remains.  The advice I gave yesterday is even more clear after the ruling.

Quote:
I would expect the status of PCMR for the upcoming winter to be clarified by August/September.  So at a minimum wait until then.  If PCMR is going to be closed or status is still uncertain this fall, then you know to rule it out.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

No, the eviction notice has been stayed to Aug. 27, 2014 with mediation required by August 15.  If the mediation fails, the uncertainty for the 2014-15 season remains.  The advice I gave yesterday is even more clear after the ruling.

It is worth factoring in that the owner of the ski lifts who 'may' have to leave the land can most likely take some of the lift equipment. and other stuff when he leaves. Although it may not make good financial sense for him to do so he has a reported worth in the region of 5 billion so can afford it.

 

I would only book Park City AFTER the season is open and lifts are running. Even then I would buy my passes day by day. No season pass for this kid.

 

So IXNAY Park City and book Steamboat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel