Hey everyone, new to the site but I figured this was the best place to get some opinions where I should move to.
Some background: My girlfriend and I currently live the in the Washington, DC area. She is finishing her doctorate in Nurse Anesthesiology and I work in organic waste management. We are looking to move together when she graduates in about a year, and I would like to go somewhere where there is decent to good skiing. I love DC but the one thing I miss is snow, and now that we are getting a bit older (me almost 30, her late 20's) the need to be in an urban environment is not as important. So, here are the requirement for a new place to live, I am open to all suggestions.
1. Colorado is OUT. Laws for CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesiologist) are poor and her finding a job would be very difficult.
2. No further south than DC area. I am from Canada and the hot summers are very difficult for me.
3. Staying in the United States. I can work from home and she will be looking or a job, so location is very flexible.
4. Reasonable real estate prices. $750,000 for a townhouse in DC suburbs is a bit hard to swallow, but we will have a healthy combined income ($200-$300k/year).
5. Family in Portland OR, Phoenix, AZ, and St. Louis, MO. Closer would be nice but not required.
6. Mountain with power would be nice. I grew up near small/medium sized mountains and she needs to improve her skiing.
7. Tons of friends in DC area, would like to be able to come back easily. Does not mean close, but on an airline route that will not break the bank or have multiple layovers.
8. Decent sized metro area would be nice. Not looking for the big city, but a nice downtown with shops, dining, and culture would be nice.
I know this is an impossible list to fill, but I am trying to get some opinions to see how close I can get to the perfect location.
Except that Boulder is in Colorado, unless they moved it when I wasn't looking.