I'm heading up to Mt Hotham this year to work a season. I think it makes more sense economically to purchase mid-range skis, instead of renting them for about $200 per week. I don't currently own skis, so I'm after a set that will suit me for general alpine purposes.
Answers to the key questions:
1. Where in the world are you skiing?
At the moment, Australia, but I also want to ski often in Canada and Japan.
2. What kinds of terrain do you prefer (groomed runs, moguls, race course, park'n'pipe, trees, steeps, backcountry/sidecountry)?
Mainly groomed runs.
3. How many days a year do you ski?
I'm fairly new, but plan to do at least two weeks a year onwards (as well as working a season in Canada over this Christmas).
4. How advanced are you as a skier?
I'm an intermediate (can handle basically all black and blue runs at Furano, Japan, not sure how they compare to worldwide run rankings); I'm getting better rapidly so want skis that will allow improvement.
5. What's your height and weight?
Any advice? Specific dimensions/style/model/brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated so I can do some research!