EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Roadies: Do you have an everyday cassette, and a mountain cassette?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roadies: Do you have an everyday cassette, and a mountain cassette? - Page 3

post #61 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by medmarkco View Post
 

11-28 requires a 4t-5t jump somewhere in a 10sp cassette - 11,12,13,14,15,16,17 ... 22,25,28 usually.  Big gap 17-22.   Good for tight ratios in moderate terrain with some "leg savers" for short steep grades.

 

12-28 (or 12-27) transitions across the gap better for long grade rides.  12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28. 

 

 

Here are my current Ultegra cassettes:

 

11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 17 - 19 - 21 - 23 - 25 T

11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 17 - 19 - 21 - 24 - 28 T

post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super D View Post
 

 

 

Here are my current Ultegra cassettes:

 

11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 17 - 19 - 21 - 23 - 25 T

11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 17 - 19 - 21 - 24 - 28 T

I rented a bike in Seattle past 2 weeks with Ultegra 11-28.  Mostly rides around suburban Seattle and it was frustrating without the 16.  Started to get used to it about the time I checked it back in.  Third time renting that bike on trips to see family - same issue every time.  Next time I take my own cassette to mount on it.  

 

Specialized Roubaix with raised head tube geometry ... made me feel like I was sitting straight up on the thing.  Tough riding unfamiliar bikes.  :)

post #63 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by medmarkco View Post
 

I rented a bike in Seattle past 2 weeks with Ultegra 11-28.  Mostly rides around suburban Seattle and it was frustrating without the 16.  Started to get used to it about the time I checked it back in.  Third time renting that bike on trips to see family - same issue every time.  Next time I take my own cassette to mount on it.  

 

Specialized Roubaix with raised head tube geometry ... made me feel like I was sitting straight up on the thing.  Tough riding unfamiliar bikes.  :)

 

I've been riding a 12-25 105 cassette on a previous bike for a few years, so I'm pretty used to it. What I'm not used to is those last two cogs on the 11-28 setup, so I'm thinking this won't be too tough of a transition. Will report back. 

post #64 of 74
Thread Starter 
I decided to try out the 11-28 and you know what? It's fine. Since it's identical to the -25 until the last two cogs, it just gives insurance that you won't run out of gears if a monster climb gets thrown into a training ride. Enjoying the 52-36 Ultegra crank, and the cassette is versatile. I think I'll sell the other cassette on CL, and will run this setup for a while.
post #65 of 74

About to drop an 11-28 Sram Red on my Focus Izalco Ergoride.  Will be interested to see the impact as I had a Shimano 11-28 on my old Trek 1.9 which would haul me out of trouble deep into a ride.

post #66 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
 

About to drop an 11-28 Sram Red on my Focus Izalco Ergoride.  Will be interested to see the impact as I had a Shimano 11-28 on my old Trek 1.9 which would haul me out of trouble deep into a ride.

 

I think I used the 28 maybe twice for about a minute each time in the last two weeks, just to keep cadence up. I could've stood in the 21 or 24 as I do in intervals on climbs, but it was nice to be able to just sit and spin on a stout hill section.

post #67 of 74
Thread Starter 

Following up on this, last year, I used compact, mid-compact and standard 53/39 chainrings, and ended up sticking with standard.

 

Paired with my 11-28 cassette, I haven't run into anything this setup can't handle decently. 

 

I'll get a smaller cassette for races, so there's a smaller jump in gearing if it's a hilly course, but that won't really see much action. The Ultegra cassettes are cheap enough that it's not too big of a deal to have a spare (have bought them for about $45 on sale a couple times).

post #68 of 74

Every day cassette is a 12-21 with 53/39
 

Climbing cassette is 11-28 with 50/39

post #69 of 74

I've got a cyclo cross bike that I take up some very steep sections of back-road and hardpack, probably 20% gradients and I put a mountain bike 11-32 on it instead of the 11-25 it came with, which for me wasn't cutting it. But I'm an endurance rider, mountain biker and cyclo-tourer not a racer. I think I could do everything with an 11-28, but with luggage on tours it might not work so well.

post #70 of 74
Various cassettes with various bikes.
post #71 of 74

I put a Mt. Bike cassette 32/12 on my ancient road bike since I live in the Mts.

post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post
 

I put a Mt. Bike cassette 32/12 on my ancient road bike since I live in the Mts.

 

considering how short derailleur cages were in years even remotely corresponding to 'ancient', I'm guessing either the bike is '98 or later or you also swapped derailleurs.

post #73 of 74

I don't know the age of the bike, but I took it out of someones trash in the mid '00s. I only had to add pedals and replace the cables. Someone had removed all decals and painted it black. It runs great with downtube shifters set to friction (not indexed) mode as I changed the number of cogs.

 

 

It's a suntour drivetrain. 52T(?) for the big ring. I just avoid cross chains.

post #74 of 74

Nice, I love recovered trash bikes.     I have three of them at the mo'-  a Giant Cadex with RX100 (110mm double), a Diamondback steelie with Biopace that's on the trainer and a Gary Fischer Sugar 3 that only needs a seal replacement on the shock and a rear wheel.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Roadies: Do you have an everyday cassette, and a mountain cassette?