or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Upgrading from 2011-12 Marker Baron?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading from 2011-12 Marker Baron?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm going to be getting some Soul 7's for the Southern hemisphere winter, and I was initially planning on mounting my 2011-12 Marker Barons to them. Before I do though, would I see any noticeable improvement by going to the latest model Baron, or perhaps the F12 or even the Salomon Guardian? I don't want to spend money for the sake of it, but if I'm going to get a beneficial improvement I may as well make the change now. Sorry, I don't really keep up to date with the latest tech hence my question.

I use the AT feature to skin the local ski field before work and a bit of slack country, but no real touring. I'm an Intermediate/advanced skier, 185lbs.
post #2 of 13

FYI, the new Baron EPF has a wider footprint and is arguably better at handling the torque that a wider ski puts on a ski boot-binding combo.  It may result in a stiffer connection.

 

The Tour 12 is a lighter, albeit less beefy binding, and does not have the wider footprint.  It will not provide as rigid a connection with the ski as the baron will.

 

The Salomon Guardian/Atomic Tracker is not compatible with AT boots, as it does not feature a sliding AFD.

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacobillie View Post
 

FYI, the new Baron EPF has a wider footprint and is arguably better at handling the torque that a wider ski puts on a ski boot-binding combo.  It may result in a stiffer connection.

 

The Tour 12 is a lighter, albeit less beefy binding, and does not have the wider footprint.  It will not provide as rigid a connection with the ski as the baron will.

 

The Salomon Guardian/Atomic Tracker is not compatible with AT boots, as it does not feature a sliding AFD.

 

Whether the AFD's slides or not makes no difference in which boots are compatible. The Guardians do have an adjustable AFD, which allows them to be compatible with ISO 9523 certified AT boots and your standard alpine soles.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
 

 

Whether the AFD's slides or not makes no difference in which boots are compatible. The Guardians do have an adjustable AFD, which allows them to be compatible with ISO 9523 certified AT boots and your standard alpine soles.

Not talking about toe height adjustment, but about the fact that a Vibram AT boot sole may not release properly when used with a non-sliding AFD.  Even Salomon recommends against using their binding with Vibram type AT boot soles.  

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacobillie View Post
 

Not talking about toe height adjustment, but about the fact that a Vibram AT boot sole may not release properly when used with a non-sliding AFD.  Even Salomon recommends against using their binding with Vibram type AT boot soles.  

 

Well there is a difference between not recommended and not compatible. Your first post made it sound like any AT boot will not work with the Tracker/Guardians, thats not the case, and I think you knew that. It may not be recommended as the boot has the potential not to release as well compared to a regular DIN sole, but they will in fact still fit into the bindings themselves.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
 

 

Well there is a difference between not recommended and not compatible. Your first post made it sound like any AT boot will not work with the Tracker/Guardians, thats not the case, and I think you knew that. It may not be recommended as the boot has the potential not to release as well compared to a regular DIN sole, but they will in fact still fit into the bindings themselves.

ACLs and other lower leg parts are costly to replace and take a long time to heal.  Do you really want to ski with a binding that may not release properly, just because it fits your boot sole.  But yes, on that count, you are indeed correct and I am wrong.  So, be my guest and put your health at risk, just to make a point!

post #7 of 13
He's in Australia. They have universal coverage. smile.gif

I'm more a fan of the Tyrolia Adrenaline binding.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

He's in Australia. They have universal coverage. smile.gif
 

 

Just like a Canadian is from America.......

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirider007 View Post

I'm going to be getting some Soul 7's for the Southern hemisphere winter, and I was initially planning on mounting my 2011-12 Marker Barons to them. Before I do though, would I see any noticeable improvement by going to the latest model Baron, or perhaps the F12 or even the Salomon Guardian? I don't want to spend money for the sake of it, but if I'm going to get a beneficial improvement I may as well make the change now.

 

Your old Barons will be fine unless you want to save some weight; then look at the F10 or F12.  Unless you really want to save some weight and that means tech (Dynafit).

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Great, thanks for your helps guys.

I ended up getting a new set of Baron's mounted. Not because of any performance benefit really, more that I'm going to be able to sell my old set up eiasier with bindings/skins included and I may as well have newer bindings if it doesn't cost me any more.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
 

 

Just like a Canadian is from America.......

Even with universal health care, knees are still a tough commodity to replace.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
 

 

Well there is a difference between not recommended and not compatible. Your first post made it sound like any AT boot will not work with the Tracker/Guardians, thats not the case, and I think you knew that. It may not be recommended as the boot has the potential not to release as well compared to a regular DIN sole, but they will in fact still fit into the bindings themselves.

Ummm...sure.  And you can jam rockered touring boot soles into all kinds of regular alpine bindings.  I'd rather not.  There's been lots of discussion and some testing of rockered vibram-style touring boot soles into the Guardians.  It's not recommended by Salomon, and real world testing seems to confirm that it doesn't work well unless you take a belt grinder to the boot soles.  

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/follow-up-atomic-tracker-16-salomon-guardian-16-at-binding

 

And more on wildsnow.com and TGR that I can't be bothered to search for.

 

Good luck with your knees everyone!

-Bruce (yes, I get free knee surgery in Canada, no, I don't want another knee surgery...)

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreBruce View Post
 

Ummm...sure.  And you can jam rockered touring boot soles into all kinds of regular alpine bindings.  I'd rather not.  There's been lots of discussion and some testing of rockered vibram-style touring boot soles into the Guardians.  It's not recommended by Salomon, and real world testing seems to confirm that it doesn't work well unless you take a belt grinder to the boot soles.  

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/follow-up-atomic-tracker-16-salomon-guardian-16-at-binding

 

And more on wildsnow.com and TGR that I can't be bothered to search for.

 

Good luck with your knees everyone!

-Bruce (yes, I get free knee surgery in Canada, no, I don't want another knee surgery...)

 

All I said is that they are compatible with ISO 9523 soles, which is true. Other then regular alpine soles and ISO 9523, they have the potential not to release when they should, I didn't say you should try it anyways, I don't encourage it nor care for that matter what other people do.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Upgrading from 2011-12 Marker Baron?