or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help with skis for wife
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with skis for wife

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

On a separate, but very related topic--I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of GORSUCH demo Kastle skis for my wife (they do not have my size).  

 

What do folks think about MX88 vs MX83 and size?

 

She is tall but fit and as a result, we end up hearing different advice for ski sizing.  Some put her a long ski because of her height (5'10") and others put her on a shorter ski because of her lighter weight (145 lbs, fit, muscle).  Technically she is a sound skier, but is very conservative, able to ski everywhere when conditions are consistent.  When conditions are variable, she backs way, way off.  She has become more and more conservative over the past few years.  She will be 40 next winter.  

 

I dont want to get her a ski that would be too much for her, but rather one that would give her confidence.  Not sure if either of these would do this or if I should just look elsewhere.  Seems like a great deal, but only if the fit is right.  As for demoing, it will never, ever happen.  If I didn't just buy her these, she would never replace her gear, much less spend a day testing skis out.  : )

 

So, do you think these would be ok for my wife, and if so, which would you recomend?

 

 

They have the MX83s in a 163 and 173

http://www.gorsuch.com/product/demo+mx83+with+bindings.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

 

and they have the MX88s in a 158.

http://www.gorsuch.com/product/demo+mx88+w-+bindings.do?sortby=ourPicks

 

 

Thanks again!

 

In the meantime, my search for a pair of MX88s at 178 (for me) continues....

 

MARider

 

EDIT: I moved this question to it's own thread because it is a topic unto itself and will help MARider better. 

post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

On a separate, but very related topic--I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of GORSUCH demo Kastle skis for my wife (they do not have my size).  

 

What do folks think about MX88 vs MX83 and size?

 

She is tall but fit and as a result, we end up hearing different advice for ski sizing.  Some put her a long ski because of her height (5'10") and others put her on a shorter ski because of her lighter weight (145 lbs, fit, muscle).  Technically she is a sound skier, but is very conservative, able to ski everywhere when conditions are consistent.  When conditions are variable, she backs way, way off.  She has become more and more conservative over the past few years.  She will be 40 next winter.  

 

I dont want to get her a ski that would be too much for her, but rather one that would give her confidence.  Not sure if either of these would do this or if I should just look elsewhere.  Seems like a great deal, but only if the fit is right.  As for demoing, it will never, ever happen.  If I didn't just buy her these, she would never replace her gear, much less spend a day testing skis out.  : )

 

So, do you think these would be ok for my wife, and if so, which would you recomend?

 

 

They have the MX83s in a 163 and 173

http://www.gorsuch.com/product/demo+mx83+with+bindings.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

 

and they have the MX88s in a 158.

http://www.gorsuch.com/product/demo+mx88+w-+bindings.do?sortby=ourPicks

 

 

Thanks again!

 

In the meantime, my search for a pair of MX88s at 178 (for me) continues....

 

MARider

Sounds like an MX is more than she would want. If you MUST have a Kastle for her, I would say the LX or FX would be a better option and she will have more fun on either a FX84 or LX82. 

post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

On a separate, but very related topic--I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of GORSUCH demo Kastle skis for my wife (they do not have my size).  

 

What do folks think about MX88 vs MX83 and size?

 

She is tall but fit and as a result, we end up hearing different advice for ski sizing.  Some put her a long ski because of her height (5'10") and others put her on a shorter ski because of her lighter weight (145 lbs, fit, muscle).  Technically she is a sound skier, but is very conservative, able to ski everywhere when conditions are consistent.  When conditions are variable, she backs way, way off.  She has become more and more conservative over the past few years.  She will be 40 next winter.  

 

I dont want to get her a ski that would be too much for her, but rather one that would give her confidence.  Not sure if either of these would do this or if I should just look elsewhere.  Seems like a great deal, but only if the fit is right.  As for demoing, it will never, ever happen.  If I didn't just buy her these, she would never replace her gear, much less spend a day testing skis out.  : )

 

So, do you think these would be ok for my wife, and if so, which would you recomend?

 

 

They have the MX83s in a 163 and 173

http://www.gorsuch.com/product/demo+mx83+with+bindings.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=

 

and they have the MX88s in a 158.

http://www.gorsuch.com/product/demo+mx88+w-+bindings.do?sortby=ourPicks

 

 

Thanks again!

 

In the meantime, my search for a pair of MX88s at 178 (for me) continues....

 

MARider

 

Don't get the 158s or 163s for certain.  Too short will just make her timid because she won't have any fore-aft support. I think Phil is right, MX is not quite right. What does she ski on now? When she was on longer or shorter skis, did she like or not like them?

post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

Sounds like an MX is more than she would want. If you MUST have a Kastle for her, I would say the LX or FX would be a better option and she will have more fun on either a FX84 or LX82. 

