or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Should I get into mountain biking?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I get into mountain biking? - Page 3

post #61 of 69

And honestly, don't discount v-brakes.  I used them for years and quite frankly, they work pretty well provided you don't ride in the rain/grit a lot.  I actually prefer their touch to disc.

post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott43 View Post

And honestly, don't discount v-brakes.  I used them for years and quite frankly, they work pretty well provided you don't ride in the rain/grit a lot.  I actually prefer their touch to disc.

New England. Nuff said.
post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post


New England. Nuff said.


Ha!  Fair enough..local knowledge!  :D

post #64 of 69

I apologize if I'm repeating stuff here.

 

I have a Motobecane Fantom 29 X5 from bikesdirect.  I love it. They have great prices, however, you're buying a "generic" frame.  My opinion with BD.com is that you're getting great components and a no name frame.  I think components are like ski boots. They're not the flashiest part of your gear, but if you go cheap, your experience is going to suffer.  Nothing worse than unwanted shifts uphill or brakes that constantly squeal.

 

I'll will second the Ergon grips previously mentioned.  I upgraded those immediately when I got my new bike.  They're cheap and do wonders for trail longevity.  Full finger gloves with padding are the way to go IMO.

 

I agree that pedal choice is key.  I prefer platform pedals with pins and a good biking shoe (i like 5.10). Platform pedals with pins WILL eat your shins when you slip, so don't slip off.

 

I usually wear an old softball jersey (poly) that breathes and doesn't hold sweat.  I also think padded shorts are key no matter your saddle.

 

I would strongly suggest a helmet. Unlike skiing, no matter where you fall when you're biking, it's going to be a hard landing.  I wear a bandanna or skull cap under my helmet to control the sweat in my eyes.

 

Eye wear is key for me. If you catch a face slapper (small branch that hits you in the face as you ride) in the eye, it can ruin your day. Even a little gnat in the eye at the wrong time can really suck  I prefer clear lenses.  I'm usually in the woods where I ride so I don't need to block the sun. I also wear them during night rides, the bugs get so thick you couldn't ride without eye protection.

 

I always carry water, I go through it like mad.  I prefer a hydro pack so I can also carry an extra tire tube, tool kit, snacks, phone, small speaker, and my iPod.

 

Where I ride, bug spray is mandatory.  I've already found too many ticks for my liking.

 

Strava is cool and a free way to track stats.  Not the most accurate, but like I said, free. 

post #65 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post


New England. Nuff said.

is that saying that a lot of braking needs to be done? I'm still concerned about the tendinitis in my hands. Maybe not so much holding the grips, but the finger movement required for braking and shifting gears is a concern.

post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis256 View Post
 
I'm still concerned about the tendinitis in my hands. Maybe not so much holding the grips, but the finger movement required for braking and shifting gears is a concern.

 

Get disk brakes.   They require much less finger strength compared to V brakes.   I'd guess the finger movement will be good for your tendinitis if you start slow and work your way up to longer rides.   It's the long downhills where you are breaking for an extended time that will be rough on your hands.  Disk brakes will help enormously in that case.   

post #67 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaconMeCrazy View Post

 

Eye wear is key for me. If you catch a face slapper (small branch that hits you in the face as you ride) in the eye, it can ruin your day. Even a little gnat in the eye at the wrong time can really suck  I prefer clear lenses.  I'm usually in the woods where I ride so I don't need to block the sun. I also wear them during night rides, the bugs get so thick you couldn't ride without eye protection.

 

 

True..I always wear Oakleys..I use the persimmon lens that's a bit better for flat light under trees and such, shows up dips and things a bit better..also offers a little UV protection if there is sun.  Definitely a must-have for me.

post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
 

 

Get disk brakes.   They require much less finger strength compared to V brakes.   I'd guess the finger movement will be good for your tendinitis if you start slow and work your way up to longer rides.   It's the long downhills where you are breaking for an extended time that will be rough on your hands.  Disk brakes will help enormously in that case.   


Yeah, and the New England comment was about the amount of wet they have to ride in.  Wet dirt roads kill v-brake pads and rims.  If it's fairly dry where you ride, or if you don't ride in wet conditions as a rule, v-brakes will last ok. 

post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott43 View Post
 
Wet dirt roads kill v-brake pads and rims.  If it's fairly dry where you ride, or if you don't ride in wet conditions as a rule, v-brakes will last ok. 

 

Yep.  It's dry in CO, so v-brake pads have lasted me for years.   Then, I burned through a set in one day on a 100 mile race in the rain.  The sun did not shine.  It was a cold, cold, wet day. ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Should I get into mountain biking?