or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Extreme chutes, 50+ degree couloirs and straightlines
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Extreme chutes, 50+ degree couloirs and straightlines - Page 5

post #121 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
 

 

Sorry.  Are we fired?

 

Try TGR.


No. :) You are not fired.

I don't like TGR.

But let's get two more [Title Name] for the next update!

 

Snails,

SkiWhistler

:beercheer:

 

Ok ok how about Stauffenburgs on Taos west ridge or another chute over there. I think the very top section could be 50*

post #122 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

well for me honestly it is. My videos prove that I can ski tree faster than just about anyone else.

 

:bs:

 

Someone like Candide would ditch you in 2 seconds.  There's plenty of video to prove it.

 

You'd also get ditched by dozens of people on TGR, which deep down you know.

post #123 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

 

:bs:

 

Someone like Candide would ditch you in 2 seconds.  There's plenty of video to prove it.

 

You'd also get ditched by dozens of people on TGR, which deep down you know.

 

 

in my woods I am not so sure. I have skied with a ton of the meathead guys and gals and they are nothing special from technical stand point.  I doubt western big mountain skier would be any better at it. They simply do not have the technique to do rapid controlled short turns.The nice thing is in tight eastern woods technical stand point wins over balls all the time. 

 

its funny for an intermiedate skier from cali you sure seem to have tons of problem with me. You can not even figure out your own alignment.

post #124 of 304

Well, Cody gave you Spacewalk in Rock Springs Bowl at Jackson, why not Zero G?

 

At Big Sky, how about the Little Couloir?

 

Mike

post #125 of 304
Jay- Josh's self esteem is unquestionably sky-high, but face it, the guy rips. You won't get to where he is at PSIA without being a ripping good skier. Of course a dose of humility will be icing on the cake, but you can't ask for everything.
post #126 of 304

There are zero tight trees anywhere outside northern VT, that's for sure. 

Seriously, none. :rotflmao:

They must grow they with fairy dust or something.

Such a silly mindset to have...

post #127 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

 

in my woods I am not so sure. I have skied with a ton of the meathead guys and gals and they are nothing special from technical stand point.  I doubt western big mountain skier would be any better at it. They simply do not have the technique to do rapid controlled short turns.The nice thing is in tight eastern woods technical stand point wins over balls all the time. 

 

its funny for an intermiedate skier from cali you sure seem to have tons of problem with me. You can not even figure out your own alignment.

 

Josh, I just have a problem with you being such an insufferable douche.  Fat kid complex run amock.

 

Not taking the bait, otherwise.

 

Shall I start a TGR thread to bring out the first hand witnesses?

 

I've seen your videos - that you think you're a better tight tree skier than just about anyone is laughable.  Contrary to what you've convinced yourself, you're just not anywhere close to this level:

 

 


Edited by JayT - 5/3/14 at 4:34pm
post #128 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBillsFan View Post

There are zero tight trees anywhere outside northern VT, that's for sure. 



Seriously, none. " src="/img/vbsmilies/smilies/roflmao.gif" />



They must grow they with fairy dust or something.



Such a silly mindset to have...


 



I know you're being sarcastic, but if you want some REALLY tight trees, check out Lucky Friday at Bogus Basin. It's been a long time since I've been there and I don't remember it super well, and it was one of my first times skiing in the mountains (I lived in the midwest back then) and it was really crusty snow, so I'm sure my perception is a bit biased. But I do remember picking my way through the whole thing and taking a really long time to get down. I wouldn't even call it skiing. It would be interesting to go back there now and see how bad it really is.
post #129 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
 
I know you're being sarcastic, but if you want some REALLY tight trees, check out Lucky Friday at Bogus Basin. It's been a long time since I've been there and I don't remember it super well, and it was one of my first times skiing in the mountains (I lived in the midwest back then) and it was really crusty snow, so I'm sure my perception is a bit biased. But I do remember picking my way through the whole thing and taking a really long time to get down. I wouldn't even call it skiing. It would be interesting to go back there now and see how bad it really is.

I've always believed that there is a fine line between skiing "tight trees" and "bushwhacking" . I believe this is more of the 2nd.... :D

post #130 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBillsFan View Post

I've always believed that there is a fine line between skiing "tight trees" and "bushwhacking" . I believe this is more of the 2nd.... " src="/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif">

 



Oh yes, I fully agree. Have you ever 'skied' it?
post #131 of 304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

Ok ok how about Stauffenburgs on Taos west ridge or another chute over there. I think the very top section could be 50*

I've skied at Taos but never heard of Staufenburg's. (Sounds Germanian.) I would like to see a photo. Thanks

post #132 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

Ok ok how about Stauffenburgs on Taos west ridge or another chute over there. I think the very top section could be 50*

I've skied at Taos but never heard of Staufenburg's. (Sounds Germanian.) I would like to see a photo. Thanks

 Ask and ye shall receive

Pic #4,5,6 in this TR

http://www.epicski.com/t/111216/taos-3-4-3-6

Again, its really just the top section that may be 50*

post #133 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

 

Josh, I just have a problem with you being such an insufferable douche.  Fat kid complex run amock.

 

Not taking the bait, otherwise.

 

Shall I start a TGR thread to bring out the first hand witnesses?

