or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snowbird or Abasin May 9th? - Page 2

post #31 of 45

I skied A-Basin on the 16th mostly on Pali. Started skiing at 7 am after a few inches of powder the night before. Nice to have a little fresh snow on top of the freeze. Main Street, Spine, and Face were nice. Unfortunately, my hamstring made me call it quits for the day before noon. But from talking to everyone else, the snow held up well and was firm.

post #32 of 45
Quote:
I'd think Snowbird would be even more susceptible to dust given its proximity to the desert, but I don't recall any in my many years at Alta for closing weekend. 

Prevailing winds are west to east.   I'm guessing the farther east (and probably south) you are in the Rockies the more susceptible you are to the dust in spring.  I do know from locals that AltaBird can get it sometimes.

 

I've also read of major dust events in spring in Japan from the northern deserts in China.

post #33 of 45
You kids stay off my cryptobiotic soil!

But, yea, strong SW winds out of the desert SW are going to hit CO more than northern UT. Same effect that gives us red flag weather days.
post #34 of 45

I know a-basin closes the pali chair once it gets significantly warm due to the web slab avalanche risk, they are being very cautious due to the inbound avalanche that killed a skier in 05. I was there around may 9th last year, and the mountain was 100% open, and we had less snow as well.

 

I'd go a-basin

post #35 of 45

Didn't happen to run into you today.  We'll be trying to get a beach spot Saturday morning.  Give us a should. 

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post

I know a-basin closes the pali chair once it gets significantly warm due to the web slab avalanche risk, they are being very cautious due to the inbound avalanche that killed a skier in 05. I was there around may 9th last year, and the mountain was 100% open, and we had less snow as well.

I'd go a-basin
Pali chair reopened. Chatted with a couple of patrollers who said the indicators improved when it got colder, so they reopened.
Before the lifts opened Thursday there was a well drilling rig working on the flat between the black mountain lift and the patrol building. Probably more undersnow water flow monitoring.
post #37 of 45
So where did you go?
post #38 of 45

For a May 9th trip?  Hopefully he chose the bird...

 

post #39 of 45
Methinks based on the A-Basin trip report that he was at the Mother's Day Gathering.

Where it also snowed a couple feet smile.gif
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayBreak View Post

Methinks based on the A-Basin trip report that he was at the Mother's Day Gathering.

Where it also snowed a couple feet smile.gif

Dang its been amazing skiing at A-Basin!  

From spring corn to 2 ft of powder, we've had it all!

post #41 of 45
Thread Starter 

We ended up skiing abasin and had a great time.  I would share pictures but somehow I managed to lose my camera on the slopes.  If anyone found a dark red cannon camera, let me know.  I think I lost it hiking the north pole area.

 

We skied Saturday and Sunday.  Both had lots of new snow.  We skied just about every part of the mountain.  The lower east wall (sat. only), pali and the Montezuma trees (sunday) were great.  I also hiked to and skied 1st notch.  It's a solid expert run that is steep and narrow but still very skiable. 

 

This is the second year in a row I took a late season trip to abasin and it is great.  Last year I went early enough that I got to ski Loveland and Winter Park too which is adds some nice variety.  Abasin is looking into an expansion into the beavers area that would really be cool.  I hope it happens soon.

post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvg View Post
 

We ended up skiing abasin and had a great time.  I would share pictures but somehow I managed to lose my camera on the slopes.  If anyone found a dark red cannon camera, let me know.  I think I lost it hiking the north pole area.

 

We skied Saturday and Sunday.  Both had lots of new snow.  We skied just about every part of the mountain.  The lower east wall (sat. only), pali and the Montezuma trees (sunday) were great.  I also hiked to and skied 1st notch.  It's a solid expert run that is steep and narrow but still very skiable. 

 

This is the second year in a row I took a late season trip to abasin and it is great.  Last year I went early enough that I got to ski Loveland and Winter Park too which is adds some nice variety.  Abasin is looking into an expansion into the beavers area that would really be cool.  I hope it happens soon.

I seriously wish you'd hooked up with us.  Would have been great to meet you. 

 

@Philpug  and I got to Colorado the week before and skied Loveland before Arapahoe Basin.  This two weeks of skiing has delivered every kind of snow condition we could imagine and its been a blast. 

I will check lost and found when I go back and see if they have your camera.  

Some pretty good photos in the TR thread. 

http://www.epicski.com/t/127906/trip-report-8th-annual-arapahoe-basin-for-mothers-day/60#post_1734878

post #43 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

I seriously wish you'd hooked up with us.  Would have been great to meet you. 

 

@Philpug  and I got to Colorado the week before and skied Loveland before Arapahoe Basin.  This two weeks of skiing has delivered every kind of snow condition we could imagine and its been a blast. 

I will check lost and found when I go back and see if they have your camera.  

Some pretty good photos in the TR thread. 

http://www.epicski.com/t/127906/trip-report-8th-annual-arapahoe-basin-for-mothers-day/60#post_1734878

Thanks for checking lost and found.  I checked before I left but maybe it turned up later. 

 

We didn't get a chance to meet this time but I'm sure we'll have another chance.  Enjoy the end of the season skiing.

post #44 of 45

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvg View Post
 

We ended up skiing abasin and had a great time.  I would share pictures but somehow I managed to lose my camera on the slopes.  If anyone found a dark red cannon camera, let me know.  I think I lost it hiking the north pole area.

 

We skied Saturday and Sunday.  Both had lots of new snow.  We skied just about every part of the mountain.  The lower east wall (sat. only), pali and the Montezuma trees (sunday) were great.  I also hiked to and skied 1st notch.  It's a solid expert run that is steep and narrow but still very skiable. 

 

This is the second year in a row I took a late season trip to abasin and it is great.  Last year I went early enough that I got to ski Loveland and Winter Park too which is adds some nice variety.  Abasin is looking into an expansion into the beavers area that would really be cool.  I hope it happens soon.

I didn't get a chance to get back up there today because work got in the way, but I believe @Magi and @tball will be around.  Lets see if they can check for you.

post #45 of 45

I won't be back up until early next week sometime, unfortunately.   I'd suggest giving A-basin a call to check occasionally.  They are generally very friendly and helpful.  If they found your camera, one of us could ship it to you if they won't.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel