or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Choosing tires is as scary as trying to get the right skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Choosing tires is as scary as trying to get the right skis - Page 3

post #61 of 82

What's scary is that some of these tires cost less than what I am putting on my bicycle.

post #62 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

What's scary is that some of these tires cost less than what I am putting on my bicycle.

Thats because some of these cars cost less than what your bike is worth.

post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

What's scary is that some of these tires cost less than what I am putting on my bicycle.

Thats because some of these cars cost less than what your bike is worth.

 

I can't tell whether he means it's scary because, objectively speaking, it does seem a bit demented to spend big bucks on a bicycle tire (guilty!); or whether he means it's scary because more significant safety matters - for you and others - are riding on a car tire, so if they are making them at a price point that is lower than that of a good bike tire, how safe can they be, really?

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
 

 

I can't tell whether he means it's scary because, objectively speaking, it does seem a bit demented to spend big bucks on a bicycle tire (guilty!); or whether he means it's scary because more significant safety matters - for you and others - are riding on a car tire, so if they are making them at a price point that is lower than that of a good bike tire, how safe can they be, really?

 

They keep saying that bike tire prices are going up because of the cost of rubber going up. It can't be that big a part of the cost if a 2 lb bike tire costs more than a 20 lb car tire. It's just kind of sad that I'll balk at paying $800 for car tires, but get excited about spending $200 on bike tires.

post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
 

Consumer Reports:

 

(removed due to a subscription based publications)

 

For those looking for the Consumer Reports tire testing, you can access it for $6.95.  Well worth it if you are actually shopping for tires.

post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

Consumer Reports:

(removed due to a subscription based publications)

For those looking for the Consumer Reports tire testing, you can access it for $6.95.  Well worth it if you are actually shopping for tires.

Or just PM me instead - I'll give it to you for free. Because that's the kind of guy I am.
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post


Or just PM me instead - I'll give it to you for free. Because that's the kind of guy I am.

 

Users who share copyrighted files without permission break the law in two ways:

  • by copying files for other users: Under the Copyright Act, private copying of copyrighted music is legal: this is limited to making a single copy of a musical work for your own personal use. There is no private copying exception for movies, software, or non-musical sound recordings. File sharing does not count as "private copying" because you are making a copy of something for someone else's use when you make it available to be downloaded.
  • by sharing with other users: The basic principle of “file sharing” is sharing; other people provide us with access to their files and we give others access to ours. However, it is a violation of the Copyright Act to open to public access works that are protected by copyright because the copies are no longer “strictly for personal use”. Damages for this type of offence are between $500 and $20,000.
post #68 of 82
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
 

 

They keep saying that bike tire prices are going up because of the cost of rubber going up. It can't be that big a part of the cost if a 2 lb bike tire costs more than a 20 lb car tire. It's just kind of sad that I'll balk at paying $800 for car tires, but get excited about spending $200 on bike tires.


I always try to find wire-bead tires for the bike..cheaper..

post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post
 

 

Users who share copyrighted files without permission break the law in two ways:

  • by copying files for other users: Under the Copyright Act, private copying of copyrighted music is legal: this is limited to making a single copy of a musical work for your own personal use. There is no private copying exception for movies, software, or non-musical sound recordings. File sharing does not count as "private copying" because you are making a copy of something for someone else's use when you make it available to be downloaded.
  • by sharing with other users: The basic principle of “file sharing” is sharing; other people provide us with access to their files and we give others access to ours. However, it is a violation of the Copyright Act to open to public access works that are protected by copyright because the copies are no longer “strictly for personal use”. Damages for this type of offence are between $500 and $20,000.

 

post #71 of 82
@Eagles Pdx you've made your point. The Moderators removed the link.  Its time to move on.  That's my polite way of staying - Stop It!!
post #72 of 82

On the TDI wagon I had OEM Continentals and got just around 60k miles on them, switched to the DWS Extremes about 55K going to try the new ones with the higher mileage rating and see what they do on the next change coming shortly.

 

I agree, they are a little noiser, but handling is good in most conditions.

 

Biggest secret with VW's is rotation or else you got lots of wear.

 

Good luck.

post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post

 

Biggest secret with VW's is rotation or else you got lots of wear.

 

 

This is true.  Tire rotation is important especially on front drive cars.  I have to laugh when I see some people with nearly bald tires on the front with badly stained front rims and you just know they've never had the wheels off the car since it was bought!

post #74 of 82

Just put a set of  Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 (z rated)  on the TT Quattro to replace Pirelli P Zero Neros a/s this morning. A lot quieter drive home and they felt very responsive.. 

 

Time will tell on how long they last but if your interested Michelin is currently offering a 70k warrenty valid even on their softer high performance rated tires. Dependent on 10k tire rotations and all 4 tires being the same size in order to qualify. (sorry Porche)  Good warranty to have as it would suck to have to pay that much for tires every 35k.  

 

Michelin claims to have the highest rating for wet/dry performance,  Will see. The Pirelli's were fine on dry pavement but even a surprise overnight light dusting at Baker made getting out of the driveway tricky and they were not overly good in wet  The Michelins should be better on the wet track but I never intentionally drive that car in snow so hopefully I won't find out how they handle that.

post #75 of 82
Quote:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noncrazycanuck View Post
 

Just put a set of  Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 (z rated)  on the TT Quattro to replace Pirelli P Zero Neros a/s this morning. A lot quieter drive home and they felt very responsive..