Thanks!  A Kastle isnt a must.  I am looking for a wider ski (she is on an older pair of tweener race skis).  She struggles in the crud and her current narrow waist skis do not help.  I've been looking at the usual suspects for her in the 80-88 range.   I will look into the LX/FX line.

post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

Don't get the 158s or 163s for certain.  Too short will just make her timid because she won't have any fore-aft support. I think Phil is right, MX is not quite right. What does she ski on now? When she was on longer or shorter skis, did she like or not like them?

Ah--thanks.  She has been on the same, old pair of tweener race skis at a 177 for the past many years.  She hasn't been on a longer/shorter ski--that is just how she has been fit when we started shopping this past year.  Different opinions from different shops.

post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

Ah--thanks.  She has been on the same, old pair of tweener race skis at a 177 for the past many years.  She hasn't been on a longer/shorter ski--that is just how she has been fit when we started shopping this past year.  Different opinions from different shops.

 

ok, that is probably a little long at this point. I would aim for 170-ish. There are a ton of good options out there. (I am about the same size, I prefer 177 but sounds like I might ski a little more aggressively)

 

And yes, there are different opinions for sure. :-)

post #7 of 27

My wife is similar sounding to yours. An inch shorter and a pinch heavier. She was on an old pair of Salomon Pilot skis, 170 cm length for a while. I bought her a pair of used Head Monster 78mm skis in 170 cm length. She really liked them and her skiing improved a lot immediately. They fit her style and let her skills be translated into on snow performance. Her aggressive/timid mind set didn't change much, but over time it may. The skis have really good high speed performance that she doesn't really tap into, but even a low speeds they make a big difference compared to what she was on. It really helped her in skiing crud and spring snow, which is where she struggled with her old skis.

 

Of your choices above, the MX83 in 173 cm would be worth considering, IMHO. I would say no to the rest. I agree with Phil that the FX or LX lines would be a better fit, but if the price is right on the MX83 it would work. I have only demo'd an RX12 Kastle, and it seemed pretty user friendly to me. I don't think they are super stiff planks that turn at the least little twitch. They seem pretty damp and stable and accommodating. They have a high end performance that your wife will probably never tap into, but so what.  

post #8 of 27
Definitely size on length for tall and light. The LX82 in a 172cm could be money.

Which is too bad, because I also am selling my wife's LX82's wink.gif at your price point in a 164, but she's 5'7" and I agree that low 160's is too short for 5'10" especially wanting some crud versatility.

The LX should merit a good look. It's a two sheets of metal sandwich construction with a cosmetic cap design, so you get low swing weight but plenty of horsepower when you want it.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

On a separate, but very related topic--I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of GORSUCH demo Kastle skis for my wife (they do not have my size).  

 

What do folks think about MX88 vs MX83 and size?

 

She is tall but fit and as a result (YES SEG) , we end up hearing different advice for ski sizing.  Some put her a long ski because of her height (5'10") and others put her on a shorter ski because of her lighter weight (145 lbs, fit, muscle).(YES SEG)  Technically she is a sound skier, but is very conservative, able to ski everywhere when conditions are consistent.  When conditions are variable, she backs way, way off (NOT SEG).  She has become more and more conservative over the past few years.(NOT SEG)  She will be 40 next winter. (NOT CONFIRM NOR DENY SEG)

 

I dont want to get her a ski that would be too much for her, but rather one that would give her confidence.  Not sure if either of these would do this or if I should just look elsewhere.  Seems like a great deal, but only if the fit is right.  As for demoing, it will never, ever happen.  If I didn't just buy her these, she would never replace her gear, much less spend a day testing skis out.  : )

 

 

MARider

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

ok, that is probably a little long at this point. I would aim for 170-ish. There are a ton of good options out there. (I am about the same size, I prefer 177 but sounds like I might ski a little more aggressively)

 

And yes, there are different opinions for sure. :-)

AGREE here. based on comments above in RED BOLD. She needs a ski she can bend that will be compliant and give her confidence. @Trekchickto the white courtesy phone. she and @segbrown can help you help her. Are you just looking at leftover/used demos or the right ski for her? 

post #10 of 27

I agree with segbrown.  Something in the 170 isn range because of her weight and aggressiveness. 

 

The MX83 is a better choice between those two you ask about, but the FX84 or LX82 would be better.  Just my 2 cents. 

post #11 of 27

I would love to turn 40 next year! haha, never thought I would say that.....

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

I would love to turn 40 next year! haha, never thought I would say that.....