 

I've seen your videos - that you think you're a better tight tree skier than just about anyone is laughable.  Contrary to what you've convinced yourself, you're just not anywhere close to this level:

 

 

Those dudes are insane. That is all.

post #134 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

Ok ok how about Stauffenburgs on Taos west ridge or another chute over there. I think the very top section could be 50*

I think not. BTW--some years ago Skiing (or was it Ski) did a piece on Alpine Meadows and claimed D8 was 45 degrees. This is a run that is regularly groomed--30 degrees max. Unless a run has been measured with an inclinometer I don't believe any steepness claims. 

post #135 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post

 Ok ok how about Stauffenburgs on Taos west ridge or another chute over there. I think the very top section could be 50*

I've skied at Taos but never heard of Staufenburg's. (Sounds Germanian.) I would like to see a photo. Thanks

If you've skied at Taos and never heard of Stauffenberg then you did it wrong.

I don't know, or care, what the steepness measures out to, but it isn't the steepest run at Taos.
post #136 of 304

Depends. When did the west basin open to the public?

post #137 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post

My videos prove that I can ski tree faster than just about anyone else.

Wait, that was you in G.N.A.R? "I'm SO MUCH better than you!" But you're no Shane McConkey.
post #138 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
 

 

Sorry.  Are we fired?

 

Try TGR.


no, please don't.........

post #139 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

 

Josh, I just have a problem with you being such an insufferable douche.  Fat kid complex run amock.

 

Not taking the bait, otherwise.

 

Shall I start a TGR thread to bring out the first hand witnesses?

 

I've seen your videos - that you think you're a better tight tree skier than just about anyone is laughable.  Contrary to what you've convinced yourself, you're just not anywhere close to this level:

 

 

 

 

not sure you really ski with anyone from TGR......

 

agains those tree are not actually that tight, but I am flattered you have to find video of candide to try to put me down. 

post #140 of 304

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/277250-Josh-Matta-is-One-of-the-Best-Skiers-on-the-Planet 

 

the ultimate in trolling is getting someone so pissed they start a thread about you only to be put down by the maggots. You have no idea the ally I could be to you eh?  surprised you have no been JONGed yet.

 

editted sadly JayT realized his mistake and deleted the TGR thread. 


Edited by Josh Matta - 5/3/14 at 9:10pm
post #141 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post
 

Well, Cody gave you Spacewalk in Rock Springs Bowl at Jackson, why not Zero G?

 

Mike

Neither of those are inbounds.  That's why I haven't chimed in with anything about Jackson Hole.

 

Other than a few spots inbounds that are 50 degrees (that I've measured, actually) for maybe three turns or so, there's just nothing inbounds that's even 45 degrees.  Sorry I couldn't add to the OP's list.  I feel badly about that.

 

But this gives me an excuse to post a summer photo of Zero G that I've always thought was fairly dramatic.  It was taken on the Rock Springs hiking trail during the summer.  The "standard" descent route is marked in red:

 

 

 

 

 

And here is one of Josh Matta's friends just below the crux on April Fool's Day, 2008:

 

 

Ahhh...  memories.

post #142 of 304
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post


If you've skied at Taos and never heard of Stauffenberg then you did it wrong.

I don't know, or care, what the steepness measures out to, but it isn't the steepest run at Taos.


I didn't really look at the trail map there. I called Lower Stauffenberg "West ridge run out" and didn't pay attention to the main section.

When I go there next year i'll pay a visit.

post #143 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post

You have no idea the ally I could be to you eh?

roflmao.gif

That was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post

I didn't really look at the trail map [at Taos]. I called Lower Stauffenberg "West ridge run out" and didn't pay attention to the main section.
When I go there next year i'll pay a visit.

Ask around for the North Face.
post #144 of 304

How about a thread where JM doesn't try to boast about his greatness. Can we try for a change? 

Geez, it's fucking groundhog day around here lately. 

post #145 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericz721 View Post
 
Quote:

 

Those dudes are insane. That is all.

 

Its like they are playing a video game. You know you are an expert if your skiing looks like you are playing a video game

post #146 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/277250-Josh-Matta-is-One-of-the-Best-Skiers-on-the-Planet 

 

the ultimate in trolling is getting someone so pissed they start a thread about you only to be put down by the maggots. You have no idea the ally I could be to you eh?  surprised you have no been JONGed yet.

 

editted sadly JayT realized his mistake and deleted the TGR thread. 

 

jayT getting soft.

post #147 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

sadly JayT realized his mistake and deleted the TGR thread. 

 

Yep, I deleted it shortly after posting.  It's like arguing with a street bum farting the national anthem out of kazoo who claims he's more talented than Mozart.  When someone is clearly detached from reality there's no point.  So carry on c***ing up every thread here with your self-fellating nonsense.

post #148 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

But he is agreeing with you

 

Yeah, pretty slick actually, I do have to give him some credit for that. ;) Now maybe we can go back to beating up on Josh Matta or whatever his name is. 

post #149 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

 

well for me honestly it is. My videos prove that I can ski tree faster than just about anyone else. No more internet bullshit...you can not say you can ski woods better than me because guess what you(and i do not mean you mudfoot) can not. it also is great ammunition for those who say stowe gets no snow.

 

 

 

Josh,

 

I would truly like to thank you for the laugh this morning.  I watched your video for about a minute and was laughing so hard that I about sprayed coffee out of my nose. Your video proves that yes, you do kill it in the trees. I have never seen anyone actually post a video of themselves skiing such low angle trees shots in the middle of a thread about steep skiing, and then "claiming" they ski trees faster then anyone else. Awesome stuff... Keep up the good work... 

post #150 of 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

 

 

 

 

Ces mecs savent comment skier.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Extreme chutes, 50+ degree couloirs and straightlines