 

Did you notice an immediate change in small angle (close to centered) wheel response?   I did, relative to both BF-Goodrich and Kumho; the Michelins were, well, either "more stable, less twitchy" or "deader, lifeless" (mostly depending on what mood I was in).

post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

I feel like such a newb. Yes I have an automotive background. I now have a new found understanding for the 'expert skier' who comes here asking for suggestions for skis. I would always think under my breath, you are an expert...you should know what you want or like. I will now take my crow with a cream sauce please.

 

I have said that tire are the most important safely feature on a car, it is what attaches you to the road but like many people, I don't pay as much attention to them as I used to. Yes, i have a quiver of tires. I am happy with the Blizzards I ran this season, but now it is time to replace the summer tires. I was not happy with my first two sets of tires I had on the TDI, Continentals and Yokohamas, both were noisy and neither wore well, both got about 25K out of them. I am not looking for rain performance, we get little of that in Reno but I do want good wear, 40-50K would be nice. Discount Tire and Tire Rack both have always treated my very well but like most ski shops, do not carry everything and all choices. I am not sure if I am actually asking "which tire is best for me?" or just ranting. Should I just go in and get what they suggest, they are the experts anyway and have not steered me wrong yet.

Since you don't care about rain much, Kumho ECSTA Platinum LX.  I got about 60k on mine.

 

Another good choice is Michelin Primacy MXM4, and it's LRR, for fuel economy.

post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 
Quote:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noncrazycanuck View Post
 

Just put a set of  Michelin pilot sport a/s 3 (z rated)  on the TT Quattro to replace Pirelli P Zero Neros a/s this morning. A lot quieter drive home and they felt very responsive..

 

 

Did you notice an immediate change in small angle (close to centered) wheel response?   I did, relative to both BF-Goodrich and Kumho; the Michelins were, well, either "more stable, less twitchy" or "deader, lifeless" (mostly depending on what mood I was in).


no chance to wind it out - just initial sound level was better and during a few high speed curves I made some inner s turns, Tires felt "rock solid". 

Hope/expect these to be good in the rain. That's needed in the PNW 

post #78 of 82

again as with others who have posted comments, if it's not too late I would like to suggest the  Nokian EnTyre as a good summer tire.

I run their full blown snow tires on my Outback in the winter and have the EnTyre on both my Outback and BRZ for summer driving.

post #79 of 82
Phil, back in the day I ran Michelin MXV4's on the civic, and my 98 and 00 Subaru GT wagons. They were a great all season tire. Even worked well in 12" of fresh snow and one icy Feb driving home from VT.

Currently lots of us on the legacy GT forum are running Conti's DWS at 40psi. seems to be a great all season tire.

Weight the cost/life if you can get DWs for half the cost of Michelins, you can have a new set before winter a few years out, and be better off tread wise and save the snowtires till there are really needed.

I'm currently still running my Blizzacks (4th winter) so I can save the DWS to get me through the summer. They have a little tread left after about 35,000+ miles but not enough to get into much of the snow season. I have some Brigstone Pole Positions in the basement ready to go on for next summer.

What do the guy's on the TDI forums say about tires ?

FWIW, I loved my old Michelin Aplin Pilot PA2's. They handled equal too if not better the Dunlop 101's summer only's I had. But they were $785 for 4 snow tires back in 2005.
post #80 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post

Phil, back in the day I ran Michelin MXV4's on the civic, and my 98 and 00 Subaru GT wagons. They were a great all season tire. Even worked well in 12" of fresh snow and one icy Feb driving home from VT.

Currently lots of us on the legacy GT forum are running Conti's DWS at 40psi. seems to be a great all season tire.

Weight the cost/life if you can get DWs for half the cost of Michelins, you can have a new set before winter a few years out, and be better off tread wise and save the snowtires till there are really needed.

I'm currently still running my Blizzacks (4th winter) so I can save the DWS to get me through the summer. They have a little tread left after about 35,000+ miles but not enough to get into much of the snow season. I have some Brigstone Pole Positions in the basement ready to go on for next summer.

What do the guy's on the TDI forums say about tires ?

FWIW, I loved my old Michelin Aplin Pilot PA2's. They handled equal too if not better the Dunlop 101's summer only's I had. But they were $785 for 4 snow tires back in 2005.

They are all over in the forums too. I went with the Pirelli's. I did have the DZ101's on one of my Miata's but wasn't blown away IIRC. I guess because I ha just had some Azenas which were fantastic. 

post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

They are all over in the forums too. I went with the Pirelli's. I did have the DZ101's on one of my Miata's but wasn't blown away IIRC. I guess because I ha just had some Azenas which were fantastic. 

 



Yes those Falken Azenas were a great tire. My son liked his Dunlop Star Specs he had on the S2K last year. But he just bought something different for this year. Kids.

Oh that's it, I think they are a Hankook tire.
post #82 of 82

I've got the Michelin MXV4's on our RWD G35.  They were the #1 tire on the consumer reports post that was removed.   They give up a bit in performance to the OEM Bridgstones, but they can actually go in the snow pretty well for an all-season.   All around they are a fantastic tire.

 

That car sits through most snowstorms, but made it home from Moab in a really bad March storm a couple years back.  I bought four bags of kitty litter to add weight to the trunk in Avon.    The stock high performance tires would have never even made it to Avon (where the real climbing starts).   With just an inch or two of snow there were many hills in Denver I couldn't get up with the OEM tires.   Tires matter more than the vehicle in the snow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Choosing tires is as scary as trying to get the right skis