Don't rush it! Enjoy your thirties while you can. :D

post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

ok, that is probably a little long at this point. I would aim for 170-ish. There are a ton of good options out there. (I am about the same size, I prefer 177 but sounds like I might ski a little more aggressively)

 

And yes, there are different opinions for sure. :-)

 

Thanks!  She is funny--she doesn't think she skis well and will point to other "better" skier on the slopes.  Funny because my wife is actually very technically sound, but is not aggressive at all.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttocs View Post
 

My wife is similar sounding to yours. An inch shorter and a pinch heavier. She was on an old pair of Salomon Pilot skis, 170 cm length for a while. I bought her a pair of used Head Monster 78mm skis in 170 cm length. She really liked them and her skiing improved a lot immediately. They fit her style and let her skills be translated into on snow performance. Her aggressive/timid mind set didn't change much, but over time it may. The skis have really good high speed performance that she doesn't really tap into, but even a low speeds they make a big difference compared to what she was on. It really helped her in skiing crud and spring snow, which is where she struggled with her old skis.

 

Of your choices above, the MX83 in 173 cm would be worth considering, IMHO. I would say no to the rest. I agree with Phil that the FX or LX lines would be a better fit, but if the price is right on the MX83 it would work. I have only demo'd an RX12 Kastle, and it seemed pretty user friendly to me. I don't think they are super stiff planks that turn at the least little twitch. They seem pretty damp and stable and accommodating. They have a high end performance that your wife will probably never tap into, but so what.  

 

Great--thanks for the help!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayBreak View Post

Definitely size on length for tall and light. The LX82 in a 172cm could be money.

Which is too bad, because I also am selling my wife's LX82's wink.gif at your price point in a 164, but she's 5'7" and I agree that low 160's is too short for 5'10" especially wanting some crud versatility.

The LX should merit a good look. It's a two sheets of metal sandwich construction with a cosmetic cap design, so you get low swing weight but plenty of horsepower when you want it.

 

Ah--that is too bad : )  Nice to see an endorsement of the LXs as well. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

 

 

AGREE here. based on comments above in RED BOLD. She needs a ski she can bend that will be compliant and give her confidence. @Trekchickto the white courtesy phone. she and @segbrown can help you help her. Are you just looking at leftover/used demos or the right ski for her? 

 

Too funny!

 

As for the skis for her, I am trying to do both.  Get the best ski I can afford, hopefully by taking advantage of an end of the season sale, demo, or used ski that would be lower priced but also be a very good ski for her.  

post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I agree with segbrown.  Something in the 170 isn range because of her weight and aggressiveness. 

 

The MX83 is a better choice between those two you ask about, but the FX84 or LX82 would be better.  Just my 2 cents. 

 

 

Great--very helpful.  I will hunt around for a FX or LX in the 170ish range.  Anything else you might recommend?  

post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

 

 

Great--very helpful.  I will hunt around for a FX or LX in the 170ish range.  Anything else you might recommend?  

The LX82 would be in a   172

The FX84 would be a 168

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 

My local shop has a pair of Head Rev 85s and a pair of last year's Volkl Charismas in her size both at very good prices.  Any thoughts on either of these skis with respect to my wife?

 

 

I never filled this out for her (sorry about that--I just saw it now):

 

Where in the world are you skiing:  New Hampshire (Cannon, Wildcat, etc.)

What kinds of terrain do you prefer: Groomed (75%), trees (when there is enough snow in the woods), steeps.  

How many days a year do you ski:  Almost every weekend, but never full days (we have a one year old so we swap back and forth : )

How advanced are you as a skier:  Advanced but conservative (I wont say slow....shhh...)  Skis most blacks when conditions are consistent.

What's your height and weight: She is 5'10", 145, very fit.

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

My local shop has a pair of Head Rev 85s and a pair of last year's Volkl Charismas in her size both at very good prices.  Any thoughts on either of these skis with respect to my wife?

 

 

 

I haven't skied the Volkls, but I think I would still choose the Head. That's a great ski. 170? 

post #18 of 27
Um, uh, I might have a pair of LX 92s to sell @ 174cm. Not pushing; just saying. Honestly she'd probably be better off with one of the mid 80s skis mentioned, but just in case she liked the idea of longer length and softer flex for tall skinny girl...
post #19 of 27

Hi MaRider:

 

Good luck with your ski search for your wife.  Since you are a Cannon regular, I'm going to add a suggestion:  Cannon has a season long women's group (two in fact, set by ability), that the participants can come in and out of as their schedule permits - you don't have to be there all the time if other needs prevail.  It is really popular, a very supportive group of women getting better together.  One group goes out in the morning, another in the afternoon. 

 

I mention this because I have a dear friend who more or less fit the description of your wife in terms of ability and aggression, and about the same age.  She skied with the group over two seasons, had a blast.  Her confidence skyrocketed and now she is the skier she never thought she would be.  She skis everything at Cannon now.  Yes, that includes Avalanche.  I've known her for about 15 years of skiing and know what she was then and what she is now. 

