or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What is your "break even" point for your season pass?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is your "break even" point for your season pass? - Page 5

post #121 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 

It's a bit tricky to calculate for Whistler, as the choice is between a season pass ($1,399 early bird price) and a 10 day EDGE card ($659) plus day tickets. It get's more complicated because you get free early season with the EDGE card (to December 15) and for $89 you get unlimited spring (March 24 to late May closing). Based on my distribution of ski days, the break-even is around 25-27 days. I didn't bother factoring in that some lift days could be $50 backcountry access lift tickets which would push the break-even out even further.

 

Add a third option - Mountain Collective Pass. For $379 that's 2 free days (at let's say $100 USD), then 50% off thereafter, so it's less than 6 days to recover the cost.

 

For next year, I've selected Whistler as my 3 day hill option on the new Mountain Collective plan, so it's barely 4 days to break even.

 

I was in late April and early May skiing for $31 / day using the half price system. Nice.

post #122 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

 

Add a third option - Mountain Collective Pass. For $379 that's 2 free days (at let's say $100 USD), then 50% off thereafter, so it's less than 6 days to recover the cost.

 

For next year, I've selected Whistler as my 3 day hill option on the new Mountain Collective plan, so it's barely 4 days to break even.

 

I was in late April and early May skiing for $31 / day using the half price system. Nice.

Yeah, the MCP is an interesting pass.  Because it is 50% off of the window rate, you have to make some decisions about when to use the "free" days.  I cancelled an early season trip to Aspen for other reasons, but I was contemplating not using my "free" days and buying at the window rate (around 50% of high season price).  

 

It gets a bit complicated...

 

Mike

post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

 

Add a third option - Mountain Collective Pass. For $379 that's 2 free days (at let's say $100 USD), then 50% off thereafter, so it's less than 6 days to recover the cost.

 

For next year, I've selected Whistler as my 3 day hill option on the new Mountain Collective plan, so it's barely 4 days to break even.

 

I was in late April and early May skiing for $31 / day using the half price system. Nice.

 

Hmm good point snofun. I hadn't even considered MCP since I have no plans to ski outside BC next year (although I do have friends in SLC I should visit at some point). Didn't realize subsequent days are 50%, a much bigger discount than EDGE. WIll run the numbers tomorrow.

post #124 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

For me, a pass is more than just a break even in costs. It is freedom, freedom to go and just get a few runs in and not worrying about buying a regular price ticket. Freedom to leave if I am either mentally in the mood to ski or the conditions are not what I expected and not worrying if I am out money. 

Pyjama days. Days I'm so unconvinced by what it looks like from my balcony that I just throw my ski clothes on over my pyjamas and take a lift up anyway, just in case. Occasionally one of these days pans out and I get home after lifts close and say "WTF, I'm still wearing my pyjamas?" But more often than not, I just go get coffee somewhere and head home. The season pass is all about the pyjama days. At least for  me. 

*Disclosure: I don't actually wear pyjamas, it's just a metaphor

post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 

 

Hmm good point snofun. I hadn't even considered MCP since I have no plans to ski outside BC next year (although I do have friends in SLC I should visit at some point). Didn't realize subsequent days are 50%, a much bigger discount than EDGE. WIll run the numbers tomorrow.

 

If you're going to another hill that's on the MCP, then in four free days you've covered the costs completely plus some depending on what hills you're going to.

 

I have a bud on staff  at WB, and after we fooled around with Edge, Friends and Family, and MCP, MCP was well ahead, and other area freebies was icing on the cake.

post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

This is a "locals" mentality. If I drive 2.5 hours to go ski, I will ski the whole damn day no matter what. This is why I come prepared with 2 or 3 pair of skis and versatile clothing to make the most of my DAY on the mountain.

"not mentally in the mood to ski"? th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif Why would you go to the mountain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

This is a "locals" mentality. If I drive 2.5 hours to go ski, I will ski the whole damn day no matter what. This is why I come prepared with 2 or 3 pair of skis and versatile clothing to make the most of my DAY on the mountain.

"not mentally in the mood to ski"? th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif Why would you go to the mountain?

Because we all don't live 2.5 hours from the mountain? Dunno... smile.gif. But I live 3 days from yours, so if I visit, I'll certainly bring a couple pairs of skis.
post #127 of 133

At the weekday rate of $82 for a day ticket at my home hill my weekday season pass breaks even at under 6 days. This year I had 34 days on the pass bringing my daily cost down to $13.35. Now if my home hill was closer than the 5+ hours it takes me to get there I certainly would've skied more days making it an even better deal. It's a little to far for day trips. I know people that live locally that get their daily cost down to under $5.

post #128 of 133
What is an "epic pass"?
post #129 of 133
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post

What is an "epic pass"?

 

It is a pass from Vail Resorts. There are many flavors for Colorado and California. In total, there are 14 resorts included.

 

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass.aspx

post #130 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2ski View Post

It is a pass from Vail Resorts. There are many flavors for Colorado and California. In total, there are 14 resorts included.

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass.aspx

And is that like unlimited skiing or only so many trips? That looks awesome from my east coast ski perspective


Like for 729 you can ski all those places as much as you want ? I think that would pay for it living here just flying out a few times .

I pay like 780$ for 3 mountains in NY frown.gif
post #131 of 133
Thread Starter 

With the full pass, unlimited and no blackout dates. Based on daily lift ticket prices at the window at the most expensive area, takes about 5 visits and it is paid for.

post #132 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

 

If you're going to another hill that's on the MCP, then in four free days you've covered the costs completely plus some depending on what hills you're going to.

 

I have a bud on staff  at WB, and after we fooled around with Edge, Friends and Family, and MCP, MCP was well ahead, and other area freebies was icing on the cake.

 

Hmm for my specific case (25-30 days at WB, few other days around BC but none at other MCP resorts) the math doesn't work out well. I'd have to hit a couple other MCP areas to make up the ~$225 gap between season pass and MCP. My 3 options assuming I do 25 WB days next year:

 

Season Pass:

$1,399 (also get a 20% discount on food and other random perks)

 

MCP:

MCP (2 WB days)  - $369

23 WB days @ 50% ($54.50)  - $1,254

Total = $1,622.

 

10 day EDGE:

(Includes opening - Dec 15 unlimited, I'll get 4-5 days)

EDGE $659

March 24 - end of season add-on $89 (I'll get 5-6 days)

5 additional mid season days @ $79 each = $395

Total = $1,143 - this will actually be lower as some of the mid season days will likely be $49 back country access lift tickets.

 

I've already gone with a 10 day EDGE card as I plan to only ski the resort on powder days and tour a lot more next year now that I have a real Dynafit setup. I'm over skiing hard snow :).


Edited by gramboh - 5/29/14 at 9:57am
post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post

What is an "epic pass"?

 

http://bit.ly/1oysNdc

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What is your "break even" point for your season pass?