or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Multi year ski storage with the same coat of wax?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi year ski storage with the same coat of wax?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have some skis from last year that I likely won't ski even once this season (clearly, I need to downsize my quiver). They still have the last year storage wax on them....I'm wondering if I should scrape/reapply wax or keep them as is for another year. Any thoughts?
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post

I have some skis from last year that I likely won't ski even once this season (clearly, I need to downsize my quiver). They still have the last year storage wax on them....I'm wondering if I should scrape/reapply wax or keep them as is for another year. Any thoughts?

 

I don't know what the knowledgeable folks would say, but this thread... http://www.epicski.com/t/127327/k2-812-1983-84-model-are-you-kidding-me refers to a pair of skis that I probably haven't skied for over 15 years.

 

When I got them out of storage, there was still a thick coat of wax on them.  When I put them back into storage yesterday, I put a thick coat back on them and at the tips and tails I was re-melting wax that I had applied  more than a decade ago.  

 

Most interesting of all is that none of my friends could out-run me on cat-tracks when we were coming down the mountain with me on the old boards.  Whatever wax I had put on them many years ago seemed to still be pretty functional.

 

Don't scrape them.  Glob the wax on, iron it in sort or, and put them away.  It'll be okay.

post #3 of 9
You skied them. He hasn't. So, I'd leave them be.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post

I don't know what the knowledgeable folks would say, but this thread... http://www.epicski.com/t/127327/k2-812-1983-84-model-are-you-kidding-me refers to a pair of skis that I probably haven't skied for over 15 years.

When I got them out of storage, there was still a thick coat of wax on them.  When I put them back into storage yesterday, I put a thick coat back on them and at the tips and tails I was re-melting wax that I had applied  more than a decade ago.  

Most interesting of all is that none of my friends could out-run me on cat-tracks when we were coming down the mountain with me on the old boards.  Whatever wax I had put on them many years ago seemed to still be pretty functional.

Don't scrape them.  Glob the wax on, iron it in sort or, and put them away.  It'll be okay.

Was it toko silver bob? biggrin.gif
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
That'll do for me...Thanks to all!
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

You skied them. He hasn't. So, I'd leave them be.

 

Thanks for pointing that out.    

 

I forgot to sum it up by saying as long as they have wax on them, don't bother with anything else.  :o

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post


Was it toko silver bob? biggrin.gif

 

If I'd had some, I would have used it.  Would have looked very appropriate.  

 

Thanks for the memories... I can recall melting that stuff onto skis.  It looked like liquid mercury.

post #7 of 9
I've seen skis with storage wax that was dry and crusty..It was hard to get off. Check em every once in a while to make sure its still "waxy".
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post


Was it toko silver bob? biggrin.gif


I think I still have a little chunk of that stuff, circa 1982.  That was some "serious" wax. ;)

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
 


I think I still have a little chunk of that stuff, circa 1982.  That was some "serious" wax. ;)

yeah, and one small block lasted forever!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Multi year ski storage with the same coat of wax?