 

Randy Trainor has been leading the groups the last few seasons along with Donna Kaye Erwin.  They are both fantastic, and I expect they will be doing them next winter.

 

I hope that is helpful.

post #20 of 27
^^^^@qcanoe was hoping you'd post if you still had the 92's, seems a good option here.

A bit pricey on these, but 9/10 from Powder7 will be pretty mint. A decent baseline for your search, anyway.

http://www.powder7.com/Kastle-LX82-Skis-172cm-Used-2014/for-sale
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

I haven't skied the Volkls, but I think I would still choose the Head. That's a great ski. 170? 

 

Yup--170s.  They are not this year's model but last year's.  But they only have one pair, in her size at 170 and the price is $350, bindings included.  Seems like a great deal, but I know nothing of these skis.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

Um, uh, I might have a pair of LX 92s to sell @ 174cm. Not pushing; just saying. Honestly she'd probably be better off with one of the mid 80s skis mentioned, but just in case she liked the idea of longer length and softer flex for tall skinny girl...

 

I think the 92s, as you say, might be a bit much.  Her current skis are 65s!  Lol.  But very tempting!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
 

Hi MaRider:

 

Good luck with your ski search for your wife.  Since you are a Cannon regular, I'm going to add a suggestion:  Cannon has a season long women's group (two in fact, set by ability), that the participants can come in and out of as their schedule permits - you don't have to be there all the time if other needs prevail.  It is really popular, a very supportive group of women getting better together.  One group goes out in the morning, another in the afternoon. 

 

I mention this because I have a dear friend who more or less fit the description of your wife in terms of ability and aggression, and about the same age.  She skied with the group over two seasons, had a blast.  Her confidence skyrocketed and now she is the skier she never thought she would be.  She skis everything at Cannon now.  Yes, that includes Avalanche.  I've known her for about 15 years of skiing and know what she was then and what she is now. 

 

Randy Trainor has been leading the groups the last few seasons along with Donna Kaye Erwin.  They are both fantastic, and I expect they will be doing them next winter.

 

I hope that is helpful.

That sounds like a great program and something I bet she would like.  We are only there these days on the weekends our children are not racing (they are racing at three different levels so we are all over the place on weekends--crazy but fun!)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayBreak View Post

^^^^@qcanoe was hoping you'd post if you still had the 92's, seems a good option here.

A bit pricey on these, but 9/10 from Powder7 will be pretty mint. A decent baseline for your search, anyway.

http://www.powder7.com/Kastle-LX82-Skis-172cm-Used-2014/for-sale

 

Those are very nice and the 9/10 is appealing as you say,  I will keep hunting for something lower priced/better fit maybe in the mean time.  

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

I haven't skied the Volkls, but I think I would still choose the Head. That's a great ski. 170? 

I have skied the Volkl and think the Head Rev 85 is a better ski for her.   I think they'd be a great option for what you're looking for. 

post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I have skied the Volkl and think the Head Rev 85 is a better ski for her.   I think they'd be a great option for what you're looking for. 

I just called the shop and gave them a credit card!  Glad to hear you like this ski---I think she will like it.  And it seems like a got a fair price too.  Now I can go back to focusing on finding skis for me!:o

 

Thanks for everyone's help!

MARider

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

I just called the shop and gave them a credit card!  Glad to hear you like this ski---I think she will like it.  And it seems like a got a fair price too.  Now I can go back to focusing on finding skis for me!:o

 

Thanks for everyone's help!

MARider

Good call on a very good ski..on a ski that comes out of the same factory as the Kastle. IMHO a better ski for her than any of the MX's that you were originally considering. 

post #25 of 27

Late to the game here, but I think Phil is right on the money there ^

post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

Good call on a very good ski..on a ski that comes out of the same factory as the Kastle. IMHO a better ski for her than any of the MX's that you were originally considering. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
 

Late to the game here, but I think Phil is right on the money there ^

 

 

Thanks!  Great to hear.  You always have that dreaded "did I make a bad decision" after a purchase like this.  I am actually going to hide these and give them to her, from my kids, for xmas.  I think my kids will be as excited, if not more so, than my wife!  Now I just need a good place to hide them for the next 7 months :) 

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARider View Post
 

 

 

 

Thanks!  Great to hear.  You always have that dreaded "did I make a bad decision" after a purchase like this.  I am actually going to hide these and give them to her, from my kids, for xmas.  I think my kids will be as excited, if not more so, than my wife!  Now I just need a good place to hide them for the next 7 months :) 

It's what we are good at....helping others spend money. :p 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Help with skis for wife