or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Double Total Knee Replacement - Pre-Op Through Surgery Through Rehab Through Returning to Skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Double Total Knee Replacement - Pre-Op Through Surgery Through Rehab Through Returning to Skis - Page 2

post #31 of 56

Two friends have had both knees replaced.  One is a tree and glade skier and he's skiing better than at any point earlier in his skiing career.  The other is a woman NASTAR racer who is now consistently recording Platinum medal runs. 

 

My ortho is still recommending against my having either one replaced but I suspect it's just a question of time. 

post #32 of 56

When I was still on crutches and ready to start driving I had my doctor write me a letter saying that I could return to normal activities such as driving. I gave a copy to my boss, and kept a copy on file. Nice to hear you're almost done with crutches!

post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post


Thanks for the heads-up. I hadn't thought of that. I only drove a couple of times on our VERY rural gravel road. Plus, I warned the neighbors ahead of time to get out of my way. tongue.gif

Today is my last day with the single crutch. I seem to be getting along fairly well without crutches and am only taking one as backup when I go walking on the trails in the woods behind our house. Progress on the flexion range of motion seems to be coming more quickly now. I started riding an exercise bike yesterday, and that's apparently a fairly big milestone.


Ugh, I remember the first day I did full rotation on the exercise bike. That amount of flexion was so good/bad at the same time . . . and I only had an ACLr. More power to you, Bob.

post #34 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post
 


Ugh, I remember the first day I did full rotation on the exercise bike. That amount of flexion was so good/bad at the same time . . . and I only had an ACLr. More power to you, Bob.

Thanks, DSloan.  It's pretty funny watching me ride the exercise bike.  I'm now riding for 20 minutes at a time with almost no resistance and I'm basically exhausted when I finish.  It's incredible how much aerobic conditioning I've lost in only 3.5 weeks.  

 

That said, I'm actually starting to feel like I might live through the whole thing.  I'm getting better and better flexion and the "norm" now is that the knees only hurt when I'm trying to push the range of motion exercises.  

 

We're on our way up to Teton Park to do a little "walk in the Park" this afternoon.

post #35 of 56
Sounds like a big HOOOORAYYYYYY, Bob!!!!
post #36 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post

Sounds like a big HOOOORAYYYYYY, Bob!!!!

It was a big hooray yesterday.  I went out fishing for the first time since the surgery.  I had to be careful because I was gingerly walking around on riprap boulders, but I could throw a streamer fairly well and even caught a few fish.  It was tiring, but it was really nice to be getting back to some of the things I want to do outside.

post #37 of 56

I bet @Pete No. Idaho would love to talk fishing with you.  

 

Good to see you getting back to some of the normal stuff.  :yahoo:

post #38 of 56
Slippery rocks don't sound like the place to be while your bones are attaching themselves to the new knee implants.
post #39 of 56

I was thinking that same thing Kneale, but I also wonder how much strength is gained from the activity of walking on boulders like that.  IIRC my former father in law eventually did some exercises on a bosou ball after his knee replacement(though not a double knee replacement) to gain balance and stability.  Not sure about the extent of the work on his knee or how long after surgery it was. 

He was in his mid 70's and was still working at the gravel pit regularly, including climbing around on conveyors, so balance and agility wasn't an issue other than the bad knee. 

post #40 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post

Slippery rocks don't sound like the place to be while your bones are attaching themselves to the new knee implants.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I was thinking that same thing Kneale, but I also wonder how much strength is gained from the activity of walking on boulders like that.  IIRC my former father in law eventually did some exercises on a bosou ball after his knee replacement(though not a double knee replacement) to gain balance and stability.  Not sure about the extent of the work on his knee or how long after surgery it was. 

He was in his mid 70's and was still working at the gravel pit regularly, including climbing around on conveyors, so balance and agility wasn't an issue other than the bad knee. 

Thanks for the concern, you two.  I was just walking along a grassy, gravelly bank.  The riprap boulders were something I had to avoid with my casts but I wasn't trying to walk on them (yet;)).  No wading and no wet boulders or rocks.  It was pretty low-key as far as my normal fishing adventures might go.  

 

My physical therapist has already started me working on balance and agility.  I've been doing one-legged stands at home on a bosu ball (soft side) for the last four or five days.  I also do this diabolical balance routine at PT that involves balancing one-legged on this suspended board thing and throwing a medicine ball back and forth on a trampoline.  This thing is a real trip:

 

post #41 of 56

Next week eh??

 

post #42 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Next week eh??

 

 

Ha!

 

I bet my doc would love that.

 

On an interesting sidenote, that movie is like the birth of Christ as far as flyfishing history is concerned.  Before ARRTI, flyfishing was this quaint little unnoticed sport that a few people were passionate about and most people couldn't care less about.  After ARRTI, it wasn't long before EVERYBODY wanted to go flyfishing (and they took their dogs along, too).

 

I liken it to Teton Gravity Reseach (or perhaps Greg Stump) ruining powder skiing by making everybody want to do it.

post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
 

 

 

... I also do this diabolical balance routine at PT that involves balancing one-legged on this suspended board thing and throwing a medicine ball back and forth on a trampoline.  This thing is a real trip:

 

That looks like fun!   

post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
 

It was a big hooray yesterday.  I went out fishing for the first time since the surgery.  I had to be careful because I was gingerly walking around on riprap boulders, but I could throw a streamer fairly well and even caught a few fish.  It was tiring, but it was really nice to be getting back to some of the things I want to do outside.

