or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vail in July

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I'm heading to Vail at the end of July for a week with my family and in-laws.  Any suggestions on things to do?  Plan on horse back riding, rafting and possibly mountain biking.  My kids are 7 and 9 so need to find some kid friendly activities.  Thanks.

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by voghan View Post
 

I'm heading to Vail at the end of July for a week with my family and in-laws.  Any suggestions on things to do?  Plan on horse back riding, rafting and possibly mountain biking.  My kids are 7 and 9 so need to find some kid friendly activities.  Thanks.

Which days? (I am usually there the last weekend of July because there is a large 3v3 soccer tournament that takes place Fri-Sun; expect  Vail to be full of soccer kids and teenagers.)

 

There is a lot to do all summer ... you can ride up the gondola and do several things on the mountain, I think it's called Adventure Ridge. 

 

Check out 4eagleranch.com for riding, zipline, rodeo, etc. It's in Wolcott, which is a few miles up the road to the west. I like getting out through the Avon/Edwards area, the landscape really starts to change.  

 

Every Sunday is a great farmer's market in the village. And there are always great concerts, whether in Vail or over in Beaver Creek at the Vilar. 

 

I love to sit on the deck at Pepi's and have a pilsner and some cheese and dried meat (sometimes even wienerschnitzel), and watch people go by.

post #3 of 12
There are also really nice playgrounds at each village and points in between, great for your kids' ages. Walks along the river to those destinations will tire young legs. Definitely the gondola up to Adventure Ridge (gondola is not free). The botanical garden is nice, too. That mostly isn't big stuff compared to rafting, etc., but all walking distance filler activity.

The kids can also play in the fountain while you have that pils at Pepi's smile.gif
post #4 of 12
There are lots of good hikes in the Vail area.
I know there is a book that gives you details of various hikes. I don't know the name but I'm sure google will lead you to it, if you are interested.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the info. We will be there July 19-26. Any deals on getting up the mountain? Adventure ridge looks cool but $36 a day just to get there is steep.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by voghan View Post

Thanks for the info. We will be there July 19-26. Any deals on getting up the mountain? Adventure ridge looks cool but $36 a day just to get there is steep.

lol, that was the part I meant to add but forgot: I've never actually gone to Adventure Ridge because it is stupid expensive to ride the gondy. Actually, a long time ago, they would let you ride for free with a season pass, and we did go up, but I don't think they were done building all the stuff. I seem to remember my son driving some go-carts or something like that? Anyway ... I don't know. Best deals are usually found with lodging. 

post #7 of 12

You could drive 20 mins over the pass to Copper to ride up the mountain and for kids activities.  The chairlift ride is free for adults if you spend $10, always free for kids, and arguably better views than Vail.  The summer activities are a blast for your age kids at Copper:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/events_and_activities/summer_activities/copper_summer_activities

 

If you spend $40 on Fridays you'll get a free activities pass:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/events_and_activities/calendar/966920011

 

Go over on a weekday and your kids will pretty much have the place to themselves.  Just avoid the days with events on the calendar when the village is packed:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/events_and_activities/calendar/@@index.html

post #8 of 12

Speaking of driving.... if you are up for a scenic drive, I'd think about doing the loop to Aspen over Independence Pass and back through Glenwood Canyon.   It's an gorgeous drive, and you could spend the day in Aspen, hit the hot springs pool in Glenwood on the way home, then drive through Glenwood canyon at dusk.  Probably about 2 hours each way to Aspen if you are up for a road trip.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

You could drive 20 mins over the pass to Copper to ride up the mountain and for kids activities.  The chairlift ride is free for adults if you spend $10, always free for kids, and arguably better views than Vail.  The summer activities are a blast for your age kids at Copper:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/events_and_activities/summer_activities/copper_summer_activities

 

If you spend $40 on Fridays you'll get a free activities pass:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/events_and_activities/calendar/966920011

 

Go over on a weekday and your kids will pretty much have the place to themselves.  Just avoid the days with events on the calendar when the village is packed:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer/events_and_activities/calendar/@@index.html

Cooper looks nice but it's a three hour drive from Vail.  We are staying at a family member's condo in Vail.  

post #10 of 12

Copper, not Cooper.  Copper is only 30 minutes from Vail.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks.. i'm an idiot.  

post #12 of 12

Vail is my family's favorite resort. Do not worry about what to do, you can figure it out right there. Every concierge has information about activities but you will realize that you can take it easy and have a lot of fun. There is a mountain lake on the other side of the freeway (40 min drive) where you can hike to a waterfall, canoe, fish, eat,  just enjoy the nature. Front mountain has a few activities and they build several attractions that your kids might enjoy. You cannot get wrong with Vail and you do not need to prepare in advance (unless you want to bring your canoe). Get a bike and ride the valley, it will take you several days to enjoy everything Vail has to offer. Teach your kids golf and you can justify the time spent to the course. (to your wife in case she does not golf)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel