or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Market Place › Gear Swap - Buy & Sell Gear › FS '11 Blizzard GS Magnesium Plate Race Skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FS '11 Blizzard GS Magnesium Plate Race Skis

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
W/ marker comp 16 bindings and piston plates. Everything is in pristine condition with no visible wear. I had less than a half day of skiing on the skis/bindings/plates. No sidewall modification or side/base edge tuning whatsoever. The skis will come with a thick coat of storage wax on the bases. $300 + $20 shipping--shipping is waived for a local pickup in L.A. Payment by cash/money order/western union is encouraged.

PM if interested. Pics will be posted in a next few days.
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
191cm / 27m r
post #3 of 9
I've seen this ski on big discount at skis.com without bindings and had wondered if it would work for me. I'm not looking for a race ski, just a carver for east coast conditions that will handle my size. I'm 6'7" tall (200 cm) and weigh 230 lb. Reasonably good condition for my age (56) with gym workouts, no real on-the-road training anymore with my back problems. I ski mostly in the Poconos at 1000 ft mountains like Blue and Elk Mountain with an annual trip to NE thrown in. As an advancing intermediate, I don't ski aggressively or too fast, but like long GS type turns. Don't ski moguls or trees, but can navigate the bumps okay. Afraid this is too much ski for my needs and I'll be done for the day after just a few runs. I don't crank up the DIN too high either so these bindings might be out of my league. Too intriguing to not at least ask. The problem is that cheater GS/race skis don't come this long.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTL View Post

I'm 6'7" tall (200 cm) and weigh 230 lb. Reasonably good condition for my age (56) with gym workouts, no real on-the-road training anymore with my back problems. I ski mostly in the Poconos at 1000 ft mountains like Blue and Elk Mountain with an annual trip to NE thrown in. As an advancing intermediate, I don't ski aggressively or too fast, but like long GS type turns. Don't ski moguls or trees, but can navigate the bumps okay...Too intriguing to not at least ask. The problem is that cheater GS/race skis don't come this long.

It sounds like we have a lot of similarity except I'm shorter and a bit younger and probably less fit/conditioned...I'm 5'8" (173cm) tall and 145 lbs heavy. I have 180 cm FIS GS skis and 175 cm cheater GS's, and I routinely drive them or my other SL skis pretty hard from half day to full day without any problem. I don't consider myself super fit or conditioned. I'm not a gym rat or active in playing sports other than skiing. I'm more of a self learner with a few sparse coaching here and there.
post #5 of 9
LOL on our similarities! Still FS? Kind of hoping some of the experts here would chime in and let me know if I'm getting in over my head with a true GS race ski.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTL View Post

LOL on our similarities! Still FS? Kind of hoping some of the experts here would chime in and let me know if I'm getting in over my head with a true GS race ski.

Yes. yes you are.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLTL View Post

I've seen this ski on big discount at skis.com without bindings and had wondered if it would work for me. I'm not looking for a race ski, just a carver for east coast conditions that will handle my size. I'm 6'7" tall (200 cm) and weigh 230 lb. Reasonably good condition for my age (56) with gym workouts, no real on-the-road training anymore with my back problems. I ski mostly in the Poconos at 1000 ft mountains like Blue and Elk Mountain with an annual trip to NE thrown in. As an advancing intermediate, I don't ski aggressively or too fast, but like long GS type turns. Don't ski moguls or trees, but can navigate the bumps okay. Afraid this is too much ski for my needs and I'll be done for the day after just a few runs. I don't crank up the DIN too high either so these bindings might be out of my league. Too intriguing to not at least ask. The problem is that cheater GS/race skis don't come this long.

 

The bolded statements are not compatible with FIS-legal GS race skis (which is what these are).

 

FIS-legal GS race skis come "alive" at speeds that make the ski patrol take notice, and not in a good way.  They are designed to do one thing, and that is make big turns at high speeds.  You can ski them any way you like (i.e., slow, non-race turns), but you're not going to see what's so special about them.  It's like buying a Ferrari to go grocery shopping.  It'll work, but it wants to open the throttle, big time.

 

 

post #8 of 9
Thanks for the honest input. I suspected as much, but don't know where else to turn for east coast skis to fit my size. Skis > 190 cm tend to be quite wide and powder oriented. Guess that's better than too stiff and too fast. They sure do look nice.rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Yes, they're still FS. PM me w/ a BO if you want to at least give a cheap "Ferrari" a try as one put it here. I don't see anything wrong in driving it for groceries and letting it loose occasionally. You never know until you try for yourself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Gear Swap - Buy & Sell Gear
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Market Place › Gear Swap - Buy & Sell Gear › FS '11 Blizzard GS Magnesium Plate Race Skis