The Bob Peters saga continues to grow.

Mere mortals go fishing.....Bob Peters goes catching!

 

Bob,

You've got to be healthy for this year's Gathering, so that those who have never skied with you will never say "Bob Peters is just an OK skier". Oh, the pressure to live up to legend status. I'll never give advice on how to rehab, but, my body, which has a few years on Bob's, needs all the balance work I can give it. I'm also doing some rehab on a minor knee tweak and cycling is a great exercise.

 

Finally, the novel A River Runs Through It is an excellent read!


Edited by Living Proof - 6/23/14 at 4:22pm
post #45 of 56

Glad to hear you are doing well Bob.  Hey wading and fishing are what keep us alive and kicking!       Streams just starting to get into shape up here.

post #46 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post

Glad to hear you are doing well Bob.  Hey wading and fishing are what keep us alive and kicking!       Streams just starting to get into shape up here.

Thanks, Pete.

We're just starting to come out of runoff also. I figure I have about three more weeks before I can handle wading on the Snake River's notoriously snot-covered cobbles. Until then, I would love to hear reports on how your fishing is going.
post #47 of 56

Bob~  You will be so happy you had your knees replace and even happier you did them at the same time.  A few months after my 60th birthday (five years ago) I went in for bi-lat TKR.  Four months later I hiked Shrine Mountain Pass near Vail. It's an easy hike.  Be sure to do your therapies, take the pain med's, get in a therapy pool and ride a stationary bike.  Once the pain from surgery is gone you will be relieved from the pain prior to surgery.  From 58-60 I slowly gave up running, skiing, back country skiing, and eventually biking had to go, too. The post-op pain was so bad I rarely had a decent nights sleep.

 

Last month I had my five year check up and all is good.  I gave up alpine skiing just because I'm so anti-social, but I'm sure I could do it.  I ski the back country, mountain bike and hike with zero problems. Yesterday I was hiking down a 40 degree slope and bombing it.  It was the most fun next to trail running which I do sparingly on the advise of my surgeon. The funny thing is I walk differently.  I feel a bit Frankenstein-ish, though it's nothing noticeable.  It's just how I feel.  If I sit a long time when I stand it takes about four steps to get up to speed.  

My knees were shot from years of running, trail running, teaching high impact aerobics, plyometrics and living a fun and active life.  No regrets on being an active person and no regrets on knee replacements.  

 

The most important things are go to a surgeon who does hundreds of these surgeries a year, start therapies as soon after surgery as possible and don't stop until you are cranking again.

 

BTW I had my left big toe joint fused in January, also with no residual issues.  Hiking, biking, a little trail running and all is ok.

post #48 of 56

Glad it's going so well for you, Bob.

Still hope to have a chance to buy you a beer in JH someday.

post #49 of 56

Hey buddy - happy to see you're doing so well, anytime you're ready I'll have a kickass fishing trip ready for ya, from the short hike into Thelma to a float on the BH, BLC or 

Green, your call.









 

 

 

 

 

or Green

post #50 of 56

@Bob Peters

 

late on this but so glad to hear all is progressing well!

 

I just checked and it appears this device was just outlawed by the UN council for human rights :D

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
 

 

 

Thanks for the concern, you two.  I was just walking along a grassy, gravelly bank.  The riprap boulders were something I had to avoid with my casts but I wasn't trying to walk on them (yet;)).  No wading and no wet boulders or rocks.  It was pretty low-key as far as my normal fishing adventures might go.  

 

My physical therapist has already started me working on balance and agility.  I've been doing one-legged stands at home on a bosu ball (soft side) for the last four or five days.  I also do this diabolical balance routine at PT that involves balancing one-legged on this suspended board thing and throwing a medicine ball back and forth on a trampoline.  This thing is a real trip:

 

post #51 of 56

I found doing ROM exercises in the pool really helped me the most.  I wish both of you the best in your rehab and would love to hear more.

post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 

I found doing ROM exercises in the pool really helped me the most.  I wish both of you the best in your rehab and would love to hear more.

  pool/ stream, a stream is good for Bob ;)

post #53 of 56

@Bob Peters 

 

Update please?  Hope all is on track.  Cheers

post #54 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post
 

@Bob Peters 

 

Update please?  Hope all is on track.  Cheers

Thanks, Finn.

 

Sorry for being so lax on updates.  My life has been kind of a blur for the last couple of months.  I really am going to post a blow-by-blow recovery thread on how this has all gone.

 

Suffice to say that TODAY, I did my first fairly significant post-surgery hike at altitude.  I walked from the top of the JH tram to the top of Cody Peak and back.  It was a ridiculously beautiful September day in Jackson Hole and my knees were outstanding.  I'm now three months and two weeks out from surgery and I can't imagine how the result could be any more positive.

 

So outstanding, in fact, that I'm going back up on Thursday to ski a little remnant patch of snow and start my ski streak all over again.

 

Photos to follow.

post #55 of 56
Hooooorraaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy, Bob.
post #56 of 56

Hope you have a great ski season Bob!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › Double Total Knee Replacement - Pre-Op Through Surgery Through Rehab Through Returning to Skis